I myself am the bread of life... me!
  • OlbashOlbash
    I think I'm going to be called on the carpet for refusing to play Rory Cooney's "Bread of Life" at a parish where I'm in a somewhat luicrative long-term interim situation. Any well-chosen words I could use in my defense when the pastoral associates meet with me this week? If I don't have a gentle and reasoned response prepared, I'm afraid I'll just bark and ruin a good thing.
  • Well, the obvious answer is that it is a wholesale distortion of the teaching of the Church, that is to say, heresy, and the greatest act of Christian charity we can exercise is love. If we love the people in our parish, we don't want them to be singing words that are heretical, that put their immortal souls in grave peril, do we? (That'll make 'em squirm, I should think.)
  • chonakchonak
    Can you arrange -- even insist -- that the pastor be part of the conversation?

Since the problem with the song is the text and its confusing message -- "I myself am the bread of life, You and I are the bread of life... this is our body, this is our blood" -- the pastor is the most qualified and most responsible to judge the issues involved.

The song verges on self-worship. Some of the words in the song have no identifiable meaning at all: e.g., "This bread is spirit". And nowhere does the song say that the Holy Eucharist is Christ's body and blood -- in the song the Eucharist is only presented as a sign that inspires us to share ourselves with others.

There are some pretty words in this song, but their message is that our personal sharing becomes the real spiritual nourishment for others -- "lives broken open, stories shared aloud / become a banquet" -- and that Christ's sacrament just becomes a means to an end, in order bring about that more important thing.

This is a poor way to express devotion during Holy Communion, by downplaying its real significance. That's not really what we Catholics believe about the Eucharist, is it? The Eucharist is so much more. It is not just a means to an end, it is the "summit of Christian life".

It reminds me of the experience Flannery O'Connor had in talking about the Eucharist to some people who thought they were too sophisticated to really believe in it. She wrote in a letter in 1955:

"Well, toward morning the conversation turned on the Eucharist, which I, being the Catholic, was obviously supposed to defend. Mrs. Broadwater said when she was a child and received the host, she thought of it as the Holy Ghost, He being the most portable person of the Trinity; now she thought of it as a symbol and implied that it was a pretty good one. I then said, in a very shaky voice, Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it.

That was all the defense I was capable of but I realize now that this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside of a story, except that it is the center of existence for me; all the rest of life is expendable."
  • The fundamental problem with the song is that it lends itself so recklessly to un-Catholic interpretations of the Holy Eucharist. Me assured of my prayers.
  • Well put, chonak.

I'd probably get so frazzled by the psycho-babble gymnastics the "pastoral associates" would work that I'd just shoot my mouth off and loose my job.

It's becoming progressively more frustrating to discover that there are lay people out there (plain, simple folk, including us musicians like myself) who seem to know and understand more about the Faith than those actually charged with the duty of teaching it.

For example, how many of us actually heard words like "Church Militant, Triumphant and Expectant" this weekend? Or, "Of your charity pray for the poor souls in purgatory?"
  • chonakchonak
    For the record, I actually heard a very good homily for All Souls today at my bland suburban parish. The priest even read a lengthy quote by Pope Benedict about purgatory, so I thanked him effusively afterward.

(By the way -- full disclosure -- I edited the comments above recently, so the "well put" was based on an earlier version.)
  • G
    "We don't call them 'poor souls' anymore."
    "This is a holy day to celebrate our beloved dead, nobody can tell me that they aren't in heaven."
    "The old funeral Mass didn't have any encouragement in it."
    "You know what they used to sing? Dies Irae! Do you know what that means?!?@?"
    "Today is really just a continuation of yesterday, this is for the saints who haven't been officially named"

That's the sort of words some people heard....
  • priorstf
    David Andrew, perhaps you can help out if you know the specific heresy represented by this song. (There seem to be quite a few 'named' heresies spoken of but I'm not a scholar on the issue. )

I think that the best thing Olbash could do would be to walk into whatever meeting there is and say quite simply, "I cannot play that song because I refuse to be party to the teaching of the XYZ heresy in a Catholic church." It would be quite interesting to hear the response.
  • chonakchonak
    I just realized: if Olbash can distribute some copies of pp. 48-50 of "Sing to the Lord" -- the section about criteria for appropriate music -- before the meeting, he may be able to diffuse the conflict. Texts should "convey meaning faithful to the teaching of the Church." (para. 128).

http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf
  • GavinGavin
    In that situation, I wouldn't argue doctrine. Most people don't care. If you DO wish to argue doctrine, I would say keep your mouth shut. Rather, ask them "what do you think the song teaches? How do you read these words?" Once they say something like (I've never seen the song, so I'm guessing here) "The Eucharist is about us", you can then explain what in the song is contrary to Catholic doctrine. I've noticed that about arguing with hymns: people love to be obtuse to what they're doing. This way you can get it right out front.

And don't say heresy. Do NOT say heresy! NO ONE in the post-v2 church likes to hear the word heresy. Once you say the word "heresy" your opinion has ceased to matter to those people. On the other hand, it MAY help to say, as I often did with other music, "Many good, well-meaning Catholics find the text of that song contradictory to the Catholic faith. I don't wish to offend them by using it." Then it's about pleasing people. Say you know plenty of people (we count, don't we?) who won't return to any church where they hear it.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Gavin is right about this. "Heresy" is a word that will cause people's minds to snap shut. They will hear nothing - only see your mouth moving. (Unless of course, they are people who agree with you - and you're not going to be arguing with them.)

I think the "sensitivity argument" is an excellent strategy. Since "we are all one body," we don't want anyone to be offended or hurt.
  • priorstf
    Sadly, while I agree with mj and Gavin, I wonder if that doesn't mean following the same path a lot of bishops have taken.
  • GavinGavin
    It doesn't mean you can't say anything. Keep in mind, the FIRST bit is to listen, but THEN you correct. For example, I might have this go on:

Complainer: You never use "I Myself am the Bread of Life"!
    Me: I have some misgivings about the text, what do you think the text implies? What do you think the title means?
    C: Well, it means that the sacrament is all about us, the community!
    Me: Ah, but isn't the sacrament primarily a sacrifice of Jesus Christ to appease the Father? The community, while important, is not the central focus of the Sacrament. Shouldn't we employ texts that reflect that belief?
    C: Oh, of course! Let's start a chant schola, I'll enroll myself and my family in it! And while we're at it, I'll tell the priest you need more money too!

So the last bit wouldn't happen. But I think the best way to deal with "banning" a piece of music is to let the other party make a case for it, and then discuss why you disagree with their case. Remember that for every falsehood we see in a text, others will see 3 things they like. I say listen, but totally stand ready to correct.

And another thing: I am not a bishop (you should all thank God for that). SO it isn't our job to "speak the truth in jerkiness", as so many bishops seem intent on doing. We can only put forth our case, try to convince others, and then rest on the AUTHORITY GIVEN TO US BY THE PASTOR (which if you don't have, you might as well resign before you have to do someone else's bidding this coming Sunday). And THAT should be your bottom line in arguing this: if you disagree with them, you're still the person responsible, so you have the final call.
  • You know, it's just not worth it.

Who cares what the state of your soul is or how the souls of those around you are effected as a result of bad teaching? Who cares whether a song text completely distorts the Truth as handed down from Jesus through his apostles and the Vicar of Christ, Benedict XVI and safeguarded by the Magisterium? Who cares if we pollute people's minds with bad texts, bad melodies, bad theology?

I know I don't any more. I'm giving them what they want, whenever they want it, and boy do I feel better! My weight is going back down, my blood pressure has gone back down, I'm loved by my co-workers. It's great!

I'll be going through my library and throwing out my PBC, BFW, Gregorian Missal, 1962 Missal, Liber Hymnarius and all the articles I've collected and read in the last two years, cuz ya know why? They've caused me nothing but grief! Knowing that stuff's dangerous, man! Just cling tenaciously to your copy of SttL and "Built of Living Stones" and "Co-Workers in the Vineyard" and all will be so much better, trust me!

Hey, Olbash. . . tell 'em you were wrong and lighten up! You'll sleep better at night, you'll keep your job, and everyone will love you!

Together, everyone . . . "Kum-bah-yah, my Lord! Kum-bah-yah!"

(Now, could somebody please call 911, because I can't seem to get my tongue out of my cheek).
  • GavinGavin
    I found the text to the song in question. I think heresy is rather strong, and I wouldn't use it. I would say the song can be understood as contradictory to Catholic belief, but a good understanding would render it in accord with Catholicism. It seems to be along the lines of the Eucharist being Christ feeding us so that we can go feed the world. Not an outlandish statement, but I can see this song being opposed by many. I try to avoid anything terribly nuanced (for example, I would avoid any music referring to Christ by the ancient title "mother hen") out of a fear of misunderstanding by some. I could see an MD making the same case.

At any rate, it's Olbash's call to make. Not mine. Not his parishoners'. Is it my pride which makes me think it ridiculous that he should have a meeting because he didn't choose to use a single song? (and that in itself is ridiculous - where's the meeting because anyone doesn't sing the Te Deum or Veni Creator?) Is it youthful optimism that makes me pine for a job where I'm only responsible to the pastor and NOT to the whims of individuals in the congregation? If I had a job like that, I think I'd quit and go into graphic design or something. Life's too short to be stuck in meetings being told how to do your job by people who don't know a pes from a PEZ. And to an extent David's tongue-in-cheek answer is correct: you can't fight EVERY battle. If you want that job, you can choose be miserable there because you wanted to fight everything you saw as aberrant, or you can go with the flow and be happy.
  • francis
    ...and to add to David's last post, you should also suggest that they utilize the new hymns with these titles!

Christ Has No Body Now But Yours : Steven Warner : Text and music © 2003, WLP (the text is attributed to St. Theresa who would send fire down from heaven if she could since she did not write the text!)

or look this one up which was just included in the new supplement for WLP:

Now This Day Gives Way To Darkness : Text © 1997, Adrian Dominican Sisters, pub by WLP

(the text will blow your mind ... and your Christianity!)

If we (the DM's) don't steer them away from errors (they used to call it heresey), who will! Here is the email response to my complaint about the text. I love the phrase 'faithful interpretation'.

Dear Mr. Koerber,

Thank you for your recent message to WLP Editorial through our Customer Service e-mail. You questioned the theological content of the song “Christ Has No Body”. I don’t know what your specific concern is, but I want to assure you that our review process before publication includes textual review by at least one qualified theologian, and that we are very concerned about representing Catholic teaching well in all our materials.

Additionally, this particular song was reviewed by the Office of Canonical Services of the Archdiocese of Chicago when it was included in a collection of songs several years ago, and received ecclesiastical approval. Although adapted for its musical setting, I’m sure you are aware it is a faithful interpretation of the words of St. Teresa of Avila.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us in the future with any comments regarding WLP’s resources.

So then I felt I should give them my "future comment" for the record. (see below)

Hi Mary Beth:

In a day and age when belief in the Eucharistic presence is questioned by our own people in the pews, I would not utilize any music that suggests that the Body of Christ is not present in the eucharist EXCEPT how Christ reaches out through us. It is one thing to read this as a poem, but to use it in the liturgy where THE ONLY Body of Christ truly resides, is highly questionable.

This erroneous theology is also present in other types of thinking. For instance, the suppression of the truth of the priest who is 'in personae christi' and the the exclusive role of the priest to consecrate Bread and Wine into the Body and Blood of Christ. In fact He alone (the priest) can say "This is My Body".

Lastly, the poem is not a part of the works of St. Theresa. It is only an attribution, and I think St. Theresa would be quick to correct your promoting this poem for use in the Mass!

Francis Koerber
    Director of Music
    Our Lady of the Mountains RC Church
  • chonakchonak
    Great comments from everybody.

Olbash, how is it that this song ("Look at me, I'm the bread of life") even came up? Does someone else choose hymns for the Masses you play and send you a list?

Oh, and tangentially-- Fr. Jeff Keyes, whom readers will probably remember as one of the Colloquium 2007 celebrants, sent me a note today about the chant CD. He's already got a copy and is really impressed!
  • As we're in the month which swings its focus to the four last things: death, judgment, heaven and hell, let's reflect on Revelation (or, as the Douay-Rheims titles it, "The Apocalypse") 3:15 and 16, shall we?

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold, nor hot. I would thou wert cold, or hot. But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth."

We face tough decisions every day, whether to keep our jobs and secure our paycheck, or take a stand against heretical teaching in all its forms. After all, it's only our immortal souls we're dealing with.
  • As far as I know, St. Paul says that we are Christ's body--we, as a group though many. He never says, you are the body of Christ, and so are you, and why not you too, &c, &c. Similarly, St. Peter never says that we are as individuals a priestly and royal people in that each of us is a priest and sovereign. Israel was called a priestly people too, but not all fo them were priests. As a people we have those characteristics, but not necessarily as individuals.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Chonak, the hymns are chosen by the pastoral associates, yes. When I have made suggestions regarding changes, they have cautioned me strongly about maintaining the balance between "traditional" (whatever that is) and "contemporary" (whatever that is). They want to approve every change before it happens.

B-of-L appears two Sundays in a row, and I am conspicuously changing it without permission.

This is why I'm still employed by the Protestants after almost six years, I guess. Everyone LOVES what I do, I get along with EVERYONE else on staff, no one questions my work. And, not for nothing, but I'm 99% sure that I earn more than just about anyone working as a musician in a Catholic parish in this Archdiocese. With three little boys at home, I have to take that into consideration.

Of course, with three little boys at home, I also have to explain why I never go to church with them, why I don't work in the church where they pray and study, etc. It's a lousy trade-off. Why didn't I become an accountant or an attorney or a butcher or some other normal 9-to-5-er, so I could go to some Opus Dei parish in the outer burbs and not care too much that the poor organist trying to do chant and polyphony on a shoestring was only earning a small fraction of what I make?

Interesting sidebar:
    At one of the many unsuccessful interviews I've had with Catholic parishes over the past six years, I was asked by a pastor, "Michael, you've been working for the Protestants for some time now. Why is it that they sing so much better than our people?" I responded, "Monsignor, the congregation only sings three hymns, while the choir sings three or four magnificent anthems every Sunday. They learn the music that pertains to them, and sing it well -- and the choir takes care of the rest. Imagine if I told the average Catholic congregation that they were only going to sing 40-50% of the music at Mass -- I would be accused of every kind of heresy imaginable!"
  • Beth
    It's a shame that one can spend so much money on educating themselves in their calling and have it rendered useless. What is it about music, that invalidates the enormous amount of training and money for our education compared to other disciplines? The fact that one have a Master's degree in Liturgical music and still not be qualified enough to choose hymns. Pastoral council? I find a general lack of recognition that being a musician in the church is in fact a calling and gift. Not, every one has this. Would I presume to go to a lawyer and tell her how to counsel people? She perhaps has spent 100,000. in education for degree and has a certain aptitude for this work. Which I clearly do not have, yet every Sunday because she is a grandfathered in cantor she can argue with me about my choice of music and it's appropriateness. Hmmmm interesting. Oblash, maybe when your boys are older they will know the good work you do for Christ's holy church. Keep thinking of the Magnificat POH. That event in itself had a huge impact. Not only was it televised, important people in the diocese were there. To introduce people to the ideal is a main mission of the CMAA is it not? You did this for Boston by your participation in this. You may not work consistently at a parish but your actions for the universal church have an impact.
  • incantuincantu
    I have to say I agree with Gavin's original post. Do not sat heresy. It labels you as a loon right off the bat. Try ro leave your personal beliefs out of it. I would say something like "It ihas come to my attention that some Catholics find the text of this song troubling. Have you read the words? Do you see anything that one might find objectionable?" I would also stress that you are not objecting because of the musical style, and perhps offer to take suggestions for a different song to replace it. As long as it's not "Ashes" you're bound to be better off.
  • chonakchonak
    At the Areopagus, St. Paul did not denounce the pagans, but appealed to them on the basis of their existing beliefs.

If the pastoral associates' first commandment is to offend no one, then by all means make your point on that basis!
  • Be careful softpedaling this too much. The obvious response is "We've sung this for years and no one has complained." Stick to your beliefs. If you lose, you lose. Then you make the decision about whether you can morally stay with this particular gig.
  • incantuincantu
    Isn't there an interview in Adoremus where some bishop addresses the questionable theology in this song? I seem to recall...
  • The very idea of being subject in any way to even the slightest authority of a pastural associate makes me shudder.
    The existence of this title, function, and quasi-canonical status is perverse (and foolish, and oft strayed).
    I know these statements make little difference in commenting on this stream, but ...
  • Here's a link to an article from the Adoremus Bulletin that has some discussion of "I myself am the Bread of Life":

http://www.adoremus.org/399Scalia.html

I don't know how parish musicians deal with the problems with so much of the contemporary music. As a person sitting in the pews (or plastic chairs as the case may be), I think I'm going to get a good pair of earplugs.
  • CharlesW
    I have the earplugs. When I attend diocesan functions where Edna is prayerful with her flute, Michael participates fully with his guitar, and Mary Jane raises the dead with her voice, in go the earplugs. I just sit there and smile serenely at everyone.
  • Pop question, Charles.....
    You're smiling serenely while sitting during the Offertory. (Wait for it, it'll come to you.)
    You're oblivious to to the strains (and strain?) of "We Will Rise Again."
    Suddenly, the Easter Island Puppeteers Troupe converges upon your serenity to con-glom your serenity.
    You're surrounded by paper mache effigies of our Lord, his blessed Mother and apparently gender-neutral disciples.
    They motion for you to take up the procession of hosts and wine, as you appear compliant with the gestalt.
    What d'you do? What d'you do?
  • CharlesW
    It's never that bad. I just shut out the noise, and if anyone asks why I don't participate, I simply tell them I am Byzantine. Since half of them don't know what that is anyway, they leave me alone. I don't know why, but it often seems that when I encounter objectionable music, it's amplified heavily. Perhaps that's necessary in some of the modern churches, which tend to be acoustically dead. Sometimes, it's the volume level I am trying to mute. However, I tend to avoid those types of services like the plague. I only attend when I have to as part of my job. Something that is scary, however, is the attack of the fat ladies during the peace greeting. Chubby hands come out of nowhere and appear before me. It's frightening. Once, I even found myself mentally hearing a parody, "take your peace and shove it, I aint comin' here no more." Now that was wishful thinking.
  • G
    http://www.zenit.org/article-24153?l=english
    Benedict XVI reminded those present that...: "In a word, none of us is God. To recognize this difference between us and him is the primary condition for being with him and in him. It is also a condition for becoming like him, but only by welcoming the grace of his free gift.

Save the Liturgy, save the World
  • JVN,
    My deep thanks for the link to this extraordinary article. I held a meeting with our music leadership a few weeks ago, and though there were many agenda concerns, I (as deftly possible) emphasized the absolute need for our cantors and directors to first consider the texts of each and every "alius cantus aptus" before choosing (defaulting to) them for use at worship. This article, to me, is literally the first I've encountered that addresses that need in terms that are honest and challenging for all of us. I should also mention that I appreciate it that Mr. Esolen avoids discussing the texts on any terms other than their own merit, not citing composer (save for Newton) or publisher.
    A funny side note, that I read this article this morning while preparing the entrance antiphon setting for 3 Lent- his paragraph "No wretches allowed!" juxtaposed to "O look at me and be merciful, for I am wretched and alone."
    I will be forwarding the link to our people ASAP. I think that I'll likely be more wretched and alone after some of them read it and reply with napalm-lined emails!
  • eft94530eft94530
    The original articles are found in the monthly magazine This Rock,
    and freely available at the Catholic Answers website.

Pop Goes the Mass: The Curse of Bad Liturgical Music (Part One)
    by Anthony Esolen
    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0810fea2.asp

Bad Poetry, Bad Theology: The Curse of Bad Liturgical Music (Part Two)
    by Anthony Esolen
    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0811fea2.asp

Taking the time to browse
    http://www.catholic.com
    This Rock
    2000s

This Rock (Volume 19, Number 9) (November 2008)
    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0811toc.asp
    cover story focuses on the Extraordinary Form
    and a sidebar mentions CMAA.
  • Pes
    I am the schiacciata of life, for what it's worth.
  • francis
    I fall into the wretched sinner category.