Chant with Accompanying Serpent?
  • Maureen
    Lion and the Cardinal had some fascinating links about "serpents", the musical instrument kind. I vaguely have heard of them though I've never heard one; but I'd never heard that they were designed to accompany/fill in bass parts for men singing chant! In fact, there's a fascinating print from 1825 of Amiens Cathedral with the choir and their two serpentists.

Apparently in Berlioz' day, they were still busy accompanying/joining in with singing "Dies Irae", which is why they were put into his Symphonie Fantastique. (Sp?)

Has anyone out there ever chanted with a serpentist helping out?

Can we find somebody to help try this out?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I believe this was the custom in France in the 19th century, but many musicians rejected this. C. Franck talks about this practice with disgust.
  • Maureen
    It sounds like it's the kind of instrument which is really nice if played well (and blends well if played quietly), but which is really horrible-sounding if not played well. Apparently this led to lots of comments about "brays" and "moos". And of course all sorts of older instruments are... well, beautiful to those who like them, but not to those who don't. Like bagpipes.

Mr Yeo with the print has some mp3s of himself playing with piano, etc, but that's not the same as playing with chant. So it's hard for me to get the idea.

We're very light on basses just now, so it sounds very attractive to have an instrumental bass voice. :)
  • G
    "Apparently this led to lots of comments about "brays" and "moos"."

Well, then, it ought to fit in just fine with the human voice as heard in many choirs...;oP

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • JL
    Maureen, why not use a bass viol the way the early American Protestant choirs did? It's less moo-ey than the serpent (though I know at least one really good serpent player), and if you ever wanted to add more viols you could do some of the Gibbons consort anthems. A bassoon or bass dulcian is also an attractive option, though as a singer I find them harder to tune to. Viols, celli, and bassoons also come in handy for any continuo pieces you might do.

Incidentally, I understand that there are two types of serpent: the church serpent and the military serpent. Back in my grad school days I catalogued an LP of the London Serpent Trio for my school library, but I could never quite get up the courage to listen to it.
  • IanWIanW
    JL,

Three serpents in one place at the same time. Wow! I'll look out for them.
  • IanWIanW
    The London Serpents Trio's website has a magnificent photo' of the Trio and their instruments, and the following statement:

The serpent dates from the end of the 16th century, when the first of these instruments was made by Edmé Guillaume, a canon of Auxerre cathedral in France, to accompany choirs singing plainsong. The instrument's vocal quality allowed it to be played without getting in the way of voices.

It also has a link to a Serpent website, where more information can be found.
  • Whatever happened to "she shall crush thy head"...?

Or, even better, Psalm 57:5: "Their madness (i.e. of the wicked) is according to the likeness of a serpent: like the deaf asp that stoppeth her ears" ;-P

And don't get me started on bagpipes inside huge granite-and-marble churches or at university field-house Baccalaureate Masses...there was a good reason for the old classification of instruments into 'haut' and 'bas', and don't let some of them in the door!

Actually, I heard serpents in a period-instrument concert or two back in the day, and they were surprisingly pleasant as used then. And I have a wonderfully musical and good-humored tubist who plays at my 'work church' every Easter, and what he does for the sound of the choir and of the organ is splendiferous. Not a moo, bray, or um-pah in sight! (But I don't ask him to accompany chant; I am not fond of isons, but he's so musical I'm betting he could play the chant by ear if asked.)
  • Gabe SGabe S
    I am a professional serpentist, and joined specifically to see if this group was familiar with the instrument. It really is an amazing instrument for use in the church...as it was invented for. In the 19th Century one could study serpent at the Paris Conservatory for Church or Military performance!

As with any other instrument, it takes a good player to make it beautiful. Many tubists attempt it, but it must approached quite differently to play it with its full potential. I have played at Mass on several occasions with choir. No other bass instrument blends as well with voices. Strings and reeds can not come as close to matching vocal timbre as the serpent does. Mechanically a buzzing lip is nearly identical to the function of the vocal chords.

I would encourage you to visit serpentwebsite.com as well as purchasing Doug Yeo's "Le Monde du Serpent" CD which contains several examples of plainchant with the original serpent parts.

Also I perform in Colonial Williamsburg, VA. If you're in town, I play serpent regularly there.

Please contact me for more information
    Gabe Stone
  • Sadly, Berlioz took the serpent out for his revision of the Symphonie fantastique. A loss IMO.
  • I would take an accompanying serpent ensemble over a CCM praise band any day.

Unfortunately, I am now being instructed to use only the Gather hymnal (The Adoremus Hymnals we have are being donated elsewhere, beyond my control) ... I wonder how the Gather music would sound with accompanying serpents. hmmmmm ...
  • CharlesW
    There are traditional hymns in the Gather Reprehensive hymnal. You could leave out the bad ones and only do the better ones. How much control do you have over music selection? Could you do this?
  • Gather "Reprehensive"? You mean "Comprehensive"? =)

We use Gather 1st Edition (the one they call "blue" when in fact it is "green").
  • CharlesW
    There is some genuine garbage in that hymnal, so reprehensive is accurate. ;-) But some of the traditional standard hymns are also there. My school uses it, but they are starting to wear out. When the new missal translation is out, I plan to buy new hymnals for the church. I will send all our RitualSong hymnals to the school. Maybe we could have a ceremonial "Gather" burning. LOL.
  • Yeah, there is a big difference between Gather Comprehensive and Gather 1st Edition: there are no traditional hymns in 1st Edition.
  • Gabe SGabe S
    If anyone is interested in plainchant with serpent parts written out as well as method for teaching how to accompany plainchant, there is a great Urtext available from www.hickeys.com. "Ouvrage Complet pour l'Education du Serpent" Metoyen, 1807.

Good for anyone that wants to learn how to play a bass accompaniment to chant, not just serpent!

Gabe
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • I did a search for "Metoyen, 1807" and it came up.

Complete Method for the Serpent
  • IanWIanW
    I love this board, I really do.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Serpents rock! Well, actually they sing - beautifully. If you have a serpentist nearby and have a polyphonic work which is causing pitch problems, add a serpent to the bass part (much better than adding a cello or a bassoon, although a well-played bass sackbut might work in some cases).
  • Aw, geez Margie, I hate to put a Capt'n Crunch nugget in everyone's souffle here, but if you need a little density to edify the bass (or any other line)...uh, we have the organ. Or any decent synth. No offense to professional serpentines intended.
    I swear I'm packing a lute to the Madeleine next June and all will be enthralled. Or not.
  • rob
    But Charles, a lute over a well-played bass sackbut?
  • How about a decent synth with a serpent sound?
  • If anyone is interested in plainchant with serpent parts written out as well as method for teaching how to accompany plainchant, there is a great Urtext available from www.hickeys.com. "Ouvrage Complet pour l'Education du Serpent" Metoyen, 1807.

Can't seem to find this anymore.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have indeed used a soft organ stop to double a single (usually bass) line in what would otherwise be a cappella polyphony ... use of a serpent, sackbut, or organ for such purposes has an established historical precedent. Somehow, a lute doesn't quite fit Renaissance polyphony ... but I absolutely love the lute (and theorbo) for madrigals and other late Renaissance works that are meant to be accompanied.
  • In Spain the bajon (curtal, dulzian, whatever you may call it) was used to accompany plainchant by the 17th century.
  • CHGiffen, Actually the organ probably accompanied polyphony a lot more than we are willing to admit. The position of organist in a Renaissance cathedral was an important one and the job description suggests that the organist accompanied polyphony in addition to alternating with it. This still needs study. We certainly know this to be the case in Venice, though.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I completely agree with you Michael, and it wasn't just in Venice.

I've recently discovered that there are present day curtal players ... would love to hear the curtal/bajon/dulzian incorporated.

- Chuck
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Yes, there are present day curtal players, quite a few; I play tenor myself (bass is a little big for my hands).
    Immaculate Conception in Cleveland once did a Du Mont mass with serpent support by Craig Kridel. Unfortunately, that was before my time.
    I heard the London Serpent Trio several times live...great fun.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    The Paul McCreesh CD version (on Archiv) of Victoria's Requiem has a bajon, doubling the basses a fair bit of the time. Sounds surprisingly effective (and subtle). You can listen to some extracts here:

http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-Officium-defunctorum-McCreesh-Gabrieli/dp/B0000057F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312364206&sr=8-1
  • The problem is that colla parte playing in polyphony for areas besides Venice has very little hard evidence. The writers of the time seem almost to have gone out of their way to frustrate us. They tell us what instruments are to be used in church and some places where they play alone, but so far there is no smoking gun document that says "trombone play along with the sextus singers". We can infer and experiment, but as of yet, we can't prove.
  • Did someone say SERPENT on Halloween?
  • There's a fairly recent recording (June 2017) by David Ponsford & L'Ecole de Nivers (Vol. V of French organ music on Nimbus) with the alternatim accompanied by serpent. The Hymns are particularly interesting
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Despite the impression that this thread might present, quality serpent players are few and far between, being well outnumbered by the poor ones. It is (pardon) a devil of a thing to play well. As a (very much) former professional horn player, I was pressed into service on one of these things and although I became passable (i.e., bearable) I did not excel at it, and doing so would have taken at least a year of diligent practice (on top of many many years of playing the horn). I certainly would not have dared to accompany chant on the thing (I was playing in an ensemble).

It is easy to imagine a mediocre or worse player attempting to accompany chant and ruining it with the aforementioned bovine and asinine (and no doubt porcine, equine, and other '-ine') sounds. Most serpent players would be well-advised to stick to making serpentine sounds (i.e., silence but for a rustle in the grass).

The few who are good are a joy to hear.
  • Liam
    Michael

Is the mouthpiece/embouchure for the serpent close enough to the exquisitely, um, focused such for horn that a horn player would undertake that mission willingly? (Former horn player here. For folks not familiar with differences in brass instruments: the mouthpiece/embouchure for horn is quite different than for other brass instruments - while horn players can transition more easily to playing other brass instruments, the reverse is not as easy.)
  • Sometimes the serpent determines the manner of accompaniment.
    1088 x 735 - 1M
  • @Liam

Bearing in mind that I am no expert: a little of both. The rim of the mouthpiece was narrow like the rim of a horn mouthpiece (and unlike the rim of other typical brass instruments). (At least, such was the one that I was given, and I was told it is 'military' style as opposed to 'church' style, but I believe this distinction had to do with the shape of the bowl rather than the thickness of the rim.) However, the bowl was more bowl-like (closer to a trumpet's mouthpiece in shape) than cone-like, as a horn mouthpiece is. Overall dimensions are larger than a horn mouthpiece.

For me, the challenge was less about embouchure (though it was certainly not an immediate transition) and not even so much about learning a new way of manipulating (fingering), but getting a solid feel for where the harmonics are, subtle things that must be done to keep it in tune while playing, and generally just getting a good feel for how to make it sound musical and not like a bicycle horn. Years of making all of that knowledge second-nature on a horn did not translate to this instrument, at least not in the short time that I had to learn it (about 6 weeks).

No doubt our resident professional can chime in and shed light.

Edit: And your observation is correct. I was 'honored' with this task because of some minor facility in switching from horn to other brass instruments.