Gradual for December 27th
  • The text of the gradual for the feast of St. John, Apostle and Evangelist says: “Exiit sermo inter fratres, quod discipulus ille non moritur: et not dixit Jesus: Non moritur. Sed: Sic eum volo manere, donec veniam: tu me sequere.”

(“This saying therefore went abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die. And Jesus did not say: He should not die. But: So I will have him to remain till I come: follow thou Me.”)

In the 1961 Liber Usualis a portion of the text is missing. The copyist skipped from the first “non moritur” to the second, and left out “et not dixit Jesus: Non moritur.”

The remaining text says, “This saying therefore went abroad among the brethren that that disciple should not die. But: So I will have him to remain till I come: follow thou Me.” The crucial phrase, “And Jesus did not say: He should not die” is missing.

The music in the 1961 LU is essentially the same as that in the older sources, but because of the copying error, the text is harder to comprehend.

In this discrepancy, as in others I’ve mentioned on this forum, the Pothier Graduales and the early LU’s are in agreement with the 1962 Missal, the 1961 LU is not.

It is important to distinguish between legitimate variant readings and copying mistakes. Otherwise we end up perpetuating errors.
  • dvalerio
    Once more, medieval sources do give the Gradual text as is now found in the Graduale Romanum. Check this link: the Communion has the whole text, but the Gradual does not, and ommits the words you mention.

It is probably another example of the story of changed words in the Missale, then in the Graduale, and of the restoration of the Graduale but not of the Missale, mentioned in the previous discussion...
  • RobertRobert
    Here's an image of the original page from St-Gall 359

Seems to me to be more a deliberate adaptation of the text than a copying error--that would be a pretty big copying error. Or maybe the copying error was in the scriptural text that the composer was working with when it was set to music.
  • dvalerio:

Quite possible.

Robert:

"Or maybe the copying error was in the scriptural text that the composer was working with when it was set to music." Perhaps. I don't see how it could be a deliberate adaptation, though. It can hardly be argued that the omission is artistically justified since the abbreviated text results in a reading that is somewhat obscure, and the music is virtually the same in both instances.

All:

My point in giving these examples is that there are discrepancies between the texts of the 1961 LU and the 1962 Missal that disappear when the Missal is compared with late 19th and early 20th century editions of chant, and in many cases there is no reason these sources should not be used to harmonize the sung chant with the readings in the Missal.
  • dvalerio
    > the abbreviated text results in a reading that is somewhat obscure

Liturgical chants often abbreviate scriptural texts by ommiting some words; what the reason for that might be in this case surpasses your knowledge as well as mine!

> there are discrepancies between the texts of the 1961 LU and the 1962 Missal that disappear when the Missal is compared with late 19th and early 20th century editions of chant

Sure, till the 1907 decree of the SCR quoted by Rossini in his book of simplified propers and mentioned by Chrism in the other discussion, you simply had to sing what the Missale said, whatever ancient manuscripts might say. So the chant had to be adapted one way or another.

> there is no reason these sources should not be used to harmonize the sung chant with the readings in the Missal

Well, the 1907 decree (you can find it at the beginning of the Graduale) says that «So that the form of chant might be better restituted, not a few textual readings have been restituted, which differ from the modern text of the Missale.» This is the authority by which different words were allowed. Was it a good idea? Clearly the reasoning was that Gregorian chant should be sung just as it had been composed. A restoration was being carried about, both of melody and words. And melody and words pass together. And chant, that ancient work of art, was not to be spoiled and marred by unnecessary word changes. Of course, one may disagree with this line of thought: it is just that it has been consistently adopted by the Church over the last century...
  • dvalerio:

You seem quite impervious to the idea that copying errors occur.

Note that the 1961 LU is not in agreement with the Rossini, either.

Where the earlier sources I quoted have the missing phrase, “et non dixit Jesus: non moritur,” Rossini has “et non dixit Deus: non moritur,” the use of “Deus” rather than “Jesus” being a “slight discrepancy.” The 1961 LU is missing that phrase entirely.

Also, the 1961 LU includes the phrase, “tu me sequere,” which is absent from the Rossini.
  • dvalerio
    > You seem quite impervious to the idea that copying errors occur.

Certainly not! You're right: they do occur. And typos in chant books occur as well, I'm afraid. I only mean that not all divergences are errors or typos... Many are intended, and there is a reason (even if one we don't agree with) behind them. If you compare books printed before and after the St. Pius X reform, it's likely that most divergences will fall in the «intended» category (which is not to say that recent books have no mistakes).

Concerning the Gradual of the feast of St. John the Evangelist, I believe that medieval sources agree with the abbreviated text found in recent books (e.g. the 1961 LU), and so I understand that older sources have modified the original to fit in a more recent text, and Rossini is probably mistaken.
  • The examples I’ve given of how one can harmonize the 1961 LU with the 1962 Missal are musically innocuous. Though the two versions of the chant from the feast of St. John described in this thread differ more than most of the examples I’ve mentioned, it is important to note that the piece in question is a gradual.

The use of standard phrases in graduals is well known. In a sense, they are really very elaborate reciting formulas, though some highly distinctive passages frequently occur, often towards the beginning of the chant. The passages I’m referring to occur with only minor differences in many mode 5 graduals. This is why it cannot be convincingly argued from aesthetic grounds that the use of the version with the complete text would be harmful. In such a situation it is naive to argue that there must have been a profound, yet to us, unknowable, reason for the omission.

One could argue in reference to all the examples I’ve given that the overall quality of the presentation is enhanced when the text is made consonant with that of the Missal.
  • RobertRobert
    Even if doing as you propose, Patrick, were an enhancement, is it permissable for the '62 Missal? There is an official version of Gregorian chant for the '62 Missal; the 1908 Vatican edition, and authorized editions based on it. One can question whether the editors of the Vatican edition made the best choices, but their choices were not (necessarily) oversights--they were motivated by fidelity to the oldest sources, which are by definition older than the texts in the Missal (since the appearance of the proper texts of the Missal is simply the importation of texts from the chant books).

Perhaps, though, there is not any strict requirement...
  • “is it permissable for the '62 Missal?”

An excellent question.

The great chant scholar David Hiley says the 1908 Graduale Romanum is “in effect a new edition of Pothier’s Liber gradualis, re-edited in light of the Solesmes Liber usualis of 1903” (Western Plainchant, 627).

I’ve come across a couple of dozen discrepancies between the text of the 1962 Missal and the 1961 LU. With Hiley’s observation in mind, it is interesting to note that in all cases, the 1962 Missal is in agreement with Pothier’s two Graduales and the 1903 LU, and the 1961 LU agrees with the 1908 Graduale.

Apparently, the differences in the chant arose with the 1908 Graduale. A great source of division among the members of the commission responsible for the 1908 Graduale was the question of whether later sources, as representative of a “living tradition,” could be used in preference to earlier sources. Enormous controversy surrounded the compilation of the 1908 Graduale and it is difficult to know whose views prevailed in any particular situation. It seems evident, though, that the earlier readings were not always adopted. I don’t think this is relevant to the corrections I’ve suggested, though.

Regarding the discrepancies I’ve noted between the 1962 Missal and the 1961 LU (and the 1908 Graduale), Hiley’s comment that the 1908 Graduale was derived from Pothier’s two Graduales and the 1903 LU (three sources which are in agreement with the 1962 Missal), lends strong support to the contention that these discrepancies are copying errors.

One can be too concerned with the continuity between the chant sung now and that found in early manuscripts, and not attentive enough to congruence between the sung chant and the corresponding texts in the Missal, preferring to concentrate on “horizontal” rather than “vertical” considerations, if you will. Undoubtedly, enormous erudition was behind Pothier’s Graduales as well as the 1908 Graduale. I have no desire to second-guess the scholars responsible for these works. From a practical perspective, I think it highly desirable that the texts of the chants conform to the readings in the Missal, particularly since the current differences appear to be the result of errors, and congruence can be achieved without damaging the musical integrity of the chants.

Is it permissible to sing the passages I've referred to as presented in the Pothier Graduales or the 1903 LU in order to correct copying mistakes? I would hope so, but I really don’t know.

One wonders why disagreements between the Missal and the Graduale persist. My copy of the 1962 Missal was published in 2004 and is a “fully revised and updated” edition of an earlier one. The 1908 Graduale is more than 100 years old and the 1961 LU almost fifty. Surely it is high time to harmonize the texts of the chant with those of the Missal.

“the appearance of the proper texts of the Missal is simply the importation of texts from the chant books”

Is this so? The earliest manuscripts of proper texts predate the earliest chant manuscripts.
  • dvalerio
    > One wonders why disagreements between the Missal and the Graduale persist.

Beware: this argument works both ways, since you could also argue that it is the Missale Romanum that should be brought back to the ancient readings, and not the other way round...
  • "Regarding the discrepancies I’ve noted between the 1962 Missal and the 1961 LU (and the 1908 Graduale), Hiley’s comment that the 1908 Graduale was derived from Pothier’s two Graduales and the 1903 LU (three sources which are in agreement with the 1962 Missal), lends strong support to the contention that these discrepancies are copying errors."

Patrick, the point has already been made on this and the previous thread that the textual changes introduced with the 1908 Graduale were deliberate. They are not "errors", although I suppose you are free to disagree with them. In particular, the text of the Gradual "Exiit sermo" in the 1908 GR is the same as the 10th century manuscript linked to in Robert's post above (except for the spelling of one word). It's also the same as the text in the Henry Bradshaw edition of the Missale Romanum from 1474 (called Mediolani, pub. 1899) - see attached page.

You haven't produced a shred of evidence that any portion of the text of the 1908 GR is the result of early 20th century "copying errors".
  • Arthur Connick:

“the textual changes introduced with the 1908 Graduale were deliberate”

All of them? The editors chose chants with texts different from the Missal and music virtually identical to what was already in use? Of course.

Have you looked at the sources I’ve referenced? If so, you should have noticed that the musical differences are very slight. Do they justify choosing a variant text? Hardly. You may believe the editors deliberately chose antiquity over accuracy. I have more respect for them than that.

“you haven't produced a shred of evidence that any portion of the text of the 1908 GR is the result of early 20th century ‘copying errors’.”

As I’ve said before, my arguments in favour of copying errors apply to the select examples I’ve posted, not to every discrepancy between the Missal and the 1961 LU. You may find the evidence I’ve compiled unconvincing, but you cannot simply wish it away.
  • All:

Does anyone have access to the Missal in use during the years the 1908 Graduale was compiled?

I’m assuming the readings in my 1962 Missal are congruent with those in use at the time of Pius X. I also have a 1936 Missal, and the texts I’ve posted about are the same in both my Missals. I don’t have access to a Missal from the early 1900’s. I welcome any information that could confirm or contradict my assumption.

If the 1962 Missal is indeed consonant with the Missal in use when the 1908 Graduale was compiled, then either chants were adopted that did not conform to the Missal, or copying errors took place. Both are real possibilities. In the examples I’ve described, however, the differences in the chants are musically insignificant and it is unreasonable to suppose the divergent text was chosen for aesthetic reasons. Also, considering the layout of the chants and their texts, and the nature of the discrepancies, as well as the practicalities of compiling such a massive work, the existence of copying errors is quite probable.
  • RobertRobert
    Patrick,

I think you've done a fantastic job compiling a list of variants between the texts of the Missal and the Gradual, and in looking through the various graduals and pinpointing the 1908 as the edition in which the deviations begin. Thank you for this.

What your findings suggest to me (and to others here, apparently) is that the editors of the 1908 Graduale chose fidelity to the early manuscripts over fidelity to the Missal. This shows that at the end of the day, Mocquereau's paleographic project (which Dom Pothier seems to have been uncomfortable with) exerted a strong influence on that edition, notwithstanding the decision to adopt Pothier's Liber Gradualis as the standard.

I've gone through your list from the other thread and confirmed that, without exception, the Gradual texts match the most ancient musical sources and the Missal texts do not. You can do so yourself very easily: the Graduale Triplex notes every instance of a variant text in the paleographic sources, and there are a lot of these (which shows that the editors of the Graduale did not always side with those sources over the Missal), but none of these occur at the places you've identified. If you don't trust the Triplex you can consult the manuscripts themselves as the images are online (see for example the one I linked to earlier in the thread).

Further, I'm not convinced that "congruence [between the Missal and the Gradual] can be achieved without damaging the musical integrity of the chants." The music was composed to set a particular text, with a degree of sensitivity to the text not found in most other forms of music. Had the text been different, different musical choices may have been made. Even an extra syllable can make a difference in this respect.

If congruence is sought, perhaps it's the Missal that needs to be "corrected" against the Gradual! Pope Benedict has introduced a change to the 1962 Missal recently (the Good Friday prayers), so such a thing can be done... :-P
  • I think there are two other aspects to be considered here.

1. While changes under Pope Pius XII have the celebrant at a Solemn High Mass simply listening to the subdeacon and deacon chanting the Epistle and Gospel, rather than reading it silently simultaneously, he does still read the Propers at the Altar. Therefore, it is the Missal text which he must read. Minor variations in the chanted texts are not illegal or inapropriate. I stand to be corrected by a canon lawyer on this, but I'm pretty sure.

2. Are we looking at Missals and Graduals published for use specifically in the USA? If not, there have been variations in other countries, as well as other time periods. Some Propers in France were kept from the Gallican Missal. St. James the Greater is a national feast day and solemnity in Spain, and some of those Propers are drawn from the Mozarabic repertoire, I believe.

The point is that, neither over the centuries nor across the seas, has the Missale Romanum ever been absolutely, word for word, universal.
  • Robert:

Thank you for your kind words and your thoughtful post, and for going to the trouble of checking the passages I've mentioned against the Triplex.

Is the Graduale Triplex available for viewing online?
  • dvalerio
    > Is the Graduale Triplex available for viewing online?

Unfortunately no.

But you can:
    a) check several manuscripts on-line at the site Robert mentioned;
    b) check these revised versions by Anton Stingl, that include the neums from the Hartker codex (notice that the site is in German, the versions are not official, and the work is still not complete).
  • dvalerio:

Thank you.

All:

I'm still looking for a copy of the Missal that was in use when the 1908 Graduale was compliled. Any suggestions?
  • dvalerio
    You can find many editions of the MR in Google Books and in archive.org. The question is if any of them was the one in force in 1908, and I do not know the answer. Differences are of course minimal: but what you want is exactly to check small differences in propers, so...
  • dvalerio:

Thanks, again!