Learning Square Notes is a Waste of Time....
  • I have heard this said by self-ordained know-nothing church music people but also by experienced musicians with good backgrounds.

I learned to read chant years ago, but that's not exactly true. I sang with the monks for a couple of weeks and thought I was reading the chant and maybe I was. But now I have come to grasp that I really didn't have a clue. So that's when I started to write the little beginner's guide.

In doing so I learned how little I really know about Gregorian Chant notation. I've also studied The American Gradual and sung and played from that, a form of notation for chant that uses stemless round notes for chant.

I can now read chant better and my own take on it is this: Modern notation does not accurately layout chant, possibly the notes and signs used in modern notation are very, very generic, designed to permit that composer to write any note, including Ebb and E#.

The stemless notes work better because they look different without stems and flags so the quarter note and half note without stems do a good job of being punctum and punctum mora. And the melodic pattern is pretty clear.

But actual chant notation uses a small set of note patterns to line out the melody for each melismatic syllable in a manner that works like a triangle sign on a bridge that get slippery when icy. The mind sees the sign and registers then what the info is in the sign.

Chant neume groups have the exact same function, they inform the brain that you are going to be singing a downward scale, a low note followed by a higher note or even a high note followed by a lower note than a note in between. The brain recognizes this and then you just sing the pitches.

But it goes a little bit further since the square notes are not a different system than what we use today, rather it is the foundation of modern music notation, so the ability to read and sing it seems to improve ones ability to work in modern notation as well. This is what I have discovered while I work on two little followup booklets on singing chant and solfege as a way of learning to sing modally.
  • GavinGavin
    Agreed with all of the above. Furthermore, they (or the Triplex, whichever school one is from) are designed to give all the information necessary to perform the chant. I do not believe any schola should ever use modern notation - save those works, such as the AG and BFW, which are composed in modern notation!
  • Jeff Ostrowski, who is on assignment, has an aversion to the Triplex which I want to explore when he has time. I read what he wrote but did not comprehend.
  • JamJam
    I learned the basics of singing chant in maybe two fifteen minute explanations by a friend (thanks, Gilbert). After that it was just a matter of practice with him. If you know anything about solfege all you need is to find the do clef/fa clef and start singing.

Usually to learn a new chant I pick an absolute pitch for "do" and play it on the piano a few times. I can sight-sing very, very simple ones though. Slowly. But sight-singing is a totally different skill from just being able to read chant notation. I can read normal sheet music too but I can't sight-sing a lick from it, unless maybe it's easy, I got the starting pitch, and the other singers (soprano, tenor, bass) know what they're doing. Even then, I can't be entirely sure I got the right note and not just another note that just sounds right in the chord. (Actually, I've been in a group praised by a choir director once: we sang plenty of wrong notes, but they were almost always in the chord, and he got a real kick out of that.)

I think it's silly to put chant in normal music notation because normal music notation is based off absolute pitches, for one (which makes transposing to another pitch a real bother), time signatures, neat divisions of notes. I mean, the notes are all fractions of the "measure": quarter notes, half notes, etc. It's based off having a "beat," a real beat to keep time. Chant doesn't work like that. Chant isn't music you can dance to. Chant is a fluid thing, which flows quickly sometimes, slowly sometimes, always driving forward not with a steady "beat" but with the pull of the puncta. While you can render this in normal music notation with stemless notes and no time signature/measure lines, you cripple the chant that way. You still have the problem of absolute pitches to mess with (which sans accompaniment is irrelevant because it should depend on the range of your singers anyway) and expression is totally lost! Just looking at a porrectus, how can you compare that, how you can see and sense the first note sliding down into the second and up to the third, with some kind of notation with three stemless notes on D B D...? How can you even begin to understand the way a quilisma sounds if you just have three stemless notes up B C D? What would you do, put an accent mark on the B? And what about liquescent notes telling you not even just pitches but how to pronounce the words in the pitches?

And I don't even know that much about chant notation--just enough to get by singing. I can't imagine how someone who really knows all the ins-and-outs of Gregorian chant could possibly find using normal music notation--even butchered music notation--comparable at all.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hi, Noel. My objections to the Triplex are basically two:

(1) It doesn't make any sense to me that the Triplex is set over the NOTES of the Vaticana, which is almost an exact copy of Pothier's Liber Gradualis (finished around 1870 and published 15 years later).

You can download all these old chant books, including the Mocquereau 1903 Liber Usualis and Pothier Liber Gradualis at this site

(2) I have read the explanations for the interpretation of some of the neumes ("graphica" as semiologists call them these days) from the old Einsiedeln and Laon MSS, and they strike me as speculative at best (this is my opinion as a music theorist who has also done graduate work in musicology). Obviously, others are free to have a different opinion. I have also had some of these explained to me in person by prominent Cardine students, and came to the same conclusion.
  • CharlesW
    Neumes work well for chant, and are the notation system in use at the time much of it was written. I am well aware that singers love neumes. Why shouldn't they? There's no fixed starting pitch, they can start on any pitch of their choice. No time signatures, and don't they love holding notes till Hades freezes? Also, no organist or conductor is nearby telling them they can't count. Neumes give singers license to do as they please. Of course they love them. I suspect neumes fell out of use for exactly those reasons. They are not precise enough for notating more modern music. And does anyone really think music development should or does stand still? For any practical purpose, chant was replaced by polyphony, which was replaced by Haydn and composers of his time, then by others, and the process continues. I am all for preserving chant and find much of it timeless and beautiful. However, as I have said many times, there is more to sacred music than chant. And there's nothing sacred about neumes.
  • miacoyne
    Jam. You are very insightful. Your posts are always refreshing and rejuvenating. What a blessing for Franciscan University to have such a wonderful chanter. Much blessings to your future studies and chanting.
  • IanWIanW
    CharlesW,

As you are all for preserving chant, why not go along with its 'native' notation, which you agree works well for it, and is appreciated by singers? Granted all that, your liberal understanding of music history is interesting, but beside the point.
  • JamJam
    CharlesW,

I would definitely prefer modern notation for singing anything besides chant. Polyphony is very important to count right so that your part and the other parts blend in properly, and the altos aren't two measures behind the sopranos while the basses already finished the song. Modern notation is also indispensable for any kind of instrumental accompaniment. I'm a classically trained woodwind player, and I'm pretty much crippled without sheet music. If you're playing in an ensemble and want to play something even kind of complicated, sheet music is necessary.

So, I am not saying that neumes are "better" than modern music notation overall--I'm saying it's better for chant. The best chant I ever hear is always sung using that notation. In fact, and you'll know what I'm talking about, even the best Byzantine chant I've ever heard was sung straight from real Byzantine notation (and we all kind of just stared at the guy sightreading the stuff; he was brilliant).

I wouldn't say that polyphony and Haydn et al. replaced chant at all. I would say they merely augmented chant in the liturgy. Nothing wrong with that.

The point of this thread, I think, is to say that it's well worth it to learn how to read neumes if you sing chant. That's all.
  • GavinGavin
    I love Charles's description of people singing neums: "There's no fixed starting pitch, they can start on any pitch of their choice. No time signatures, and don't they love holding notes till Hades freezes?" My experience with amateur choirs indeed!
  • CharlesW
    In many places, chant did fall into disuse until Solemnes brought it back to the forefront - that and St. Pius X. For some reason, it has seemed to me that there is a tendency toward excess that is built into music. Chant did reach a point where much of it became too complicated for congregations to sing. And polyphony became so elaborate and contrived that even the church had to decree it be simplified. It reached the point where no one could understand the text.

Chant has been accompanied for so many centuries now, that it's hardly an innovation. Of course, the purists would disagree. But I think the purists need to ride along behind the back-end of horses and have an authentic ancient transportation experience. It might be good for them. ;-)

Neumes don't go back to the time of Christ. IIRC, the earliest examples we have are medieval. Now I have no problem with neumes for unaccompanied chant, and can actually read them when I choose. Chant is not always the best choice for every occasion. So much depends on time, place and circumstances.

Gavin, I didn't know you had worked with some of our local singers. I don't know how they are doing it, but they are somehow getting back and forth between us. ;-)
  • Pes
    What complete bosh.

It's never a waste of time to learn how to read something that then gives you direct access to a very large world of exquisite melody.

What is a waste of time, if you want to chant, is learning standard notation.

Standard notation is too verbose: it over-specifies things. All you need are the square notes. Anything more is frill or overspecification, and therefore a waste of time.

Polyphony, of course, is a different story.
  • miacoyne
    CharlesW, I wish I can invite you to the Colloquium, where you can truly experience the power and the beauty of singing chants from neums (and learn) and singing the beautiful polyphonies that are tastfully selected. Have you ever been in the Colloquium? I think it's important for church musicians, especially music directors to be recharged. I hope I can meet you in 'Musical Heaven' next year.
    (also having chants in different occasions have nothing to do with singing chants from neums. )
  • CharlesW
    Mia, one of the reasons I haven't attended colloquiums is because they appear to be conventions for singers. Now I can sing in a choir, but not as a soloist. I am principally an organist who happens to direct a choir. While some may enjoy travelling a great distance to sing in choir rehearsals all week, I would find the experience hell on earth. It would not be worth the travel or expense.

Certainly, there are other areas of music I would like to explore besides chant. I love chant and want to preserve it, but it does get tedious after a point, as does polyphony. There's more to church music than just those two expressions of it. I would hope the annual gatherings would have courses in other areas, such as choir management, directing, accompaniment, etc. I will look into all that before next year and see what is being offered. If they have other things of interest, I may consider attending. But I wouldn't go for week-long choir rehearsals.
  • Back to the thread at hand:
    1. Having attended my second colloquium, my first intensive and having the pleasure of my wife (a fine singer and absolute novice to square notes) dive head first from 50 metres into neumes, I can say:
    a. I'm absolutely convinced that systematic exposure to reading gregorian neumes, using solfege and the gentle exposure to the rhythmic fineries of chant will not only inform and improve my choristers sight-reading abilities in standard notation, but provide them with aesthetic tools by which their renderings of polyphony and other choral forms will steadily improve.
    b. I'm absolutely convinced that, in my case, this progress will be extremely measured. They will not be afforded the absolute luxury of total immersion my wife was, and that will be all's benefit, as my wife will gently affirm any of the semi-reluctant souls in our choir that our venture into 4 line, square pants (notes, I mean) is not some sort of harbinger of massive change. Pun intended. We will employ the Ballou Method (a sort of Ward Method for Baby Boomers.)
    c. CW- I can assure you that your vocal abilities, such as you think they are, are of a calibre greater than some I've encountered over these three years at events. But I, and I presume all of us, can empathize (we're so Obama/Sotomayor) with a disposition that says the experience would be opposite of what its adverts and testimonials prove it to be, ie. "Heaven" not "hell on earth." Yes, one of the perks of colloquium for directors is that you do sing at rehearsals, seemingly incessantly, for a week. That's a perk because most of us want NOT TO BE IN CHARGE for just a little while. You don't get that at MENC, ACDA, Choristers Guild, etc. You listen to other choirs and people talking about singing or directing. At colloquium, you sing. But not for singing's joy itself, but for a tangible, yet metaphysical prize that is within the context of actual ritualization of your efforts. No where else can that be found. You are, at your console, the head honcho with your charges. At CMAA, you are anonymous, one voice comprised of many, just as your instrument functions at your fingertips and pedals.
    d. If colloquiums were to de-evolve into what you describe in the last paragraph, well, you'd have another AGO or High-Falutin' NPM (they wish!)
    e. Colloquiums do venture into other genres, witness the Elgar "Ave verum," the Brahms "Let thy soul not grieve," the Liszt "Ave maris...," some quasi-Orthodox monody/homophony, as well as compositions unveiled at the reading sessions which provide the soul and ear with plenty of variety. The organ pre/post-ludes and recitals are both exquisite and overwhelming at once, even to the point of prompting discussions of their own theological purpose. But to ask the CMAA to go the route of being "all things to all people" by expanding its priorities beyond the edification of chant first, and polyphony second, would be to invite its dilution and betrayal of purpose, and eventually its demise.
    f. I am, the older I get, the less certain of what things are of "worth and interest" to the believing soul. I can tell you that my wife, still in ardor of last month's exposure, wants to experience colloquium annually with her husband. I'm okay with that. We'll make plans, God will then laugh or smile.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, I can see some good things from what you are saying. I don't advocate that CMAA become AGO. I enjoy AGO and love what they do. I attend when it's held at reasonable distances from my home.

But at the same time, most of the Catholic musicians in the country deal with chant and polyphony quite easily - they just don't use it, period. I know it's hard to believe, but any number of folks out there, musicians included, detest chant. I am not one of those. If CMAA gets so boxed into chant and polyphony, and ignores, for example, the contributions of Romantic composers, great Anglican musicians, etc. then it will become so anachronistic it will become another flat earth society - and have about as little effect on the mainstream.

BTW, someone just passed on the Elgar to me and I gave it to the choir last week. The Liszt I am viewing as a possibility. As I mentioned to Mia, I will look at what is being offered at the colloquium next year, then decide if it meets my needs.
  • Donnaswan
    CharlesW,
    We do the Elgar occasionally. I love Elgar, but I have to say his setting of the Ave Verum just doesn't turn me on as much as the Byrd or even Mozart. I'm thinking there is a nice setting for two-pt women's voices by somebody French- Franck maybe? It'll come to me.

Donna
  • CharlesW
    Donna, the Elgar is a bit "formulaic" for the time period, but it is new to us. The advantage to it is that the choir already knows all the words. I agree it's not up there with the Mozart. Let me know on the French setting when you think of it. I love Franck.
  • chonakchonak
    This year's music program included works of Vaughan Williams, Faure (the Messe Basse), Brahms, Haydn (the Kleine Orgelmesse), and Liszt; I think it's a fair presence of styles outside polyphony and plainchant. Enjoy the recordings.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks. That's a broad selection. That all sounds pretty good.
  • Donnaswan
    CharlesW,
    I went for the first time (paid my own way) and enjoyed it very much- it is NOT constant singing of chant. of course, I started out in life as a singer not a director, so I really enjoy not having to make any decisions except which note I'm going to sing! LOL And the Haydn was pure pleasure! H Bucholz was a wonderful director. I've sung under some talented, charismatic directors in my life, inc recording the Beethoven 'Missa Solemnis' under Bernstein, and Maestro B ranks right up there.
    And the food was outstanding!! Plus the setting is so beautiful. Now if we could just arrange for our very own sailboat.
    Donna
    PS. The thing I don't like about the Elgar is the last three or four meas. :)
  • Chant demands a strong leader, cannot be sung without it. That's one of the reasons that a singer begins and others join at the • This person determines the pitch and the tempo. CharlesW is absolutely right, without a knowledgeable person leading the group, either by conducting or singing, it can turn into a free-for-all....much like Anglican Chant without a director...
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Pes--

funny (to me) that you say modern notation "over-specifies things." In the case of chant, I am always trying to persuade people that modern notation simply cannot convey the nuances that neums can. In other words, modern notation lacks the subtleties of chant notation.

I have sometimes come across the assertion that Eskimos have 12 different words for snow. Eskimos are snow experts, so that makes sense. Square notes are an Eskimo-style language for chant--a rich, sophisticated way to communicate how it is to be sung. Modern notation lacks the basic terminology. Thus it can communicate only a very crude, truncated comprehension of chant.

I'd say trying to sing chant with modern notation is a matter of receiving not nearly enough information rather than too much.

I'm guessing that this is a semantic issue and that we probably agree on the superiority of square notation when it comes to telling singers how to render chant.
  • Pes
    marymezzo

Yes, we certainly do agree on the superiority of square notation for chant. By "over-specify" I mean the whole rhythmic apparatus, bar lines, key signatures, dynamics, slurs, -- the whole nine yards. For chant, that's all superfluous. Sure, square notation conveys subtleties very well, but it does so within a presentation that stays pretty economical overall. It's a marvel.

And of course, it's a form of musical calligraphy that blends well visually with text, which has also been calligraphic. Perhaps when people first discover square notation, the shock comes partly from seeing a vast difference between musical calligraphy and modern typesetting. The orthography is so different! Think of how you'd feel if you saw a richly calligraphic text with a full apparatus of modern notation set on top of it for melody.
  • I'd say that modern notation just does not "over-specify" but is too generalized...much like a screw-driver kit with magnetized multiple bits and attachments for various styles of screw heads and bolts...metric and inches....with a torque adjustment.

Very helpful unless you just want to pry open a can of paint.

Chant notation is a pry bar for melodic singing, a pry bar that also does not restrict the flow of the words with artificial time barriers.

And since the timelessness of chant is due to the lack of familiar cadences, why have time barriers?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Western notation CAN be used without "time barriers". It's the approach to the printed notes on the paper. It's only a tool for a composer to get his/her musical ideas represented. The final creation of the music - in performance - requires informed musicians, who can evaluate all of the printed information, and decide on parameters. I do compare my western notation versions with the square notation, including the Selesmes markings. I have no problem making any line of music as fluid as I like. (Of course, I do this less with hymnody!) Also, when I put anything into finale, the time signature is turned off in the Staff tool menu - even for hymns.
  • Pes
    The whole modern system is what I'm referring to -- it's very elaborate!

And Steve is right: it can be tweaked and scaled back to represent chant better -- but in that case, why not just learn the chant notation in the first place?

I'd like to come back to the point that learning square notation gives you direct access to a huge range of source material. I was in the sacristy of Santa Croce in Florence a month or so ago, saw a very nice antiphonary on display, and just sight-read the thing right there, no problem. My relatives were looking at me like I suddenly developed fluency in Chinese, but as I explained the system, they nodded and said, okay, that makes sense.

Because it does!
  • JamJam
    If you have to change modern notation so much in order to render chant effectively--doesn't that tell you that it, well, doesn't render chant effectively?
  • CharlesW
    I think the way chant is rendered is more dependent on the singer than on the neumes. Chant allows for a wide, wide, range of individual interpretation. Perhaps that's both its curse and blessing. One has to remember this is primitive music from an essentially, primitive time. It was passed on by aural tradition for centuries before anyone was able to notate it. None of the above indicates anything that is "wrong" with chant. It's just music from an earlier time, place, and culture. We really don't know how it was "done" in the early centuries. For all we know, the Irish could have been dancing and singing "Riverchant." You have to watch those Irish. They are too creative for their own good. ;-) I have often wondered if anyone had the ancient equivalent of T-shirts with "Dufay Rocks" or "Aurelius Clemens Prudentius Rules" on them. ;-) Who knows?
  • GavinGavin
    Charles, I'm willing to join in decrying the fetishists who insist upon elevating square notes to sacramental status and hail them as perfect notation from which all development is a waste. But I really don't see how one can maintain that "chant notation" (a fairly recent development) is equal in suitability for chant as modern notation. Yes, one can add quilismas and episemas, but is this truly modern notation? I submit that such an adaptation is properly chant notation itself. Modern notation can only show pitch, not the rhythm of chant. Ergo, chant notation is better suited to chant.
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, I use modern notation to accompany chant - actually, not always, but most of the time. However, a singer who knows chant notation can sing well with neumes and doesn't need accompaniment. Whether or not the two systems are equal, is anyone's guess. Capable singers could probably sing well with either chant or modern notation because of the artistry and interpretation they would bring to it. I find much of what is "known" about chant to be speculation. No one knows how this music was actually performed.
  • miacoyne
    If one wants to make a fair judgement of the two, I think he should have knowledge on both. Otherwise, the criticism against one is not vaild or scholastic.
    The Church apporved the research and studies of Solesmes, and has been keeping the Gregorian chants in the first place in Roman litturgy. Whether today's church musicians keep that way or not doesn't change the truth. As a church musician, my work is following the Church's wishes and do my best to promote and make them beautiful to support the sacred litrugy. And the chant notation is a main tool to accomplish that goal, and the accomplished artists' interpretation of chants is also based on the interpretation of the neums, not interpretation of stempless-note heads. Stemless note-heads and English Propers can be steps for the higher goal. When you look at the neums, and even if you don't know how to interprete the neums, you can get the idea of grouping of the notes per a syllable. The lines of note-heads project the image of music to singers as indiviual notes lined up and hear that way and sing that way. In addition, each neum has a special way of singing it. Rejecting the chant notation because you don't know how the chant were sung 1500 years ago is not a valid reason not to use the chant notation, because chant has been sung and studied over the centuries and we have the tradition. I heard a professional group singing Gregorian chants whose expertise was on early music. Their singing itself was excellent, quality voice, good phrasing etc.. and their polyphony singings were superb, but I could hear them they were singing Gregorian chants from modern notation. If I didn't learn how to sing chant notation, I would not have heard the difference.
    Singing chants is a challenge for many reasons, but most of all, it deepens my faith with its beauty and sacredness.
  • CharlesW
    Mia, much of what you write as fact, is much more subjective than that. It's really your opinion. I suspect that most of us, as a practical matter, end up working with what we have available. We may not have the best editions available and often can't trace the history or worth of the editions we are using. Sometimes I have neumes to work with, sometimes stemless notes. Often, what I have is from a hymnal, and its authenticity is really anyone's guess. Again, I work with what I have.

I am not at all convinced that the Church consecrated or annointed Solemnes. Modern chant scholars can, and often do, disagree with Solemnes.

Sad to say, as I have pointed out before, most Catholic musicians in the United States solve the issue of chant by simply never using it. To change that, something is going to have to be published that's very "user friendly" for the average Catholic (spell that NPM) musician.
  • miacoyne
    I don't think 'user friendly' is the solution. Many hymnals already have chants in note-heads notation. I don't see it's working. To many people it looks just boring. The most sacred and litrugical music for the Roman liturgy deserves better than lines of stemless note heads. (Well, these days many sacred things getting more and more casual look, and loosing the dignity in their look, because people think its not 'frinedly.' is that the reason nuns change to casual dresses? They are more approachable and friendly? )

OF course there are disagreements in interpretations, like in any other music. But different editions do use chant notations. When I said Solesmes monks, I didn't mean just Solesmes method. I'm for both, and that's my musical judgement, but based on chant notation. I'm sure you are far better musician than I am, but in this case, my opinions are based on and with the knowledge of both modern notation and chant notation. I believe your opinion is only from the knowledge of modern notation. I think you can accompany chants if you have to and use modern notation. That is your choice, because chant notation is not written for organ or any other instruments. If you really don't care about the chant notation, why not have some other person direct the schola? The MD of parish I work with did't have time and interest to study chant notation, so he handed over his schola to me, and he never objected against using the chant notation. My schola members who sang only from modern notation are very happy now singing chants from chant notation. Because they hear the difference. Is this just an opinion?
  • CharlesW
    Mia, I probably can read chant notation equally as well as you. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. There are no edicts from heaven or Rome that I have to use one or the other.
  • miacoyne
    Really? I have to think about that.

It's been nice talking to you. Hope I can meet you in person someday, instead of behind the computer screen. And I hope you understand that everything I said was not out of disrespect or personal criticism. I just wanted to share what I experienced in singing chants from chant notation., because they are so beautiful.
  • CharlesW
    Mia, I also suspect that much of what we hear is more dependent on the skill and talent of the singer, not the notation. Chant in the wrong hands can sound just as bad as anything in modern notation.
  • miacoyne
    Of course that goes with any music and musicians, not just chants.
    A builder can build a beautiful house with his good skills, and good tools are big plus. And a poor builder cannot do it even with good tools if he doens't improve his skills or learn to use the good tools.
  • CharlesW
    I took nothing personally from anything you said, Mia. And perhaps we can meet one of these days if I ever get to the annual Chicago gathering.

I am in an area that is 3 to 4 percent Catholic, at most. Three of the Catholic churches in the region have musicians who are restoring and promoting music that is sacred and reverent. We all three post here, by the way.

My biggest concern is the other Catholic churches in the area. One of them has been collecting money to buy a new drum - does that tell you anything? Somehow, we have to get what we are attempting to do out of the colloquiums and conventions and into the other churches using forms and materials they will not automatically reject. Is that even possible? I don't know. But right now, local Catholics are divided into two different camps and don't even speak the same language, or so it seems.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Charles for your understanding (and my poor English). We are fighting a battle (sorry for the expression. Probably from my Marine boy). My parish also has a praise band with a loud drum in the front 'stage.' After all, we all have our own way of fighting this battle. God bless you and all your hard work. (and hope to meet you someday soon.)
  • mjballoumjballou
    As the originator of the Ballou method (thanks Charles in CenCA), I read all forty of these posts in a single pass as punishment for failing to check the Forum every 30 minutes.

I like neumes, but I only liked them when I realized I could sing them without knowing the names of the compound ones. And I don't make anyone who sings with me learn more than the basics either. I like neumes because people don't bring too many of their preconceived notations of church music along.

At the same time, I can work with stemless notation on a five-line staff. And I've used it with groups that just "freaked" at the more traditional notation. Heck, if I could master the Guidonian hand, I'd use that too.

I do what works with the singers I have in front of me at that moment.

The chant is not the notation. The chant is the text and the sounds. Notation came later when chants became sufficiently complex, the repertoire had advanced beyond memory, and there was a desire to create a higher lever of uniformity in the western Church. (OK, that's a mangling of ecclesiastical music history.)

I love Gregorian chant. I also love Znamenny, Byzantine (without the Hammond organ), Melanisian, and just about any form of sacred monophony that crosses my path. But I also love American shape-note, Anglican chant, the work of Andre Gouze, and more besides.
  • mjballoumjballou
    That's "preconceived notions" - not "notations." Well, maybe ....
  • CharlesW
    "CommentAuthormjballou CommentTime5 minutes ago
    That's "preconceived notions" - not "notations." Well, maybe ...."

Sounds like a Freudian slip to me! ;-: Where is this Ballou method available? Is it in print?
  • JamJam
    Well, I think that we should really do like the early church did, and use notation like this. Because obviously that's the best way to render chant ever.
  • CW, current issue (Summer 09) of "Sacred Music." Basically, MJB's article is a simple, common sense compendium of her methodologies when teaching and directing whatever assemblage of singers she has before her; not a "method" per se.
    Like every article of hers I've encountered, should be required reading for ever'one, novices and aesthetes alike. My wife was reading this particular article on the way home from church after colloquium one recent Sunday, and was virtually cheering at least once every paragraph.
    Because I've observed MJB, AOZ, Drs.Jenny and Susan, MA, SingMum et al at close quarters, I'm secretly, and stealthily (?) going to groom Wendy to take over schola; not because she is also one of the gals- I'm no Scott Turkington, Yurodivi, chonak, MOC, Aristotle, Pedro from NYC or David Hughes!
  • Jam...and others.

Best way? Well, it formalized what had been attempted for centuries so it was a big advance.

Chant notation is the logical outgrowth out of the notation which Jam has posted (thanks!) that then, with the addition of lines, became chant notation which became the golden standard from then on, up to and into the early years of polyphony.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to learn to read chant notation, just as there is no reason to study grammar as long as you just plan to read. A knowledge of the rules of grammar applies to speaking, not reading, ain't it? Irregardless of that, learning to read chant is unnecessary.

Now, if you want to sing chant it's a different story. When I listened to the cantor singing by herself from Chicago, I heard her sing the quilisma squiggly note as a trill. I've wondered about that, just as I have wondered about conventions in the singing of the Podatus...should the second note be softer? Should Punctum Inclinatum also be sung softer than the Punctum that precedes them...

This may be totally wrong....but reading the notes and understanding them does make one wonder about the musical interpretation.

This is where the round notes fail. They fail to show the architectural structure of the melodic phrase in a simple and clear manner. Round notes must fall on the page like pearls on a necklace, like lights on the structure of a suspension bridge.

I'm not a chant expert, just someone interested in knowing more and more about it.
  • Jam: Hear, hear! (j/k)

Actually, that reminds me that some months ago I happened upon a site whose authors proposed a notation system based on the St. Gallen neumes, but (1) the neumes were placed on a Guidonian staff, and (2) the width of the neume strokes was thickened to make them readable against the staff lines.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the right search-engine-keyword combination to uncover the site.

And, if I remember correctly, the system is under copyright.
  • miacoyne
    Aristotle, Does the author explain the benefits of using St Gallen neums on a Guidonian staff for singing chants?
  • JamJam
    I was joking, of course, but I have seen a man read--during liturgy!--notation like this (Byzantine chant), and it was nothing short of awesome. I actually really want to learn how to read Byzantine notation myself.

As for chant notation, it was the organic outgrowth of the original notation, which was the organic outgrowth of the aural tradition. Modern music notation did not grow organically out of chant but rather grew organically out of polyphony and instrumental music. Ergo, I would say that trying to apply modern music notation to chant is more than just an anachronism. They just don't fit together, because they did not evolve together. It's do-able, yes, and there's nothing wrong with it, but all the singers I know who can read neumes prefer them--for chant.
  • Mia, I'm only going from memory, but the author/creator did make an attempt to explain those benefits, and the explanation made sense to me — maximizing the rhythmic details and melodic flow implied by the St. Gallen while retaining the pitch information of the square notation.

If anyone can find the URL of the site I'm attempting to describe, I'd be grateful.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, thanks for the note on the Summer "Sacred Music." It's here, but still unread, since I am behind on my reading. I will look up that article.