Fr. Ruff : Behind the scenes on 'Sing to the Lord' and Tradition
  • Following is an excerpt of what Fr. Anthony Ruff presented at a public workshop at the Southwestern Liturgical Conference. It was in answer to a question asked about the authoritative nature of the recent document, 'Sing to the Lord'. I found it fascinating, and was interested in your comments.

"Yea, uh first off, it was not sent to Rome, and the Vatican never rejected it. Nope, nope… never happened. Uh, what did happen is the final draft, Monsignor Moroney and I went to meet with an official in the Holy See because the plan at that point was, after the Bishops approve it, they will send it to Rome so that Rome gives its Recognitio and it will all become particular law in the United States. When we met with the official I will tell you what he said about it. It's quite amazing that the US is the one Church that stands out for its attention to all of this. He said, "Ya know", well, he didn't want to name names, "but said you wouldn't see this coming from other parts of the Catholic world." And he said, "We in Rome look with such great respect at how alive the US Church is."

Then when the US Bishops did their final preparing of the final draft, uh, the committee of Bishops before it would go to the whole body, they said, "Ya know what? Some of this will contradict particular law in other documents. For example it says here that "everyone should stand for the hymn after communion if it befits the hymn". But in the General Instruction we weren't thinking about a hymn after communion and you remember the hulabaloo we went through on the posture for communion. So we would have to redo that." And then they came up with other cases like that. And then they all said, "Ya know what, let's just leave it a document of the US Bishops. Let's not go there. Let's not reapprove all our previous documents." So they didn't.

Now you can read on the web, "well I'm not surprised that they didn't dare send it to Rome because they knew that they would have got taken to the wood shed because the liberal establishment is still in charge, they're still hi-jacking the whole church, they're still not obedient to the Holy Father. So they didn't even dare to submit it.

Well, ya know, it's all made up. Ya know, I was there; I heard what the Vatican official said. He had no criticisms of it, but he didn't say we would reserve the right when we finally examine it. So he didn't promise that the whole thing will be approved. But he said, "I only have praise for what I see right here".

The other thing is, ah, we have to remember that every Bishop is the Vicar of Christ in his diocese. Sometimes we have the impression that only the Pope is and it's only Catholic if he approves it. Ah, the Pope has a unique role in teaching and in approving as does the Vatican. But throughout most of our tradition, uh, there was no Vatican office to take care of all of this stuff.

The Vatican office for liturgy didn't exist until the sixteenth century. The Pope only began appointing all the Bishops of the world in the nineteenth century. As late as 1850 the vast majority of Bishops were elected by their own clergy. So we sometimes have this impression that its only Catholic if the Vatican has approved all of it. And we have to remind ourselves, that's not our tradition. What we have now is what we have now. Now the Pope does appoint every Bishop, but that's a very recent oddity. Now the Pope does issue encyclicals. He never did such a thing until the 18 hun…, uh seventeen hundreds.

The first encyclical where a Pope issued a teaching document for the whole world was the 18th century. Popes never issued comprehensive teaching documents for the whole world before then.

So, and I, ya know, I… I'm not saying that the Pope isn't important, I hope you don't hearing me saying that. But I am saying that it's a real distortion to think that only the central authority approves it to make it Catholic. I think Bishops have a role in their own country.

Then, Oh, I have to, oh… (mature?) the most important part will now be done in a minute and forty-five seconds, because I want to say the ultimate criterion of all of this is not which document, which model, which paradigm, which theology but Jesus Christ. He participated in his traditional Jewish ritual tradition, but he also critiqued it. He critiqued the legalism, he critiqued the formalism of it, he believed that organized religion can be (aphorist?) that misses the whole point. So he was basically a prophet who, ah, pretty strongly critiqued the religious hierarchy of his day. He was a man of prayer; he wasn't just, ya know, a secular hippie doing justice and not worrying about all that churchy stuff. He would spend a whole night in prayer. He was, ya know, I sort of like to think of him, as, kind of a radical prophet and a monk at the same time, but that's a biased way of looking at it. So, if that image doesn't work for you, I understand.

Ah, as I said before, he was inclusive beyond all of the accepted social norms of, ya know, women and children and people from other religious traditions. He didn't preach the Church. He preached the Kingdom of God. He said really next to nothing about this is what the Church should be like and these are the structures of it. Instead he said, "You know the kingdom of God is like a man who went out to sow."

So if we're overly focused on church documents we've missed the point if we don't use those documents to understand 'what is this kingdom of God like?' This kingdom of God where the values of this world are turned upside down. This kingdom of God where… the… the mighty are cast down from their thrones… the rich go away empty handed, but the poor are now included. That's what he was interested in is the kingdom, and not, let's just set up organized religion with lots of rules. And, he offered himself completely to the Father. This is what the Sacrifice of the Mass is about, that we, in Christ, completely offer ourself to the Father.

So, we want to draw from every document, from every model, but realize that the purpose of all of them is that so that we can live in Christ. OK? Thank you."
  • However, if everything were in the up and up, why not send it to Rome for recognitio? Fr. Ruff lost all credibility with me when he started complaining about the revised translation without offering verifiable sources to back his claims. All he could offer was some anonymous posting from WikiSpooks.

Furthermore, Sing to the Lord is only binding when it quotes the documents of the Holy See.
  • Fr. Ruff is also way-off base in Jesus' critique of Jewish tradition. Jesus never criticized the authentic liturgical sacrificial rituals of Ancient Israel. These cultic rites were laid down by no less than God the Father, Himself, as a means of foreshadowing His Son as the True High Priest and True Sacrifice. God is not going to contradict Himself.

What Jesus criticized was the fact that the Pharisees had adopted priestly practices and were forcing these on the people (such as ritual purification of people and things).
  • My other critique is why he won't name names. Sure, while the Holy See has great respect for the Church in America,that is not to say that we are not without our problems. Furthermore, which version did this "Vatican official" see and what finally came out?
  • francis
    It all seems very secretive.

The part that bothers me is that our Bishops feel Rome is not needed to approve what we write, and worse, that we would have the arrogance to think we can write things that contradict preceeding documents. Wow.
  • Does this segue into the open letter written by Fr. Ruff to the USCCB that appeared in a recent issue of America magazine?
  • The part that bothers me is that what we're given to consider is an excerpt.
    'Nuff said.
  • However, Charles, it seems to be consistent with Fr. Ruff's recent attitude.
  • BG. "seems" is not beyond a reasonable doubt to convict. And, to be sure, we are called even to a higher standard than the courts of this world. What difference can there be between an excerpt provided by "Xavier Rindfleisch" or "TruthBeTold" as long as the excerpt is proffered under the cloak of anonymity? Anonymity doesn't preclude the possibility of truth, but before that is considered as the object, one has to allow that "agenda" might be the real intent being disguised. I am loathe to claim AWR as disobedient because of either an excerpt or an attitude. He is an ordained priest. That is an uncontested reality.
    Should the content of his full address be reproduced and verified as authentic, and the sentiment of the remarks prove contextually consistent with the excerpt, then I would hope Fr. Ruff take advantage of his welcome here to respond.
    Again, 'nuff said.
  • francis
    who is Xavier Rindfleisch
  • However, Charles, being an ordained priest is not a guarantee that the cleric will not be a disobedient one. Something as important as "leaks" pertaining to the Roman Missal should have verifiable sources. The quote that the OP posted is certainly consistent with Fr. Ruff's recent blog entries. As far as I am concerned, Fr. Ruff has lost a great deal of credibility with me.
  • Liam
    Charles is correct.

Effort that is wasted on trying to deconstruct Fr Ruff on this board is of the same value as the effort wasted on progressive boards to deconstruct Fr Z. Fortunately, the progressive boards have not wasted too much time on that.
  • But, Fr. Ruff, by his own words, is bringing a lot of this upon himself. Fr. Ruff seems to be wanting to stir up things. I challenged him to provide qualified proof. I contacted the USCCB about Fr. Ruff's allegations and Fr. Kilgartner expressed perplexion at what Fr. Ruff was doing. This makes me wonder what Fr. Ruff's real intent is. A lot of Fr. Ruff's supporters on Pray Tell also signed that infamous dissenting petition "What if We Just Said Wait."
  • No one is trying to deconstruct Fr. Ruff here. This was a public workshop at a liturgy conference and the content clarifies the standing authority, or lack thereof, of STL, as he was one of the people who either helped create it or was on the inside track while it was formulated.

Anyone can download a recording of his entire presentation. Just search the SWLC workshop recordings. I recommend you do so Charles in CenCa and listen for yourself. His presentation on the next day he announced about withdrawing from supporting the new translation.
  • And TBT, I want you to know that I don't condemn your transcription or doubt its authenticity. I've had my interactions with Fr. Ruff and we're not on the same page, to be sure. But his efforts to assist with the setting of the revised texts speak for themselves as representative of a noble heart. And that he has made public his inner turmoil over issues that must traffic in the realm of justice, it isn't right for the rest of us to sit in judgment.
    Over at PT I personally made it clear that beyond that turmoil, the question remains "What ought we to do?" in his/PT wisdom and opinion. We cannot remain inert, or content to merely dispute one another. We must move on. And it is my fervent prayer and hope that Fr. Ruff moves on in peace with the Lord and His Church. Thanks, TBT.
  • I don't know Father Ruff at all. All I know is what he said to a workshop full of people, the content above of which is a very accurate transcription, and somewhat puzzling.

It is God who will judge him, me and you in the end. And God will hold each of us responsible if we do not warn those who lead others astray, no matter who they be, priest or even Pope. (You know... little ones, scandal, millstone and thrown into the sea sort of stuff.) I fear for my own soul as much as my brother's.
  • We are very much in agreement, TBT.
  • Kathy
    I don't want to deconstruct Fr. Ruff, as if he were some sort of Lego man. But I sincerely want to deconstruct his message, which I think is ecclesially harmful.

In this piece, he misleads on at least two points. First, Jesus was not antinomian, and he was very interested in building a unified Church. He didn't pray, on the night He was betrayed, that the Father would make them strong-minded individual Churches. He prayed that the Father would make them one.

Secondly, the tension in these liturgical matters is not the Pope vis-a-vis the individual bishops, which is an ecclesially fascinating tension which has yet to be fully revealed as the Church moves forward in time. The last two Councils have worked hard to tease out the unity of Pope and bishops, and yet the full implications of this shared responsibility remain hidden in mystery to some degree. The current issues, however, are not about that. They are about the tension between bishops' conferences and the bishops--both the bishop of Rome and the diocesan ordinaries.
  • Kathy
    I would add a caveat: I don't think the somewhat rambling nature of this discourse should be mischaracterized as incoherent. Public speech, especially in a Q and A, is different from writing.
  • On another angle, I would urge caution and skepticism in evaluating the importance of insider knowledge, leaks, etc.

I won't go into detail, but to illustrate my point I will say that I worked fairly closely with an attendee of the USCCB meetings in reviewing SttL, someone who has strong connections in the Curia. And the insider info he shared with me about SttL not going for recognitio, how the bishops' vote and last-minute editing went down, etc., does not square with Fr. Ruff's version.

I do not entirely disbelieve Fr. Ruff's account at all, though. It's important to remember that the 'inside scoop' is as varied as the number of people involved in something like SttL. So just because one person or a group of people leak info, it doesn't necessarily mean much in the big picture. That's all. In fact, this kind of tale-telling can work much like plain old gossip if people take it as
    authoritative and complete Truth.

Oh, and another thing. Lest we get distracted from serving and loving Christ and His Church, keeping a humble perspective on our own role seems vital. That was clear to me by the fact that the
    original draft of SttL was maybe 1/15th of the documents my friend had on his desk. Documents for one bishops' meeting in one bishops' conference. What we do matters, but so does a lot in a
    family of 1 billion folks. SttL isn't a blip on the radar screen for the vast majority of those 1 billion souls. Just sayin'.
  • francis
    MCW

Your message is kind of cryptic and unclear. Not sure the point you are driving at here.
  • Kathy
    I thought your message was precise and clear, MaryAnn. What part wasn't clear, Francis?
  • DougS
    Well said, MaryAnn!
  • Francis, pardon my long-windedness. :)
    In a nutshell-
    If our focus is on knowing, loving, and serving Christ, it's good to remember a few things when evaluating insider knowledge, lIeaks, etc., so as to avoid distraction.
    1) Insider knowledge on something like SttL is as varied as the number of people involved, so there's no point in investing too much in any one revealed side of the story.
    2) As musicians, our freedom and dignity in this work ultimately comes from Christ, and can be diminished when we lose perspective of our role within the needs of an immense body of other folks. SttL is a small- not unimportant- thing in a very large Church.
  • francis
    MCW

Thanks for clarifying! Good points.