A Catholic Choirbook
  • I have had the opportunity to visit a number of Catholic churches on Sundays recently and found myself at a Mass with a sizable choir. They did nothing but sing with the congregation. They are without a choir director which would seem to explain it, however, there are some accomplished musicians in the group. Why weren't they directing? Then it hit me. They surely have a filing cabinet full of music that directors have purchased for them, but nothing in the way of a choirbook that they feel comfortable using.

The old St. Gregory Hymnal and Choir Book was just that…all the basic music needed for a congregation and a choir. If they had that in their hands it would have been simple for them to turn to Remondi's O Sacrum Convivium or another of the gems that Catholic choirs have sung over the years.

At the same time that this happened, I realized that I was unsure of some formatting issues using Finale in the Parish Book Of English Hymns project, so I decided to do my experimenting on something other than the PBEH.

As a result, you may now download for free The Catholic Choirbook I or purchase it bound and printed at www.thecatholicchoirbook.com.

Copy this book. Everything in the Choirbook is either in the Public Domain or is created under the provisions of Creative Commons 3.0, which permits freely copying and sharing except for commercial purposes.

Musica Sacra forum members, even if you are buying just one copy, I have set it up so that you may use the discount code on the page to get the 40% discount.
  • chonakchonak
    Nice job, Noel! This will be very handy.

Here's a link to the site and another for the PDF download.
  • Gilbert
    Noel,

This is AWESOME!!
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Noel. This is very very helpful.
  • francis
    Wow. Fantastic dude! You really chant! (rock)
  • Jeffrey >•< deserves a lot of credit for getting me to understand the value of releasing a book as a free download while also marketing it as a printed book as well, which was a big influence for me to get this project done.

Thanks to all!
  • tdunbar
    re the St Gregory hymnal, there's a useful related article at:

http://www.adoremus.org/0604LucyCarroll.html

Montani's "pruning" for liturgical style, while perhaps offensive musically, makes a great range of wonderful music realistically available at a parish level and hence also supports full musical development in the concert hall.
  • Gilbert
    Noel,

How many volumes are planned? Will they be the same categories of material for each volume? When the volumes are done will it be possible to buy them in one bound book?
  • There are four volumes that we anticipate at this time. We do plan to offer it as one book eventually, but a lot of decisions were made with practicality in mind. So many choir members complain about heavy books that we decided to keep these to about 50 sheets of papre. The large size, 8" by 10" makes the music readable by older eyes but even more so in less than ideal lighting....which describes most choir lofts! The inclusion of multiple versions of the Ave Verum and the Adoramus Te are to help ground newcomers to singing in Latin and renew the ability of those who have sung on Latin in the use of pure vowels. In the next volume there will be versions of the Ave Maria for the same reason.

At this point we do not see any of these volumes have a theme, rather each one should stand on its own as increasing the repertoire of a choir.

We recommend that for an organist, two copies be purchased, taken to Staples and have them spiral bind them. That helps with the page turns.
  • Thank you SO MUCH!
  • miacoyne
    I just got my copy of the Choirbook. It came very fast. Thanks.
  • Gilbert
    Noel. What sort of time line do you have for this project? When do you foresee the 4 volumes as one book being available? Thank you SO MUCH for this!
  • We are digging into Volume 2 right now, interested in seeing what kind of commercial response there is...thanks to those that have already purchased and those who have taken advantage of the free downloads....

Spread the word. We have talked here locally about offering a Parish Book of Chant and Catholic Choirbook workshop to introduce local Catholics to the alternate possibilities that they have to the usual stuff and know that they will hear about and walk out with an info sheet that talk about Musica Sacra, the Forum and Chabanel and Fr. Weber and Fr. Kelly.

Book 2 will have more easy music along with the Miserere Allegri in the first edition based upon the English performances at Kings College in the 1950s. This has been authenticated by Roy Goodman, leader of the Brandenburg Consort, who was the boy soprano soloist in the famous recording. The thought was that they sang from the Ivor Jones Novello edition. They didn't.

Plus the Ave Verum of Byrd. And possibly the Hear My Prayer O Lord of Purcell.
  • Donnaswan
    if you do a workshop i will come. might have to come incognito,tho.

9cat on my lap- cannot type with both hands)
    donna
  • This book has most of the music that formed the core of our schola's repertoire in its early years. It will a great help to any choir getting off the ground. Most of the music that has been tested as singable, beautiful, and manageable is right here between two covers. Excellent editing too: this book will save hours, days, and weeks in hunting through catalogs and links.
  • Many of you have downloaded the Choirbook! Thanks for your interest.

If you have a moment, you can help the growth of this project by going to Amazon.com and posting a review.

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Choirbook-I-Noel-Jones/dp/1449550703/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257383215&sr=8-7

This would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • G
    "9cat on my lap- cannot type with both hands)"

You don't want to know what I thought you were saying until I realized that you just missed the shift key for the opening parenthesis.

Back on topic, I have some hope that I can soon start a new choir for which we can use these.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • This an interesting response from another forum in response to the announcement of the Choirbook:

Interesting, that most of the music contained in this resource is well over 300 years old.

Some nice music, I agree, but not entirely appropriate for a worship service where folks expect to understand what they are hearing.

Why is it that Methodists, Lutherans and other Christians can sing beautiful, more modern stuff, but we Catholics are expected to sing only music that is 400 years old (and in Latin) or overbearingly sentimental (On this day O beautiful mother).

My Catholic choir sang the Gilmont's Ave Verum just last week, but we sang as a prayer, rather than a concert piece. That means we sang it in English.</>.
  • francis
    Here is the error:

folks expect to understand what they are hearing.

Just because they don't 'understand' the words at the moment doesn't mean it is not effective music or not worship or not appropriate.

Nevertheless, we can help them out by providing translation if possible. Someone suggested that I print translations in our Sunday Bulletin. Great Idea!
  • And Guilmant is spinning in his grave...it's sad when people think that God only understands their own language.

But of course, if it is a performance, it is essential that people understand the words since a performance is for them, while prayer is to God.
  • GavinGavin
    "My Catholic choir sang the Gilmont's Ave Verum just last week, but we sang as a prayer, rather than a concert piece. That means we sang it in English."

Funniest. Statement. Ever.
  • miacoyne
    Maybe it's time to start teaching the children latin. As a convert and immigrant, I don't understand why we don't teach children the Mother language of the Church. Isn't that the most important language for the Catholics? It seems that we have much time for other languages and other activities. I guess this is one of our sufferings from the confusion for last 40 years, and the devil really trying to take the most sacred and beautiful music from us by attacking in many different ways.
  • francis
    In fact I would wager that one piece by Palestrina would have a permanent effect on one's soul over hearing a hundred second or third rate vernacular works.
  • miacoyne
    The sacred polyphony in latin, like Gregorain chants, are truly beautiful and sacred, and take us to the place where we experience awe and holiness of Divine Majesty.

"Out of the mouth of infants and of sucklings Thou hast perfected praise." (Ps. viii.3)
  • The view expressed in the original post is a product of the influence of NPM....I did a quick search and this organist is a member and holds certification from it and the AGO...he's a good guy, just of a mindset that most Catholic musicians have based upon what they have read and been taught.

We need a venue to show them what is possible. Unfortunately, it is very difficult if not impossible, to provide music for a liturgy without having to bow to the expectations of the congregation, rather than to permit them to experience something different of quality.

It is difficult to deal with, "you can come and sing. Now, you must do this, this and this because that's what we are used to."
  • CharlesW
    I am looking at The Catholic Choirbook I from the infamous Frog Music Press, as I write. It has some of the old standards, which are still quite useful. It also contains - gasp, horrors - ENGLISH. That's OK with me since as a Byzantine, I have never been in the all-liturgical language crowd, Latin or otherwise. There was also a Christmas piece which I kind of liked. It might be useful for Christmas Eve this year.
  • francis
    Charles

The argument many of us here present isn't English vrs Latin ... It's content: the quality of music AND quality of translation (sound theology) AND poetic rendering. Show me an excellent piece of chant or polyphony that embody all three and I will be thrilled. Many English translations fall off my list on the weak or errant theology before I even get to parse it's musical excellence. I always judge musical content irrespective of theological soundness just to give it a fighting chance and almost always the music is sorely lacking. The ratio of good Latin to English works is probably about 100 to 1. After that argument the excellent music is almost all public domain. (free) This seems like a no-brainer to the serious minded musician in the liturgical realm.

An aside to that point, I am thinkink of publishing all my original 50 or so compositions (English prayer songs for guitar) under the title "Please Don't Play These During The Catholic Mass".
  • CharlesW
    I am doing a bit of kidding with Noel about the "infamous Frog Music Press," since he lives here in the same city. So keep that in mind.

I think there is a reality which is also a "no-brainer." In this part of the country, an over-eager Latin fanatic can, and often does, cause Latin to be suppressed in the particular parish. Something similar happened in my city in the last week or so. Noel has also been in the same situation with the same result. It's not a matter of what music or translation is, or is not superior. I can do some Latin, as long as I do more English. I am fortunate to have a pastor who will let me tip the balance a bit in the Latin direction. Many pastors will not. It's all a matter of balance, and knowing how far you can go.
  • francis
    Hmmm... please correct me if I am wrong, but some of your comments leave me unsure of your position at times. If it was just ribbing Noel privately it would be different, but your comments are presented in a public forum and can greatly impact others who may not be as well anchored as Noel.

In my situation, I am unable to do very little of the Latin repertoire, but that is more because the music is much more challenging than the English repertoire, but we are working toward it. But that doesn't alter my long-term goals or the ideal for excellence or more importantly what the Church prefers and requests as music native to her rite.

It is statements like this that give me pause.

It's not a matter of what music or translation is, or is not superior.

...because that is TOTALLY the matter as far as I see it! If those aren't the criteria for what we do or do not allow (musically) into the liturgy, than what else is there?

And I don't think it's the "Latin" in the "over-eager fanatic" syndrome that is the problem as much as it's the inability to come under a Pastors authority in the introduction and execution of Latin music in good order. If one threatens or challenges the position of a priest it doesn't matter what kind of music is in question.
  • CharlesW
    Let me qualify by saying it is not always a matter of what music... Although I have no desire to do all-Latin music or masses - we do have an EF every week for those who want that - I would like the best English and Latin music we can do. That is what we try for - we being myself and the choir. My choir is equally at home with a Latin motet or an Anglican anthem. I don't find the Latin necessarily superior to English. The differences seem more often a matter of the time periods and compositional forms and styles in use at the time the music was created. It is sad that you are restricted from doing much Latin. If the problem is not clerical permission, then you will eventually be able to do it. I can use Latin, but I think a part of that is because of the English music I do. I don't go overboard with Latin because I don't want to trigger a backlash - always a possibility. Also, it seems that there is not one Roman Rite anymore, but several of them that are in use and permitted. Granted, there are abuses, but perhaps those will be corrected over time. A hopeful thought, at any rate.
  • I've just woken up (busy week followed by a class this AM in using MIDI to expand stop lists of pipe organs (HORRORS!)) and not not fully able to comprehend the last few messages so I put off responding for a bit.

But we have a red-blooded, meat-eating faith that has been restricted to a vegetarian diet of liturgy and music by the seminaries starting in 1970 and continuing in most today.

It's tofu city, not because of Latin...just people in the pews who have never been exposed to anything but tofu and see the blood dripping from the meat and run in horror.

It was not a tofu Jesus that hung on the cross.
  • francis
    Noel

Very graphic, but an accurate metaphor.
  • It's all about us...when it should be about Him.

WE OUR
    WE OUR
    WE MY

WE
    OUR WE
    OUR OUR
    OUR OUR

Source:
    WE The bread we offer you is blessed and broken,
    US OUR And it becomes for us our spirit’s food.
    WE Over the cup we bring, your Word is spoken;
    US Make it your gift to us, your healing blood.
    OUR Take all that daily toil, plants in our heart’s poor soil,
    WE Take all we start and spoil, each hopeful dream.
    WE WE The chances we have missed, the graces we resist,
    Lord, in thy Eucharist, take and redeem.

In Bread We Bring You Lord

WE OUR In bread we bring you Lord, our body's' labour
    WE OUR In wine we offer you our spirit's grief.
    WE MY We do not ask you, Lord, who is my neighbour?
    But stand united now, in one belief.
    WE For we have gladly heard your Word, your holy Word
    OUR WE And now in answer, Lord, our gifts we bring.
    OUR OUR Our selfish hearts make true, our failing faith renew,
    OUR OUR Our life belongs to you, our Lord and King.

WE The bread we offer you is blessed and broken,
    US OUR And it becomes for us our spirit’s food.
    WE Over the cup we bring, your Word is spoken;
    US Make it your gift to us, your healing blood.
    OUR Take all that daily toil, plants in our heart’s poor soil,
    WE Take all we start and spoil, each hopeful dream.
    WE WE The chances we have missed, the graces we resist,
    Lord, in thy Eucharist, take and redeem.
  • I am being paid not to comment on certain issues, so must be careful in what I say, but it is not Latin nor good music that is the problem, it is greedy people who want to preserve things just as they are.
  • miacoyne
    "gasp, horrors - Latin", at least in our area this happens lot more than "gasp, horrors - ENGLISH."
  • CharlesW
    So what diocese are you in, Mia?
  • CharlesW
    "I am being paid not to comment on certain issues..." So true, but it won't last forever.
  • CharlesW
    I am reluctant to quote church documents on music, especially those from Vatican II. I am old enough to remember the council well. Of one thing I am certain. The council fathers never foresaw the multiplicity of variants of the Roman Rite that exist today. Also, I don't think they could foresee the abdication of power by the Vatican to the bishops conferences. If Pope Benedict could just live another 40 years, then maybe things could really turn around. Maybe just 20 years would do it.
  • May I offer a short defense of the quotes presented. Who here can fault anyone for wanting understand what they are praying? I certainly can't. When he says that it was a prayer, I really believe he meant that it was real communication where both parties understood the prayer. Yes, we need more Latin in the Catholic schools and more in the liturgy, but belittling this person gets us nowhere. I'd rather argue that in corporate worship, an elevated language offers us a means of moving towards God. Latin is the language of the Latin Rite and we should gradually work towards using more of it by helping people understand what it means.
  • Michael, I was not happy with the tone of my post, for what I wanted to get across was the flawed environment that created his thinking. If I had wanted to belittle him I would have not worked to keep details out that would identify him.

He has more concern for his parish than the LATIN OR NOTHING people do.

I wonder how many Catholics left the church before Vatican II because they didn't like Latin. That's like joining the army because you are a pacifist and want to change things from the inside!

Remember, there IS no one as nervous as a Christian Scientist with appendicitis.
  • miacoyne
    CharlesW. I'm in the 'famous' Baltimore diocese. (until recently I didn't know much about our diocese.)

Noel, why people before Vatican II didn't like latin and leave the church? Is it because they were not taught well, or really because the language itself that they didn't like?

I know there are high school students who are not catholics trying to learn latin and parents trying to have their children learn it too, so they can be better with English and SAT.

It seems that in secular world latin is seen as an educational and also a beautiful language.
    The language of the Church seemed to be rejected by her own people.
  • Mia, I don't know if people left before Vat II because of Latin, I was wondering if they did. I wasn't very clear, sorry.
  • From another list:

I attended a Roman Catholic funeral today. It was fairly well done, I suppose, as they go. But what struck me was the "wistful" nature of it all, for lack of a better term. The deceased was 85, and his family are still mostly practicing Catholics. The priest asked them for music suggestions, so they chose their favorite hymns. They were, as follows:
    Opening - "Here I Am, Lord"
    For the Psalm - "On Eagle's Wings"
    Gospel Acc - "Celtic Alleluia"
    Offertory - something similar
    During communion - "Be Not Afraid" and the Hosea song "Return To Me" or whatever its exact title is
    Closing - something similar

There actually was some congregational singing, but it was all of the mumbled sort--no one actually sang out. The spoken responses were all mumbled. As I said, it was wistful--staring-at-the-ceiling-and-meditating-on-life sort of wistful. The musicians were good. The pianist played quite well, and a flautist helped out here and there. The celebrant gave a nice homily; he had a good voice and was fairly enthusiastic about everything considering that he was a visiting priest. There was an organ, but it was not used. Apparently, it is used occasionally on Sunday.
    But - as is obvious, there was nothing in the music that witnessed to the resurrection. It was simply a pastiche of everyone's favorite songs. It was utter uninspiring, but I guess if this is all one knows, then perhaps it can be inspiring. The music clearly was familiar to all the RC's, and so, I suppose, it was comforting.
    So goes the state of religion these days . . . .
  • francis
    Gag...
  • francis
    An English Prayer
    (to be sung at all bars where a gathering of two or more CMAA'ers congregate, especially during colloquiems. If they insist on singing bar room songs in the church, then we insist on singing this prayer in bars.)

"Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma"

Look what they've done to my song, ma
    Look what they've done to my song
    Well it's the only thing that I could do half right
    And it's turning out all wrong, ma
    Look what they've done to my song.

Look what they've done to my brain, ma
    Look what they've done to my brain
    Well they picked it like a chicken bone
    And I think I'm half insane, ma

I wish I could find a good book to live in (roman graduale, perhaps?)
    Wish I could find a good book
    Will if I cold find a real good book
    I'd never have to come out and look

It'll be all right ma, maybe it'll be okay
    Well if the people are buying tears I'll be rich someday, ma

Ils ont change ma chanson ma
    Ils ont change ma chanson
    C'est la seule chose que je peuz faire
    Et ce n'est pas bon ma
    Ils ont change ma chanson.

Well they tied it up in a plastic bag and they turned it upside down (Oregon Catholic Plastic)
    Look what they've done to my song, ma.

It's the only thing I could do all right and they turned it upside down
    Look what they've done to my song, ma.

(c) Copyright 1970 by Kama Rippa Music

(O my gosh! I am soooooo sorry. Part of this song is not in English. It's in French. O well, when you sing this prayer you can skip the verse that is not in English!)
  • CharlesW
    Francis, I think you just gave your age away. ;-) I have that album. Do you by any chance have a brand new pair of roller skates, too? LOL.
  • francis
    I had Inlines but didn't use them much. What really gives me away is that my favorite rock group is the original YES with Bill Bruford..
  • CharlesW
    I wondered if anyone else remembered Melanie Safka. YES - Bill Bruford was the drummer, right? Gosh, we are old. LOL.
  • chonakchonak
    Of course some of us are old enough to remember Melanie Safka, our fave hippie folkie.
  • I mentioned the Choirbook on PIPORG to let organists know of it's availability...and two really, really negative curmudgeons raked me over the coals -- "treacly music" and as a result I had a HUGE increase in free downloads and sales. If they would have kept quiet it would have been not half as good.

Should I send them complimentary copies? I just might.

Also, I use http://www.catholicprwire.com/ to send out notice of new music...think of them when you have something new to offer as well as workshops and things...they do get the word out.

However, I know that there are music magazines and groups that I and we should be reaching with PR...if you tell me who they are, I will create a list and make it available to all of us to use...