Accompanying the Eucharistic Prayer
  • JamJam
    Hello!

So, I just moved back to Alaska from the lower 48... Upon coming here I have some mixed feelings. At first the music was quite beautiful... nothing too pop or folksy, and a nice large choir that drowned out a lone (acoustic! thank goodness!) guitar most of the time... But they did something very bizarre, which I have never heard before. When it came to the part of the Mass where the words of Consecration occur, the instruments started up first (piano, guitar, flute, etc.) and accompanied the priest the whole time during the consecration until the next ordinary.

The ultimate effect was that of being serenaded by the priest during the high point of the Mass. An altar server rang a bell after "this is my body" and "this is my blood," but there were breaks here and there for instrumental bridges and the whole thing had this awful concert feel.

Now, I am not a parishoner at this place, but I was so profoundly put off by this that my first instinct was to contact the pastor and be like, "you know you're not supposed to do that... right?" I've got quotes from the GIRM to back me up. I was just wondering how bad this abuse really is, and whether or not it is my place to say anything. Right now I can't bear to go to Mass there again for fear of other equally bad liturgical happenings. (They just got new hymnals! New Gather books for every pew!) Perhaps I am oversensitive, but I have been attending Orthodox liturgies off and on for a long time now, and was in a choir for an EF low mass back in Texas for the first three Sundays of Advent, and don't know how to go back to this kind of thing anymore. I will pray about it. This church is a new one, beautiful in form but kind of plain in decor, altar built to make ad orientem liturgy impossible... no high altar, either...

Anyway, I just wanted your opinions on whether I should say anything, and what is the most charitable and spiritually sound path for me to take. I heard that there is a Dominican Rite EF Mass downtown first Saturday of every month, which I plan to attend, and there is a Byzantine Rite Church in town and probably some places with a more tolerable liturgy, but I don't want to feel like I am "running away" from the church closest to me because of something like that. I'm not sure if liturgy is a good reason to choose another nearby parish or not.

Thoughts?
  • You say that you are 'not sure if liturgy is a good reason to choose another... parish...'

I can think of a no more important criterion for one's choice of a parish than its liturgy and music. And if the what-would-be-Roman-rite parishes in your area are not palatable, the sane alternative would be Byzantine Rite or Anglican Use. You would not be 'running away' from something: you would be 'running to' something for love's (and sanity's) sake. The liturgy is supposed to be an encounter with the All Holy, sublime, with an aura of reverence and reserve, an ethos that bespeaks the 'beauty of holiness'; not an encounter with a secularist aura, a pounding din, that is a gruelling affront to the worshippers who get trashed rather than receiving the blessings and enlightenment for which they came, unable to offer the prayer they wished to give. We have a Maronite parish in Houston, and three or four Byzantine rite parishes. We also have an Anglican Use parish to which some people drive over 50 miles several times a week. (We also have at least one, perhaps two, parishes which offer the Usus Antiquor at least once a week.) It isn't necessary to attend a place which bombards one with cheapness and ugliness. And, those who think nothing of expecting one to sit through being so bombarded are not very Christ-like. They are blind. They do not know the meaning of the word, 'pastoral'. And, I can but think of our Lord saying of their calumny: 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do'.
  • mjballoumjballou
    The "background music" for the Canon was very popular in some circles in the 80's and 90's. And I just checked my score of the Mass of Creation and it included a "humming chorus" for the choir as well as instrumentation for the prayers after the Consecration. One of Haas' Mass settings also ran music throughout, I believe. Yes, it's not permitted and in many places, it seems to have died out or been squelched. I've only heard it a couple of times and it completely changes the Mass into a performance.

Don't stick around with a bad liturgy if you have other options. You don't get points for driving yourself nuts.
  • Mass of Light. It has a country song for the EP. Shudder.. Your other option is to check out the entire Mass schedule and see if there is a Mass w/o music or just a cantor and organ Mass. You could hang around and see if there are other like-minded folks and crank up a garage schola. It's the only thing that keeps me going in the Everglades.
  • GavinGavin
    Go to an Orthodox church. The music IS important, and there's no sense in putting up with something so disturbing.
  • CharlesW
    Sad to say, there are many who will stay at a mass like that and either never complain, or just put up with it. That place is doing your soul very little good. The one thing I do admire about many of the Trads, is that they couldn't put up with the garbage, so they left. I respect their integrity. My best advice is to LEAVE - just go out the back, Jack! Close the door with a slam, Sam - to paraphrase an old pop song from years ago.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Time for the Simon & Garfunkel liturgy.
  • We've covered this before- rubrically it's not permissable.
    That said- Mr. Lone Guitarist, Miss Harpist or Mr./Ms. Keyboardist could quietly provide the general sequence of chords implied by the Sacramentary chants Gm-F-Dm-C discretely, should the celebrant possess a good ear and voice.
    First, do no harm if the priest cannot. Second, do this only if your acclamations are keyed in the same vicinities: F major, G minor, C major, maybe even D minor.
    And of course, said "musician" must also possess the good ear to anticipate the correct sequence of chords; often the preface will imply Gm-F, and instead of moving to Dm, reverts back to G minor.
  • Instead of Simon and Garfunkel, I was thinking of this:

William Shatner 'sings' "Rocket Man"
  • chonakchonak
    Jam wrote:
    I don't want to feel like I am "running away" from the church closest to me because of something like that.

If this is your geographical parish, then you are a parishioner, whether you've registered or not., so if you want to tell the pastor that the liturgical abuse is driving you away to attend another parish, you do have a good reason to do so.

---

Mary Jane wrote:
    You don't get points for driving yourself nuts.

Thank you, Mary Jane. Those are words to live by!
  • JamJam
    Ah, thanks so much for your responses! I'm glad I'm not overreacting. I'm a pretty new Catholic--less than a year--and am still figuring all this out. I'm pretty sensitive to showy, performance-like Masses, because I know full well the gravity of the Eucharistic Liturgy and I don't want to catch myself thinking, "I don't want to go back there!" during Mass.

I just want to know if it's better for me to just go somewhere else (probably the Cathedral downtown) and never say anything, or if I should kindly inform the pastor that what he does is not permissible, according to authoritative church documents, before I go. I'm not sure how he would react. I get a feeling that some well-intentioned music people talked him into it and he just didn't know any better.

I kind of can't wait until the first Saturday in January, because I'm itching to see this Dominican Rite EF Mass they have going on downtown...
  • miacoyne
    I wish you tell him, as you said politely. It's a form of charity. People need to hear it, whether they correct it right away or not.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jam: I was just wondering how bad this abuse really is

Bad enough that it was catalogued in
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

Redemptionis Sacramentum
    On certain matters to be observed or to be avoided regarding the Most Holy Eucharist
    [4.] “Certainly the liturgical reform inaugurated by the Council has greatly contributed to a more conscious, active and fruitful participation in the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar on the part of the faithful.”[10] Even so, “shadows are not lacking”.[11] In this regard it is not possible to be silent about the abuses, even quite grave ones, against the nature of the Liturgy and the Sacraments as well as the tradition and the authority of the Church, which in our day not infrequently plague liturgical celebrations in one ecclesial environment or another. In some places the perpetration of liturgical abuses has become almost habitual, a fact which obviously cannot be allowed and must cease.
    [53.] While the Priest proclaims the Eucharistic Prayer “there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent”,[132] except for the people’s acclamations that have been duly approved, as described below.
    footnote 132
    Missale Romanum, Institutio Generalis, n. 32.

And in the document Conclusion, just before the footnotes, is the deadline

approved by the same Pontiff on the Solemnity of St. Joseph, 19 March 2004, and he ordered it to be published and to be observed immediately by all concerned.

Emphasis by eft
  • [quote Jam: I was just wondering how bad this abuse really is(?)
    Bad enough that it was catalogued in
    Redemptionis Sacramentum(.)[/quote]

eft,
    "Bad enough" and "abuse" are perjoratives. The citation itself does not imply that with its "should be's," really. Can it not also be otherwise simply interpreted that all celebrants' fachs/vocal registers/vocal qualities/intonation are not created equal; thus the canon simply "levels the playing field?"
    Earlier references to composed preface accompaniments, such as MOC, inch quite closer to your criteria for "abuse," I agree.
    Does anyone remember Fr. Ruff commenting upon this in his SACRED MUSIC...?
  • chonakchonak
    An "instruction" never actually creates new law, but reminds us and instructs us on how to implement existing law. In this case, paragraph 53 in Redemptionis Sacramentum has a footnote indicating IGMR para. 32, so here's the relevant law, promulgated in 2002:

ICEL translation:
    32. The nature of the “presidential” texts demands that they be spoken in a loud and clear voice and that everyone listen with attention. Thus, while the priest is speaking these texts, there should be no other prayers or singing, and the organ or other musical instruments should be silent.

The binding text:
    32. Natura partium « præsidentialium » exigit ut clara et elata voce proferantur et ab omnibus cum attentione auscultentur. Proinde dum sacerdos eas profert aliæ orationes vel cantus non habeantur, atque organum vel alia instrumenta musica sileant.

Here's my translation: "The nature of the 'presidential' parts requires that they be presented in a clear and raised voice, and that they be listened to by all with attention. Consequently, while the priest is presenting them, let there not be other prayers or songs, and also let the organ or other musical instruments be silent."

Some observations:
    1. The official English translation says that the prayers are to be "spoken", but this is misleadingly narrow; "profert" (presented, set forth) allows for singing.
    2. The instruction against any other singing, prayers, or instrumental music during the priest's prayer applies whether the priest recites or sings the presidential prayers. It does not rule out musical cues before the prayers.
    3. The 'presidential' prayers include the collects and prefaces as well as the Eucharistic Prayers. (Does anyone know whether the dialogue parts such as "The Lord be with you" are also among the 'presidential' parts of the Mass? I would expect so.)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Chonak brings up a very important point: in 'liturgicalese' to say and to sing very nearly always mean the same thing, and, that thing is 'to sing'. Whether it is a translation of 'profert' or 'dicere', the intent is 'sing'. Such an understanding is quite ancient. This leaves precious few words of the liturgy which should rightly be delivered in the 'spoken' voice. If this would seem strange to some in our 'culture', we all, priests and musicians, have a right and obligation to make it not strange. As an aside, a few years ago I had been engaged for midnight mass at St Basil's chapel at the Univ of St Thomas and asked the priest if we could sing the three readings at that mass. He was quite agreeable, but, a lady who was standing by overheard bits and pieces of our conversation and went clucking about in great fright, 'oh! they're going to start singing the readings at mass!!!'. One would have thought that he, or she, was in a Protestant church with an attendant fear of popery!
  • eft94530eft94530
    Accompanying the Eucharistic Prayer (composer Massenet, opera Thais, entre'acte Meditation) ...

http://www.rodgers550.com/c2.html
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The Eucharistic prayer is accompanied by Guitar at a Church not far from where I live.

I believe it is a Haugen setting (not kidding) --- has anyone else heard this?
  • GavinGavin
    There are settings by Haugen (in the Mass of Remembrance and Mass of Creation) as well as Haas (Mass of Light). The Mass of Creation one is often performed, and has a rather complex orchestration as I recall, including the choir humming the "Christ has died" motif during the post-consecration.
  • benedictgal
    One of the priests had this done while I was at Mass at San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio. I was flabbergasted, to say the least. It was the Marty Haugen version and it happened a few years ago. After the Mass, I asked the priest (who was supposed to be the cathedral liturgist) why this was done especially since it was contrary to the GIRM and RS. I told him that this was prohibited and he looked at me as though I had green hair and fangs. I sent a letter to the rector of the cathedral, but, he never responded.
  • Anhaga

"I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy" (Cardinal Ratzinger, Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977, Published by Ignatius Press)  

"Pope Paul VI saw liturgical abuse as Smoke of Satan" entering the Catholic Church (OMELIA DI PAOLO VI).  

Liturgy is in no way a trivial matter.  Save the liturgy, save the Church, and save the World!

• GavinGavin
    So here's the question: ignoring the total inappropriateness of the three listed settings (especially since the prayer in the Mass of Remembrance seems more or less made up), does the good of having the EP sung outweigh the good of following the ban on accompanying the priest's singing? I'm thinking more of an accompanied chant EP, but I think it's worth some discussion.
  • Gavin, my far-from-authoritative intuition tells me that the good of having the EP sung doesn't outweigh the good of following the ban on accompaniment. If it is an embellishment, it is one that the rubrics explicitly ban. If the accompaniment is meant to be a crutch for a celebrant who is not used to singing, I'd tack on the disclaimer, "For rehearsal purposes only; not to be used for Mass," and use it as intended -- to get the celebrant comfortable with chanting, with the understanding that he'll "go it alone" for the actual Mass. Not sure about the merit of this approach, though, so I don't endorse or frown upon it; I just throw it out there as a possibility.

I'd also check up on whether there are specific melodies to be used exclusively at certain points of the Mass; if I remember correctly, one of the most ignored items from the initial go-round at vernacular liturgy was the blanket ignorance of the call for approved melodies for certain parts of the liturgy -- memorial acclamations, etc. (I may not remember this correctly, though, and I'd appreciate someone looking this up.)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Aristotle: "the call for approved melodies for certain parts of the liturgy ... appreciate someone looking this up"

USCCB BCL Newsletter XXXIII (Jan-Feb 1997)
    http://www.usccbpublishing.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=294
    pages 1527-1528 (complete article, hand typed by me)
    I must continue skim-reading many more pages to discover policy changes.

New Policy for the Approval of Musical Compositions for the Liturgy

The following policy was approved by the Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy on November 10, 1996. This policy will be used by the Secretariat for the Liturgy in decisionsconcerning [sic, missing space] the release of liturgical texts for musical compositions.

1. No official approbation is required for hymns, songs, and acclamations written for the assembly,{1} provided they are not sung settings of the liturgical texts of the Order of Mass. Nevertheless, the Committee on the Liturgy has always encouraged composers of hymns, songs, and acclamations to "select texts that truly express the faith of the Church, that are theologically accurate and liturgically correct."{2}

2. Liturgical texts from the Order of Mass, however, must be approved by the Secretariat for the Liturgy before copyright agreements may be drawn up with the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) or the United States Catholic Conference (USCC). The composer of such texts "must respect the integrity of the approved text. Admittedly, not all texts, as approved by the episcopal conference, easily lend themselves to musical composition because of their style, length or translation. Nevertheless, composers may not alter the prescribed texts of the rites to accomodate them to musical settings. The Church is always concerned about the use of the approved liturgical texts be they written, spoken, proclaimed, or sung."{3}

Minor grammatical adaptations may, however, be made in isolated instances with the prior approval of the Secretariat. Likewise, composers may compose appropriate tropes for Form C of the Penitential Rite and for the Lamb of God{4} and the Great Amen may be augmented and repeated.{5} Finally, the addition of refrains to the Glory to God is permitted, provided the refrains encourage congregational participation.
    [sic, no blank line, just start a new line]Further alterations to the liturgical texts from the Order of Mass, including the composition of new texts for acclamations during the eucharistic prayer, will not be authorized.

3. All musical settings of liturgical texts from the Order of Mass,{6} must be submitted to the Secretariat during the final steps of editing before being submitted to ICEL for a contract for release of copyright. After a determination of the accuracy and suitability of the liturgical text has been made by the Secretariat, the publisher will be authorized to use the phrase: Published by the authority of the Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy. The publisher will also be required to submit three copies
    [sic, page turn here]
    of the published work to the Secretariat for its archives. Only those musical settings of liturgical texts from the Order of Mass which have received the approval described in this paragraph may be used in the liturgy in the United States of America.

4. The Secretariat for the Liturgy also assumes the responsibility for approving both the text and musical settings for ministerial chants.{7} Approval will permit the publisher to include the phrase: Published by the authority of the Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy.

5. All liturgical books or significant excerpts from liturgical books must be submitted to the Secretariat for the required concordat before being sumbitted to ICEL for a contract for release of copyright. The publisher will also be required to submit three copies of the published work to the Secretariat for its archives. Only those liturgical books which have received the approval described in this paragraph may be used in the liturgy in the United States of Aperica. In addition to this approval, the publisher will be required to negotiate a contract with USCC, ICEL, and any other bodies holding copyright interest on the material before being permitted to place the concordat in the publication.

6. This policy becomes effective on November 10, 1996.

Notes

1. Appendix to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, number 19.

2. Committee on the Liturgy, "Letter to Composers," November 23, 1980.

3. The basis for this concern is the Church's responsibility to safeguard the doctrinal content of prayer texts. The Constitution on the Liturgy, no. 36 (4) states: "Translations from the Latin text into the mother tongue which are intended for use in the liturgy must be approved by the competent territorial ecclesiastical authority mentioned above" (i.e. episcopal conference, Apostolic See). ("Letter to Composers," note 9).

4. See the Order of Mass and Liturgical Music Today, nos. 20-21[sic, period missing]

5. Music in Catholic Worship, no. 58.

6. All texts found in the Order of Mass of the Sacramentary for use by the priest or the assembly which are set to music are included in this section.

7. All texts found in the Order of Mass of the Sacramentary for use by the priest or other ministers which are set to music are included in this section. See Musicam Sacram, no. 57 and Inter Oecumenici, no. 42.

2003 GIRM
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20030317_ordinamento-messale_en.html

393. Bearing in mind the important place that singing has in a celebration as a necessary or integral part of the Liturgy,[152] all musical settings of the texts for the people’s responses and acclamations in the Order of Mass and for special rites that occur in the course of the liturgical year must be submitted to the Secretariat for the Liturgy of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops for review and approval prior to publication.
    [...]
  • chonakchonak
    Provision (1), that no approbation is needed for songs to be sung by the assembly, seems to abdicate the responsibility GIRM 48 places on the bishops' conference:

In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Entrance Chant: (1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Timeline:

GIRM 1975 was in effect; some of that text is provided here:
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1719#Item_6
    There does not seem to be a requirement of approval
    because it was expected that psalms were being used.

The above BCL policy went into effect.
    There continues to be no requirement of approval
    even though they could not be un-aware of hymn use.

1996 through 2003
    [As time permits, I will continue looking through the BCL Newsletters and note changes here].

GIRM 2003 goes into effect with USA Adaptations (which chonak cited above).
    It clearly indicates a USCCB policy change.

Definitely something was going on.
    Comparing GIRM (1975 and 2003), there was a clear change in written policy.
    First, we find psalm options getting diluted to include suitable liturgical song.
    Second, we find required approval of the song texts.
    Regardless of written policy, lots of non-approved activity was underway,
    and we probably are confusing our experience for the official expectation.

More than ever I really want all the GIRM texts online
    and provided in parallel columns with side-by-side diffs hilighted!