A Tale of Simple English Propers
  • WJA
    So, it's 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, Holy Family, and the cell phone rings. Father says the organist can't make it to the 8:30 a.m. Mass and can I and any of my schola handle the music.

"But of course! Think nothing of it. See you in a bit, Father."

Then I hasten to my computer, point my browser to chantcafe.com, scroll down to the post where Adam Bartlett has uploaded the simple English propers for Holy Family, download the pdf, and print three copies. Then it's out the door at 8:10, in the church doors at 8:20 and up to the choir loft.

At 8:25 two schola members run up stairs; my wife snagged them in the narthex and told them to ascend to the choir loft, post haste.

We learn the introit at 8:27, the offertory at 8:29, and the communion -- very quietly -- during the homily. Ordinary is Missa jubilate Deo, which everyone knows, and we recycle Puer Natus in Bethlehem, which we'd sung on Christmas Eve, for an extra communion.

We sang them well, not as well as we could have had we had a full practice and some time to breathe, but well. It was as lovely and liturgical a Holy Family as one could have asked, all thanks to the Simple English Propers project. Thank you, Mr. Bartlett and all who labor with you!
  • wow that is so cool. Reality! This is good good good, a good sign.
  • Kathy
    This story makes me wish there was a "like" button.
  • I used Adam's settings for Christmas Day Introit and Communio. Do you still like me?
  • IanWIanW
    Exactly, Kathy!

I really liked the duck's-feet-paddling-under-the-water-while-all-above-is-serene thing. We've all been there, and Adam's work is another weapon in the armoury!
  • I am giving a Chant workshop in February in California and have already decided to bring, distribute and talk up Adam's Simple English Propers. These propers are so very user friendly and approachable, not to mention musical and lovely!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey M., I think your idea is excellent. I sang some of Adam's Propers for Advent about a month ago, and they are still in my head. This is really making me think that these are excellent music that will stand the test of time.

I'm sure they will be well-received. Perhaps you can let us know more details about your chant workshop as it draws near. Who knows? Perhaps some readers of this forum will attend.
  • Jeff, do you think there is a case for recording them as Adam makes them?

Seems like that would help people and we could get a jump on the marketing this way.
  • This is such an incredible vignette, and it reminds me a lot of how my own parish program has been running on several occasions in the past few years! I really think that it is fear of these disaster situations that keep people from reaching out of their comfort zone. If we can give everyone a sure way to know that they can effectively sing propers every week, with success, then I think the goal of Simple Propers will have been achieved. These stories are affirmation that we have found a solution to a substantial problem!

@JT and JO - As great as pushing out recordings now sounds, I still want to discourage it, only because you wouldn't believe how many changes I have been going back and making even after publishing weekly versions online. The clay is still too wet on this project. I promise you there will come a day, and it is not too far off, when I will step back and say "it's done", but I just can't do this yet. So videos might be useful to a certain practical degree now, but I fear that they would be useless and even create unneeded confusion after the book is completed. Sorry to say this. We're working as hard as we can!
  • Jeffrey O- I have already been pushing your good work at Corpus Christi Watershed and will continue- such an incredible resource! As for the Chant workshop, I have been invited by a pastor of a parish in the central valley of California, I will share details, if you think there is interest, as it develops.
  • Jeffrey M, by central valley, do you mean Fresno Diocese?
    Thanked by 1Fr. Keyes
  • Jeffrey, this is Jeffrey. What is your sense of Jeffrey's idea and how do you think it fits with Jeffrey's proposal, and do you think that Jeffrey is on the right track with his interpretation of Jeffrey's thoughts?
  • @Charles in CenCA- Stockton Diocese in February, Fresno diocese in late spring/summer.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    @Jeffrey M.: thank you for your support. I feel like we have a good beginning, but (of course) we still have a long way to go . . .

@Jeffrey T.: on this, see Dr. Peter Jeffery . . . :-)
  • Jeffrey ><, <--(bow tie in ASCII)<br />Yes. ;-)

Jeffrey
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Jeffrey, that was quick.
  • Paging Father Keyes.....Father Jeffrey Keyes......
    Thanked by 1Fr. Keyes
  • Option * on a mac gives you >•< though it seems a bit more formal when it is ≥•≤ for some reason.
  • |>•<|
  • That's too cool!
  • miacoyne
    This morning, for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, we sang Introit (in English) instead of a 'hymn.' (I hope people understand what I mean by 'hymn' here.) Although it's not a Holyday of obligation, the church was full. In this parish people are used to spoken Entrance and Communion antiphones in daily Mass, so many people know what they are, but singing the Introit was a historical event in this parish. The celebrant was very happy that he can solemly process without carrying the hymnal and lead us to the Holy of Holies.

It was amazing!!! You can say I'm wrong, but I truly sensed that the silence in the church channel people to LISTEN to the Word, the text of the Proper in a beautiful music. It was a beautiful moment.

The schola sang Veni Creator before the Mass (Plenary indulgence) and Te Deum after the Mass (we invited people whoever wants to stay after the recessional hymn, Hail Holy Queen. I made copies of texts and music on the back of handouts of the Mass. Amazingly, since it was first time, there were some people actually stayed for Te Deum.( I know indulgence for Te Deum was yesterday, but the schola wanted to sing it anyway. It was a tough one to learn.), and the celebrant joined us in singing it.
    After the Mass a lady came and told us that she was from out of town but was so glad that she came. She said it was absolutely beautiful. It wasn't just a polite thank you, which is also nice to hear, but I can tell she was glowing with joy. I'm sure there were people who didn't like the way it was done, although I didn't hear any, but as we know we cannot satisfy everyone. Our schola was very very happy, and the priest and people told us it was beautiful. But most of all, I pray that it pleased God the most, because I believe what pleases God the most truly sanctifies us the most. After I started to sing Gregorian chant, that's what I learned. The more we focus on God, not on us, in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, even a small sacrifice like conforming our taste to what the Church desires the most for the Church's liturgy, helps us to remember the sacrifice of our Lord on the cross which was offered in obedience to the Father with humility. We still have lots of difficulties and take small steps, but this is the goal of our schola and share that experience with others around us.
    Happy New year to you all.