Gregorian Fonts, Chabanel, Cecilia Fonts, Reader Poll
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear friends,

First of all, let me tell you that this Cecilia free Gregorian font is OUT OF THIS WORLD !! FREE GREGORIAN FONTS
    . . . so easy to use, so fast! I hate learning new computer programs, but I literally was making fonts in NO TIME ! After years of not knowing how, I was making Gregorian fonts in like 3 minutes!!! There is a PDF that literally tells you how to do everything. Very clear. Truly wonderful.

Re: Chabanel. I would really appreciate some input:

On this page, you can see that I provide the congregation with both modern & Gregorian notation.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

3rd Sunday of ADVENT

http://chabanelpsalms.org/CHABANEL_PSALM_TOME_mp3/7141_CRY_OUT.mp3" target="_blank">Here's the PsalmORGANIST scoreVOCALIST score

GREGORIAN for CongregationMODERN for Congregation

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

I am considering only providing the Gregorian (for the Congregation) from now on. Any thoughts? THANKS!!
  • Carl DCarl D
    If you're running out of time to produce both versions, I suppose an alternative would be to let others transcribe it for you, and post it on the site when they mail you the PDF. Some folks are reluctant to throw chant notation at their congregations - the last time I did an insert in our hymnal I did it all in modern notation, even though I personally find it harder to sing to.
  • It is the standard notation for chant, it takes much less space and ink than modern notation. People who do not read music won't be offended, those who do should be challenged by it in a positive way.

Square notes rule.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Jeff O., what word processor or layout program are you using with Caeciliae? (You're a Mac user too, right?) Fr. Spencer explained to me that he uses Adobe Creative Suite, which supports Caeciliae completely; I don't have that, but have managed to make it work somewhat well — somewhat! — with TextEdit.

Also, how do you get the text underneath the square notes? I don't recall the accompanying PDF explaining that… I'm guessing it's just another line of text, in whatever font you choose.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Carl, Noel, and everyone: We don't provide weekly programs at my parish, but I do create a "Kyriale Brevis" which indicates the music for the Ordinary. It's all in square notes. I would concur with what Noel said above; plus, as I've seen Jeff T. mention here before, just the look of it communicates that it's something special, something different than other music.

I'm attaching samples here. (The "January 2010" and "OT early 2010" ones are still in development, somewhat.) Please note that they're printed back-to-back, then cut in half, so that each "brevis" sheet is half the size of a standard piece of paper.

And the current "Advent 2009" brevis sheet has a little catechetical (?) information in it, too. ;)
  • Amazingly enough, after years of sporting subpar typography it looks like Microsoft Word 2010 will provide respectable OpenType support (including ligatures and contextual alternates) which will make it possible to use Caeciliae directly from Microsoft Word. At least on a PC. :-P The Microsoft Office 2010 beta is open to the public, in case you want to play around with Caeciliae w/o Adobe products on a PC.
  • BTW, Jeff, I'm a big fan of the Chabanel Psalms and would be thrilled to see them available in square note notation. Perhaps I can share with you some InDesign styles (if you're using InDesign) that might make setting the chant that much easier...? Let me know: matthew@osjoseph.org
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Fr. Matthew,

Is it best to use APPLE PAGES, InDESIGN, or PHOTOSHOP with Cecilia Fonts ?

I'm currently using Apple Pages
  • Wow, Jeff, never thought of trying Appel Pages...I use InDesign, but will try this now.

Fr. Matthew, I'm as big a fan, I hope, of your work with Caeciliae.
  • I haven't used Apple Pages, so I can't really comment on that. I know that MacOS' implementation of OpenType is pretty good, but it's missing some features that make it a little easier to use Caeciliae. (For example, I'm told that writing "7ph" won't automatically place the horizontal episema automatically at the punctum's height. But this can be fixed by an extra keystroke: "7p7h" will manually place the episema at the correct height.)

The big advantage that InDesign has over Photoshop is that you can create more sophisticated styles for setting your chant. For example, you can create a style with tabs set that will automatically create drop caps, finish the chant lines at the same widths, etc. I use Photoshop for some basic settings, but InDesign for anything with more than two lines.

I've been hoping some word processors would come out that would support OpenType fully (and thus Caeciliae), but no such luck. Sigh.

Noel: kudos for the shoutout!
  • music123
    Jeff,

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but as some one who is finishing up one music director position and getting ready to go to another, I would be a bit skittish about giving either of these congregations "square notes." I have made copious use of the Chabanel Psalms at the parish where I've been, and actually, they are the closest thing to actual chant I've been able to work into the mass on a regular basis (my kind and holy pastor jokingly started calling me a "Latinist schismatic" when I prevailed upon him to at least do a Gregorian chant ordinary during Advent.)

I'm planning on using Chabanel at the parish where I'm going, and I feel like I could work them in much more quickly if it were done stealthily. I'm afraid square notes would scare people off. My fears may be completely unfounded, but since I'm not going into a "traditional" environment, I almost feel like I'm "in the closet." It seems to me that if you're trying to reach people who aren't yet immersed in the chant world (which is, what, 95% of American Catholics?), it would be good to have modern notation as an option.

By the way, thank you so much for all you've done with Chabanel. My pastor (the same one who joked with me) one day blurted out during a liturgy committee meeting, "You know, now we actually sing the Psalms! We don't just sing a song that's kind of like the Psalms; we actually sing the Psalms!" At that point, I figured the experiment of switching from the Broadway-ish Haugen and Company versions had been a success, and you made it possible! (I also have had a lady tell me that the music has gotten a lot more "Catholic" since I've been on board. You can't get a better compliment than that, I guess!)
  • CharlesW
    I jokingly refer to square notes as the domain of chant nuts, elitists, and academics. However, I realize many others use them, too. That said, I would no more give square notes to my congregation than I would ask them to abandon electricity and go back to oil lamps. School music programs teach modern notation, and that's what most of my people are familiar with. Keep the ancient notation for the music scholars. I can think of no faster way to make those psalms useless to exactly the churches that need to get away from Haugen/Haas.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thank you so much for the input, my friends !!!!

THIS will be the format I use from now on.

You can see I include BOTH Gregorian and Modern.

AUDIO from the Vigil of Christmas
  • Carl DCarl D
    Fantastic, Jeff. The best part about this is that you readily incorporate multiple composers, so that I can pick whichever composition seems to fit our schola and parish the best.

By the way, I've tried to use Caeciliae but I always get hung up on how to line up the syllables with the notes. So I keep going back to Gregoire - it can have its challenges, but at least they're ones that I'm comfortable with.

Carl
  • Carl, I enter the words then space the neumes on entry to get around that problem, if that helps any.
  • music123
    Very nice. Thanks again!
  • I would love to know how many people in our congregations are actually sight reading the music from modern notation, or even know the basics of reading music. My guess is that most of us that can far overestimate the number of people who are actually singing from the modern notation. Perhaps more can discern relative pitch changes ("go up" or "go down") and maybe the occassional rhythm indication, but I honestly wonder...

With only a basic introduction, relative pitch change and some rhythm clues can be just as easily seen in square note notation (actually even easier, since with one less staff line it is easier to notice pitch changes).

But what I find even more convincing for the use of square notes is how it does so much less damage to the text than modern notation does. Just look at Jeff's latest example above with both standard and square note notation (http://noelchabanel.org/psalms/ABC_12_24_Xmas_Vigil/). The square notes leave the text with all the syllables connected, while modern notation requires much more syllabification and underline spans for the same music! It is just easier to see and read the words of the text in square note notation than in modern notation.
  • The square notes leave the text with all the syllables connected, while modern notation requires much more syllabification and underline spans for the same music! It is just easier to see and read the words of the text in square note notation than in modern notation.

Hear, hear!

Maybe I can talk The Liturgical Press into letting me use square note notation for the next edition of By Flowing Waters, not to mention a Spanish edition of the Graduale Simplex.
  • Currently for our printed orders of worship (double-sided 17x11 trifolds), I'm using modern notation for everything in Latin and English — a practice that I inherited — but using square notes for the English-language Responsorial Psalm antiphon (my settings for Chabanel). When we move to singing the Gloria (currently the John Lee Congregational Mass setting, which people sang very well for Immaculate Conception) and Credo — in either English or Latin, yet to be determined (if it's determined to be English, we may hold off efforts till the new translation) — the likelihood of using square notation for more or perhaps all of the music becomes that much greater, if for nothing more than economizing space.

I echo Fr. Spencer's comments about overestimating the sight-reading abilities of most; I wager that most people at the parishes I serve sing by ear, which is completely fine by me.

(I repeat myself from another thread, but those that attended Mass at my new parishes during my first weekend heard in my introductory remarks that some of the decisions I will make may very well "infuriate" them — my words — but I did ask them to be patient and believe in good faith that I do these things in service to God and them. Not that this will eliminate any objections, but hopefully it will have served to minimize them in number and rancor. We shall see. There will be those that will always find something about which to complain — if it is about music or unreadable notation, I'm prepared for it.)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks, Noel, I'll give that a try. With the different spacing options between neums, that may just do the trick!
  • CharlesW
    I read square notes with no problems. However, I still find them annoying and archaic.
  • music123
    I actually had a non-musician friend tell me once that she could read Gregorian notation easier than the modern. But she went to a "traditional" parish where people were used to seeing it. Square notes seem a bit foreign to a lot of people in more "average" parishes (heck, they still seem a bit foreign to me), so it is nice to have a more familiar-looking option to use as least as a transition. Put it this way: at my new music director position, I think I could use the psalms in modern notation pretty soon, while I feel like I would have to ask permission from the pastor to use the neumes. I wouldn't mind asking permission down the road, but it would be really nice to not have to do that at first.
  • Carl, using the - and = with the placement of the p just to the lower left of them as well as the smaller space provided by ' makes it easy to do this!

And it runs nicely under Pages on the MAC as well, never thought about trying it, Jeff.

The vertical spacing of lines is easy under Text on the Inspector. Pages is a LOT easier and faster than Indesign.
  • CharlesW
    I have been in my current position since 2001, and have moved the music in a more traditional direction. We do some chant. We also do some of the incredibly beautiful music that has been written in modern notation since the heyday of chant. I don't see us ever going to all chant and nothing else, so the modern notation is going to stay.
  • I think that square notes in By Flowing Waters would be a tremendous improvement...there is a negative psychological element in singing chant in English to modern notation. Mary Mezzo in firm in her belief that chanting is different than singing and for a long time I silently disagreed in my mind, but now realize that she is correct. It has to do with emoting. So many of the sings appearing in the pulp misallettes are composed to trigger the emotions, using intervals that, when combined with words act as triggers.

Willi Apel states very clearly that though there are some examples of chant where the melody does appear to be interacting in this manner with the words, but that this is negated when the same melodies reappear, reused with different words.

Singing chant in English from modern notation can slide into singing english like people have, badly, from the pulp missalettes.

Singing chant in English from square notes is a constant reminder that this is chant, it is different, and emoting is....bad.

Charles finds it annoying...it's a constant reminder to him that this is not the notation that he prefers and this is good...if it was not set aside for chruch use and looked and sounded just like modern notation, what would be the use.

People who really love chant love square notes, it's part of the package. Charles has stated before that if there is an AGO convention and a chant collegium he's not going to the collegium. What's great about this grous that no one has maligned him for this...and I am not about to either.
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I probably enjoy chant as much as many other folks. But it is not the only church music. What I don't love is archaeologism. Didn't we get enough of that from Vatican II? I find it no more appealing in music than in liturgy, or cars, or anything else. Keep the best from the past, just don't try to live in it. It may not have been as great as many think it was. Organic development is good.

BTW, enjoy the collegium and tell me the good things from it when you return. I am an organist, not a professional singer. One choir rehearsal per week is about all I can stand.
  • francis
    Charles

I understand your point about square note notation. However in teaching it to amateurs it is easier than modern and more natural to read. I kind of see it as music set to words instead of words set to music if you understand what I mean.
  • CharlesW
    I do understand. The public and private school children in my area learn to read notes and their relationships to each other. How much of that stays with them is anyone's guess. I find that even when adults are probably not reading the actual notes, they do pick up what they hear rather easily. Either system could work in that circumstance. But for those who can read modern notation, neumes can be frustrating. I've heard the argument, "Oh don't try to transpose neumes into modern notation, just sing them." Easier said than done. It's like reading Russian words - rather easy in when our familiar alphabet is used, extremely difficult when those words are written in unfamiliar Cyrillic. Do I think neumes are worth trying to beat into the head of a congregation unfamiliar with them? No, I don't. There are more important battles to fight at the moment.
  • Chant only succeeds in parishes where the musical leadership is behind it, so if notation is an issue, it might be better off to sometimes just do some very simple chant during Lent and Advent leaving moving the parish back to worshiping in liturgy with the music that is the preferred music of the church for someone off in the future.

Congregations are like light bulbs...how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? One. But it has to really want to be changed.

Chant and Bach are definitely archeological forms, and both can be brought back to life, but it takes someone who really, really wants to perform CPR on the listeners and get them listening instead of responding from the gut stance of "we have never heard it and for that reason we sure as heck will not like it."
  • Notating Chant in Finale:
    Price $600 - $350 for Theological Use

Open new file.
    Specify time signature.
    Major or Minor
    Choose Staffs
    Choral
    Remove Alto
    Remove Tenor
    Remove Bass
    Remove Piano
    Set Document options to hide Stems
    Set Measure to tick
    Set HIDE TIME SIGNATURE
    Count notes in first measure
    Set time signature for first measure.
    Count notes in second measure
    Set time signature for second measure.
    and so on for each measure.

Then begin to enter notes..
    [some other actions have been left out to make this sound simpler than it is.]

Notating Chant in Ceacelia:
    Price: None

Open Document
    Type Clef line number
    space
    Enter first neueme and all following neumes with spaces in between as needed.
    Insert measure bars and custos at end of line

Easy to type in, easy to read and understand.

People...it is the FOUNDATION OF ALL MODERN MUSIC NOTATION...unchanged for hundreds of years. It's like Latin, a DEAD language and very simple and specific.
  • francis
    So Charles, as you can surmise by chant afficianados, archaic form has nothing to do with pertinence to the present moment. Let's take beer or wine for instance. Do I refuse to drink it just because it is an archaic form? (much older than chant, btw...) no, I take full advantage of it's perfected state over time! Well, chant is much more highly developed and perfected than modern music.

If you really start drinking the good stuff then the cheap stuff will be noticeably inferior once you start to get the taste for it. ...if you catch my drift.
  • It is rather telling that in The English Hymnal of 1960 edited by Ralph Vaughan Williams offers plainsong with modern notation of the melody and accompaniment below and that for every square note of the melody below is what we in the US call a half-note the half-notes that are part neume groupings are beamed throughout.

Rather off-putting at first, like reading chant after knowing modern notations, after a bit one realizes that this is an attempt to preserve the value of grouping to the syllable and an early realization that modern notation fails miserably at notating chant in a precise manner.

If modern notation were preferable to square notes, no one would be using square notes. Is every one aware that the Old Order Amish church services are in German and the singing is very, very slow chant melody throughout? WIKI : "Older Amish hymns are monophonic, without meter, featuring drawn-out tones and slowly-articulated ornamentation."

This raises the question...how many have had the glorious experience this last year in being at Mass lit only by candles?
  • CharlesW
    I have nothing against chant, I just don't want to use it to the exclusion of everything else. As for it being the preferred music of the church, I'll believe it when the church starts enforcing it. Oh sure, certain documents on music get quoted over and over again, but it would be difficult to prove those documents have much standing today. I would agree it is the preference of most on this forum, but this forum tends to attract a rather anachronistic group to begin with. I use chant, more heavily at certain times of the year. The schola uses it more often, and the choir less often. But I have no intention of throwing out sacred and reverent music that has been composed since chant. It's not "cheap stuff" and is every bit as good as what was composed before it. Now if you really want cheap stuff, go to Gather Reprehensive. It's full of it. Some of the arguments for chant are just another form of archaeologism. If we could just get back to that pure sound, in that pure time, using those pure organs, and that pure liturgy.... I'm afraid none of that purity ever really existed, and the music at any given time was a point on the timeline of organic development. But again, I like and use chant. I don't go to extremes with it and wear out its welcome. It doesn't appeal to every modern ear.
  • CharlesW
    To go a bit further, there is a fine gentleman who posts here whose name I won't mention. He's also very talented. He essentially lost his job because of too much chant and polyphony that his congregation wasn't ready for. The Catholic world is not necessarily hungering after chant. Perhaps in some places, but not in many others. I will take things slowly even if it takes years.
  • francis
    Charles

Our parish most likely does less chant than yours but that doesn't change the ideal for every and any parish. ...all things being equal, that is.
  • Actually, the gentleman's job was ended not due to any complaints from the congregation about chant, polyphony or anything at all. An amazing turnaround came about as people who hated and wrote hate mail found they loved the solemnity and beauty of Catholic music in a Catholic church.

There have been stories floating around about that firing. Without going into details, the congregation and choir were quite happy with the mix of hymns, chant and polyphony, and all music was presented to and approved by the Pastor. All congregation complaints were heard over the three years and written instructions by the pastor concerning these complaints were heard, accepted and put into effect without discussion and with complete acceptance by the gentleman in question. In fact, when money ran out, the gentleman actually worked almost a year without pay under even more restrictions which banned Latin at Mass outside of the Sanctus and Agnus Dei...and during that time there was never Latin at the Mass aside from the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. It's important to be a team player.

The Dedication of the Church program did have Latin psalms and music mixed with English, but the gentleman in question carefully presented all of this information for approval by the Pastor and Bishop in their planning meeting and he was quite pleasantly surprised that all of it received approval by the Bishop at the meeting.

You may have all noticed that diocesan newspapers rarely, if ever, mention unrest, problems and dissent within parishes. It's sort of a high-road approach for there are definitely two sides to every issue. The gentleman in question will definitely state that his choice of music and leadership of the music was not an issue for the congregation. He has chosen not to go public with the details behind the firing for life is too short and there is no reason to close doors when, with time and perseverance, sometimes they may be reopened.

Within 24 hours he was approached about another very responsible position within the diocese by another priest who was in full knowledge of the situation, which was encouraging to him.

The only public statement made by anyone was by a cantor, it has been said, who announced to the choir that the music was going to return to being congregation-friendly with the gentleman gone.

One must, at all times, be supportive and submissive to the Pastor. The gentleman was and continues to be so.

Gregorian Chant is the music of the church and when you walk into a church and hear chant you know you are in a Catholic Church. For some reason that's so logical that people who do not have a burning desire to do chant seem somewhat out of place in a Catholic church. Sorry, but that's how I feel. I know that that is no secret. However, I remain amazed at the poor excuse for music that exists in almost all Catholic churches.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Many of us might wish to be in a position to worry about neumes vs. stemless notation. For the congregation, I would actually prefer refrains that didn't require any notation but were easily "grabbed" aurally by those who wanted to sing the response.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    "Coolness" may come into play here, as well, no?

For myself, I really think the Gregorian version looks "cooler":

Fr. Nicolas Viel version with GREGORIAN and MODERN notation Congregational inserts

;-)
  • Hello Everyone,

I just downloaded Caecilia. The fonts are great but I have a problem: I am using it with Adobe Pagemaker. When I type a number, I can see the small dotted line, and it goes to the right line, but then when I type a d, for the key, or a p for the punctum, whatever number I put before, keys and neums are always on the same line. The signs do not follow the indication of the dotted line. Help me, please. Pierre
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Pierre,

I would be glad to try and help, but let me ask: do you have Apple Pages?

Or Adobe Illustrator?
  • just FYI, this is Fr. Pierre Paul, director of choirs at St. Peter's, Rome. I believe that he is on a windows system.
  • Jeff, thank you. You already helped me. I was using Adobe Pagemaker. But your question suggested me to use Illustrator. I had it, but not installed. After installation, the program Caecilia works fine.
    I still need to understand how to put the text under the neums, but I will get there.
    Fr. Pierre

PS Jeffrey is right. I am using Windows XP.
  • Fr. Pierre--welcome to the forum!

I still need to understand how to put the text under the neums, but I will get there.

Easy--just change to a text font on the line underneath your neumes and type in your text. I think that a standard font ratio will be 33pt (chant) : 12pt (text). Caeciliae 33pt = Meinrad 48pt.
  • Fr. Pierre, if you have InDesign, I can share the styles I use to lay out chant using Caeciliae. It makes it easier to do large initial letters, text with the chant lines, etc. matthew@osjoseph.org
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Wonderful to hear, Fr. Pierre!

Yes, I feel that Adobe Illustrator works exceptionally well for Caecilia ••• however, Illustrator can be a bit frustrating at first, I assume because it's so powerful. If you look at the "layers" window and click next to the little circle, Father, a green box appears, which means you're currently editing that layer --- this was very helpful to me, when I finally learned it! I hate when I accidentally click the wrong layer to edit.

P.S.

My wife and I enjoyed hearing Vespers in St. Peter's Basilica in November! The booklets were STUNNING! . . . And the people sang Gregorian chant! They sang really well !! (in alternatim with the choir)
  • Fr, Matthew, I do not have InDesign. I have to look into this. It would be very helpful. I need to put "in music" the text of the Orationes for Lauds and Vespers, and also the reading for Lauds, and the Introduction to the Intercessions for each Sunday and Feast. I will try to download InDesign and let you know. Thanks.
  • Jeff,
    you are very kind. I am happy that someone "came and see... and prayed" with us. You are right. I was amazed also in the recent months to see how the congregation sings. Since the beginning, we always gave a hand, singing with the Congregation. But now, we can just alternate. I will reprint all the booklets we have for the Vespers to ajust them with the Antiphonale Romanum ad Vesperas... as soon as it will be out. Thank you again for your good words.
  • Adam, I tried what you suggested for the size of fonts. The proportion is very good. Thanks.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Father Pierre, thank you for all you are doing!
  • Welcome, Fr. Pierre. It is a joy to have contact with you. Thank you for your good work.
  • Just downloaded this and realized that it won't fly with MS Word. Festa Dies does a good job in that respect.