Audio files, Colloquium XIX
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker

Here is a recording of the entrance antiphon from this morning's English ordinary form Mass, Sacred Music Colloquium XIX.

Antiphon: "The Lord is the strength of His people, and the protector of the salvation of His anointed: save, O Lord, thy people, and bless Thine inheritance, and rule them forever."

Verse 1: "Unto thee will I cry, O Lord: O my God, be not Though silent to me, lest if Thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit."

Verse 2: "My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee. They face O Lord, willI seek. Turn not away they face from me."

Verse 3: "I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord: and let thy heart take courage: and wait thou for the Lord."

Chant settings by Fr. Samuel F. Weber, OSB, of the Institute of Sacred Music, St. Louis, MO)

• Guadalupe
    Thanks, Jeffrey. This is so beautiful. I wish I was there.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Oh Jeffrey, you just embarrass us all. I had barely enough energy to upload some files to my PC last night, not to actually do any processing at all. Bow ties must be some kind of unnatural energy source.
    Not my recording. It is from Aristotle Esguerra. vox Feminae posted the Mudd motet but I can't figure out how to make it a direct link!

oh here is a file folder. can someone figure out a direct link?

Later: direct link
  • WJA
    When I follow the link to Fr. Weber's site on the musicasacra main page , all I can see are propers for Advent, Christmas, and Lent. I assume I'm missing some obvious link to follow to find his other settings. Can anyone point it out?

WJA
    There are plenty more but the St. L people are rather...slow.

One of the many jobs I have for a volunteer is uploading all of Fr. Weber's work on Musica
  • WJA
    I might be able to help with that. I assume that involves using FTP to upload the individual PDFs, but what else does it involve?

WJA
    some html
  • WJA
    I can do basic HTML, e.g., formatting tags, links, in-page jumps, etc.

WJA
  • Carl DCarl D
    Recordings are starting to arrive on my website. No guarantees for how fast I'll be able to post them, as it depends on how much energy I have. But I thought you might be eager to hear some of the early ones.

Any mistakes or missing things? Let me know.
    Carl, once again, we are all deeply in your debt. you have great recordings here.

The Wanderer is looking for a story on the Mass with the Cardinal -- front page with photos. I think we need to quote the homily. So we need a transcript. Does anyone have that?
    Also, photos
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    One quick solution to the lack of a ready transcript would be to call the Chancery office to see whether his secretary is willing to e-mail you the text of the homily--presuming he works from prepared texts.

Mary
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Carl, thanks for these recordings. I appreciate your efforts.
  • Carl DCarl D
    For anybody who's currently AT the Colloquium: I have the ability to produce some AUDIO discs of selected recordings. This is for people who don't have the inclination to download the MP3 files from my website. The MP3 files are much much smaller, and a whole set of discs would probably be 15 or 20 hours, and won't be complete by the end of Sunday.

But if you want a recording of a lecture, of a prayer service, or selected songs (that I've already processed - check the website), then let me know.

carl@dierschow.com or catch me after one of the things I record.
  • Carl DCarl D
    People have also asked me about the device that I'm using. It's a Samson Zoom H2. It's readily available, as are other great products that are similar. It cost me about $160 a few years ago.

The sound quality is amazing. It records directly to little SD memory cards that I can plug into my computer. I do the audio processing with Audacity (free), and create audio CDs using iTunes (free). The AA batteries last a LONG time, but I usually plug the thing in just so I don't chew up batteries at all.

It's highly recommended for any choir director. I've created practice recordings for everything our schola sings.

I happen to have a computer (HP) that directly reads the SD memory cards. But check to make sure that it's easy to transfer information between whatever unit you buy and your computer - whether that's by taking out the memory card, or hooking up a cable, or whatever.
  • chonakchonak
    Paul Rau posted this info on another thread (so I'm merging it in here):

I have posted my recordings of the Haydn Mass and the Ave Maris Stella at www.saintodilo.org/latinmass.html

If anyone recorded the Vaughan Willams piece from the first day, I would love to hear that.

My thanks to all the coordinators and directors that worked so hard to put together a great week!

Paul Rau

• Carl DCarl D
    Paul, check the top of my list of recordings.
    oh oh these are amazing!!!

What a treasure! wow
  • Kathy
    This is really terrrific, Carl. I've posted a couple of links to the page already.

(Quick note: "Evening Prayer" should rather be listed as "Compline" or "Night Prayer")
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Carl,

It was nice to meet you at the Colloquium. I've already started saving MP3s and may burn some disks for interested friends and family.

BTW, Vespers on Friday was actually for Saints John and Paul, Martyrs, rather than the Holy Cross; the switch apparently didn't make it into the schedule given in the Colloquium music book before printing.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks to all you proof readers out there - as you can see, I've been just blasting through the processing as fast as I can, not pausing (much) to double-check!

If anybody knows more information about the undocumented organ pieces - even who was playing at the time - I'd sure appreciate being able to add more.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Note that I have started to also post the ZIP files so it's much easier to grab ALL the recordings at once. If you don't see the big yellow box at the top of this page, make sure to hit refresh in your browser.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Carl D - you're the tops on this!
  • At long last, posted ten files from last Tuesday's Mass on my website (128 kbps mp3s).

These include the prayers and readings.
  • Carl DCarl D
    OK, I think I have all the audio files published. Whew!

Let me know if you find errors, thanks.

chant.dierschow.com/Colloquium
  • miacoyne
    Thank you so much Carl D and Aristotle.
    The following comment was posted in Aristotle's blog. So beautifully said. (I don't know who wrote it though)

Tuesday morning after Mass I thought, “If we participated in Masses like this every week, it would change our lives.” It is impossible to be indifferent to such a Mass. Such a Mass is so profoundly otherworldly, so oriented to the transcendent, so powerfully prayerful that it is impossible to be lukewarm. One must choose whom one will serve. [Full post]
  • a1437053a1437053
    An amazing collection, thank you for recording and uploading! And being so ORGANIZED (files by date, in folders by date)!

Especially for those who couldn't make it to Chicago.
  • a1437053a1437053
    If one only had to pick a few pieces, what would they be?
  • Kathy
    The Gloria from Thurs
    The Gradual and Alleluia from Sunday

for starters...
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Mia, Aristotle was quoting from a post I wrote for my schola blog, http://b16schola.org.
  • miacoyne
    Oh, Mary. It's you. I couldn'tagree more. As you wrote, I wish we could have Mass like that in our parish every Sunday. Such a power of beauty and sacredness. Our parish will overflow with 'Catholics," and they will know who to serve.
    Thanks. (by the way, I like your schola name.)
    Ave Maris Stella. I've now listened to it about 135 times
  • miacoyne
    Ave Maris Stella, our last song. The whole church was the sea of beautiful music. Mary looking down as the Star. I tried to describe the beauty to my schola yesterday. I have an artist in my schola who appreciates beauty deeply. His face was shininng and shoke his head, he said it's too hard to imagine such high level of beauty. We were all encouraged to go there next year.

Gloria on Thursday is also my favorite. Such a glorious music, worthy only for our Savior.
    I just cannot understand how on earth those contemporary group chose to settle with pop-sacro style, instead of the heavenly sacred music so beautiful. I really don't think you need high musical taste or education to hear the difference.
  • -b
    Wonderful work, Carl. What a great service to all of us. Thank you so much! It is especially helpful that you even list the page numbers in the music packet. Also, I'm so grateful to be able to hear sessions I was unable to attend. Your recordings, posted for all, represent an indispensable aspect of the Colloquium. Again, many thanks,
    Barbara
  • Carl DCarl D
    Based on a growing number of requests, I've captured the 128Kbit MP3 files on my website. Look at the list at the bottom of the page. It's double the size, but also double the quality.

Thanks to everyone who's supplying corrections and additional information! Keep it coming.
  • Kathy
    I just wanted to bump this post back up to the top of the thread. Talk about inappropriate forum behavior!
  • Ava
    Kevin Allen's Tantum Ergo
    Brahms' Geistliches Lied, Op. 30: Lass dich nur nichts nicht dauren
    Ave Maris Stella - Lizst

Thank you sooooo much for uploading your recordings Carl!!! They're fantastic!
  • June Ely
    Thank you for bumping this back up, Kathy. I have downloaded all of the music and have been busily burning it and handing it out to anyone interested. One lady I gave a cd to on Friday said that she listen to the Holy Hour music all day - so neum by neum we can build up Holy Mother Church, evangelizing with our beautiful Catholic musical tradition. Thank you so much Carl D for your wonderful recordings and for putting them in such an easy format to access!
    wow wow isn't that great? I don't want to harp on this topic (ok, I do) but this is only possible because the music is part of the commons.
  • Kathy
    Jeffrey, my two cents: although my participation in the commons is little--and almost all on the receiving end--I think the debate is necessary and timely. So thanks for harping!
  • Thank you for posting this, Jeffrey - how exciting to see this! Was this the done by CC Watershed?
  • it was done by WS
  • I thought I should post this on the thread