How to start a schola?
  • Hello All,

Rather than jump into the question, I'll give y'all a little background to tee-up the question.

My family and I (wife and two daughters 6 & 1) have been members of our parish for about a year and a half.

There is a newly formed children's choir, and my wife is the accompanist. They are singing songs like "We come to your feast" (with maracas), Amazing Grace, and some selections from Godspell.

The adult choir sings stuff from the "Catholic Community Hymnal"(GIA) with about half of the items we sing are composed after 1975. We also usually have one or two "Spirit and Song" (OCP) selections at each mass.

The choir director knows that I sang last year in a schola at a nearby monastery. The director is not opposed to chant--we do the Agnus Dei sometimes during Lent--in fact she says she likes it. But I don't know how to "promote" it without coming across as pushy. ( I've had experiences with some liturgy folks being territorial)

Some basic questions:

-How can I seek out other people who might want to sing in a chant schola?
    -How can I find out which chants to begin with? (I own "The Parish Book of Chant") And where do they belong in the mass?

Also, do y'all think the upcoming new translations for the mass provide an opportunity? or, will the upcoming changes make this even more of a challenge?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Kathy
    Hello, Mark, nice to "meet" you.

I was wondering whether you have a sense of when you would be able to sing at a parish Mass. Although singing for the sake of learning is great, I would think that the more important goal for a schola would be singing at Mass. Is there a Sunday Mass that currently has no music, early in the morning? That might be a place to start, or alternatively, on holy days for the daily Mass.

The reason I ask is that in my experience, a great way to narrow down the questions you've asked, such as recruitment and music selection, is to have a specific liturgical goal, such as we will sing at the morning Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8). Then prepare the music from the Graduale Romanum, including one of the chanted Ordinaries (such as Mass IX).

Anyways, I would suggest that you might first determine the liturgical goal, and work backwards from there to rehearse the schola.
  • I just started a schola in mid-September. It's comprised of me (the 25 year old director) and 6 other college students or young professionals, all male. I have had great success so far, our debut is tomorrow night. We're singing Ave Verum Corpus, Ecce Panis Angelorum, Ave Maris Stella, Salve Regina, Virgo Dei Genitrix, O Salutaris Hostia, Panis Angelicus, and Adoro Te for a 3 hour Eucharistic Adoration vigil. We use the Parish Book of Chant, and just got into Communio yesterday.

I would say try to start a schola for college-aged men (if you have a college nearby). One of the things I think was such a shame about allowing female altar servers is that the boys (myself included) simply stopped taking pride in it. An all-male schola or altar serving program is a way for men/boys to focus on God without the distraction of the opposite sex. It's been an incredibly rewarding experience so far.

The Communion propers are the easiest, and perfect to use in the liturgy since the congregation is busy going to communion. You may want to find/create other places/functions to sing at other than Mass if you're concerned about stepping on toes.
  • Thanks Kathy,

There is one mass Saturday evening and one Sunday morning. So, perhaps Holy Days would be the way to go. I would be willing to "cantor" with some chant wherever possible, or is it bad form to chant solo as a "first step"?

This leads to the second (and comparatively easier) question, what chants would be fitting the liturgy December 8? The Parish Book of Chant doesn't say what belongs where. I need to know what's what if I am to provide some leadership.

When I sang in the schola last year, the director selected (and typeset many of) the selections. To know what chants to do, do I need to get the Graduale Romanum, or can I look it up online?

Again, thank you.

Mark
  • Hi Ryan,

First of all good luck on your debut! I'm quite jealous of your situation. I'd join your schola in a heartbeat if you'd have me.
    I was an altar server as a boy too, and I couldn't agree more about the dynamic of female servers. The distractions are many.

Is there an online resource for Communion propers? If not, what resource should I buy?

What other places/functions come to mind outside of the liturgy? There is a Benedictine nursing home nearby...

Cheers,

-Mark
  • Kathy
    Mark, do the existing choirs ever take a week off? One of them might like a substitute for the Feast of the Holy Family, for example.

Are you certain you want to sing the propers in Latin? Or would you like to chant in English?
  • Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the advice. In fact, the choirs rotate, and do not always sing the same masses. This is a great idea to see when choirs have a week off. Since my wife is an accompanist, she already has the schedule.

When I sang with the schola last year, I personally found myself preferring the Latin. This is partly because I lived in Japan for two years, and the one time I could really pray with others at the parish was in Latin. Also, I went to the Gregorian Chant Festival in Watou Belguim this past May, and there was very little that was not Latin.

However, I do wonder whether it'd be more attractive to others to sing in English (or a mixture of Latin-English Verse-Refrain). What's your experience been?

Initially, I'm thinking that I would wind up doing this solo for a few times. I understand that a schola should be group, but am I asking for trouble to do it alone at first?

What resources should I have for each option?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark
  • Kathy
    I find that in an hour's rehearsal it's possible to teach an English introit and Communion antiphon, review Psalms and hymns, and do whatever else needs to be done in order to prepare for a Sunday Mass.

Do you have time constraints for rehearsals? If not, try singing the Latin antiphons with English Psalms. But if you are pressed for time, maybe the English antiphons from the Sacred Music Project would help. http://sacredmusicproject.com/st-meinrad-chant/index/
  • Mark,

Best wishes and God speed on your project. I might add that your first goal should be to find at least 3 people and begin learning the style and notation. Make it fun and somewhat casual at first unless you find a few trained musicians who are are ready to go. Request to sing one chant at a Mass sometime when you are VERY ready. It's so important that it not sound bad the first time out. People have heard great chant recordings in movies and other places, so they won't be that forgiving. Gradually find opportunities to sing a couple more things (as suggested above). Offer a sung Vespers first. That way you are not intruding on anyone's turf (PIP or musicians). Once folks get used to you being around, then maybe take on a bimonthly Mass. The key is "good and gradual".

Mike
  • "Is there an online resource for Communion propers?"

http://www.musicasacra.com/communio/
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your encouragement. I agree that there be at least three people in the group to start with. Since I'm a guy, these would have to be other men. (I'm told that a small group with mixed voices is hard to do)

What methods would be fitting to find folks for this? It's my understanding that this is not something to put in the bulletin. Can folks recommend a way to find a couple of other guys for this? Otherwise, this would start out as me being a soloist.

Thanks in advance,

-Mark
  • Carl DCarl D
    Best of luck on your new adventure, Mark!

I put together a two hour open chant workshop for our parish back in August, and ended up getting five more schola members out of that. More background here.

I had advertised that in the bulletin for a couple of weeks, but also sent the word out to all the existing choirs in the parish, even some outside our parish. The intent was not to CREATE a schola, or even to sign up new members, but to give people the opportunity to "learn, sing, and have some fun." Inspiring people to join the schola was a bonus.

You quickly mentioned the music director, but I'd say that's a critical person to have on side. So I would put together a plan which he or she can totally and enthusiastically support. That will help address any concerns that parishioners or clergy might raise, and communicate it as an integral part of the parish's music program rather than some weird thing off on the side. I agree that singing Mass is the whole point, so integrating it with the music program is critical.

Finally, I'd suggest you have in-depth discussions with a few people who have created scholas around the country. I have found these CMAA members here to be extremely outgoing, generous, and helpful - but there's only so much you can do in a few paragraphs here on the forum. You want something that's much more indepth than that. Be prepared that each person will have different advice, so make sure you talk to a range of people.

I'll be the first to volunteer, if you drop me an e-mail. I believe that's linked to my name above.
  • Yes, I chose not to build a schola from a single parish, but it does limit what we can do. All our members have choir duties in their own churches. We seem to have enough, though. Fortunately the 2 EF Masses in the area are in the late afternoon on Sunday.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Mark,

Regarding how to know what to sing, the Gregorian Missal has all of the proper chants for each Sunday and Holy Day of the liturgical year. They are in latin with English translations provided for reference. You can freely print and copy the pages you need.

The ordinary chants (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei) are also in the Gregorian Missal, but a subset of the ordinary is found in your Parish Book of Chant.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the great information. I'm a lot more chipper about this endeavor than I was 24 hours ago.

Ryan and Dan, I'm curious if the resources listed above (Gregorian Missal & Communion Propers) have the "corrected" melodies in them, or not. The schola I was in was directed by Fr. Anthony Ruff OSB and he would "correct" the melodies to reflect the current scholarship.

I ran the ideas in this thread past my wife, and she agrees about having an "explore chant" workshop, and have it culminate in singing chant for a particular mass. I'm thinking that some chant for Candlemas (Feb. 2 IIRC) would be fitting. I'm thinking that something sooner than this would be premature. It's November already. Does this seem like a decent starting place? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Mark
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Mark, I would say no. They are the prescribed melodies from the Graduale Romanum. You would certainly do well to begin with them. Other "fixes" would have been added by Fr. Ruff from his own research base.
  • BGP
    Mark,

Jeff Ostrowski has done a great service by creating this website http://jogueschant.org/ it has the proper chant scores and recordings arranged for Sundays. 'Correcting' melody's according to the latest scholarship is rather advanced, and the job of the director if he wants to do that, I wouldn't worry about it right now your trying to get started. Later on you can read up and listen to recordings and make your own decisions about interpretation.
  • Thank you!

This forum is a goldmine! Thanks for the joguechant.org link.

Thanks Dan, I'm not going to let the "correcting" of notes get in my way. I know it's an academic point, and I certainly won't let that distract me. I was just curious, and knew y'all would know the answer.

-Mark
  • miacoyne
    This forum is a goldmine! Indeed!

• Offer a sung Vespers first. That way you are not intruding on anyone's turf

Sounds like a splendid idea, and it resonates with this nice piece from NLM about reinstating a parish celebration of Sunday Vespers.

Might be a bit more complicated politically, though, depending on the parish -- if I'm not mistaken the most straightforward way to chant Vespers is to use the Extraordinary Form. Or is there a good resource for chanting OF Vespers?
  • Ben,

There are a couple of threads here on the OF Vespers (AKA Evening Prayer). Its advantage is that it is in English. Its disadvantage is the lack of good musical resources for the antiphons (in English). The EF Vespers is infinitely easier to assemble and IMO much more elegant in form. If your congregation doesn't mind following translations, then the EF is better. If you plan to include your congregation, the OF is the way to go. You can make it incredibly simple, musically.
  • Thanks for the great advice to all.

I've gotten some very useful advice in response to this initial question:
    -How can I find out which chants to begin with? (I own "The Parish Book of Chant") And where do they belong in the mass?

but I'm also in need of ideas as to how to act on this item:
    -How can I seek out other people who might want to sing in a chant schola?

Does the "explore chant" workshop seem like the best way to go? Are there other ideas here in the "goldmine?"

Thanks!

-Mark
  • miacoyne
    I started a 'chant study group/class' and posted an announcement in the church bulletin (a couple of weeks), of course with a permission from the pastor. I started with 4 people. After a few month of the classes, the pastor aksed whether we could sing for some Masses. And the music director was glad we are doning it. She is too busy with 'other kind' of music.
  • Yes, I found that a chant workshop is the best way to start. If someone doesn't know whether they would like it, they only have a few hours to commit where they might not want to commit to a standing rehearsal schedule. It's already hard enough to find regular choir members willing to offer an hour a week, especially if they are men.
  • mjballoumjballou
    How do you start a schola? It's like eating an elephant - one bite at a time. My schola came out of a priest's request for a couple of chants at a 7 a.m. Mass on a feast day. I started with three singers, including myself. While no church around me was interested, I made good connections with a local Marian shrine and offered to sing vespers once a month. The shrine director was looking to raise its profile, so he was welcoming.

While Mike is right about the ease of assembly and the elegance of the EF vespers, that wouldn't fly in my territory. We do a "hybrid" of English and Latin. I've dealt with the antiphon issue by using the traditional Latin with Englished psalms. Everyone loves the Ave maris stella, so there's no problem there. I went from 3 singers to 5, then to 10, back to 8. I might like a few more, but I'm willing to develop the voices I have right now.

We rehearse weekly for about 1-1/2 hours. The monthly vespers gives the group a focus. As our reputation has gotten around, we've been asked to other Masses and special services. As great as your living room may be, singers do want to share what they've learned.

I did a workshop, but didn't pick up any singers. However, a blurb in the local paper brought me four.

The keys to success are letting people know you're out there and keeping it going. People's lives open up space for them to join you - maybe not this month, so it's important to persevere. Anyway, one of the nice things about chant is that it's not a numbers game.
  • miacoyne
    "it's important to persevere. Anyway, one of the nice things about chant is that it's not a numbers game."

I totally agree. More chanters are good, but I stopped worrying about the number. It doesn't matter to me. I do my best, and all the angels and saints also sing with me and my schola.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Exactly right, Mia! It's not our job to be perfect, but to help the worshipers to understand that God is.

Getting schola members is not a paint-by-numbers exercise. Go where the energy is, and have LOTS of discussions with people in every context you can think of. Talk to parish musicians. Talk to anybody who's more interested in church tradition. Talk to old people, and to young people. If you find a few people somewhere, start with that.

People will be attracted when the Holy Spirit moves them, and we know that God's time is not our own. So put it out there, be consistent, be welcoming, and trust God for the rest.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Mark, I sent you an e-mail, let me know if you didn't get it.