Diocese of Oakland California Cathedral Pipe Organ
  • eft94530eft94530
    The Diocese of Oakland California
    Diocesan Newspaper (Catholic Voice) has an article about the pipe organ to be installed in the new cathedral.
    http://www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/08-04-21/inthisissue4.htm

The Diocese of Oakland Cathedral website
    http://www.ctlcathedral.org/
  • francis
    That is one progressive looking sanctuary. The organ builder, on the other hand, seems to build mostly trackers. What an odd match!
  • CharlesW
    I have come to the conclusion we live in odd times, so I am not surprised by the odd match. It seems many modern church buildings are angular and sterile enough to delight the heart of a hardened Calvinist. As an organist, I have never understood the "tracker thing" either. There is a new organ in town that takes 3 people to play, sounds so harsh I can't even stand to listen to it, and is only capable of being played in certain keys. It's strictly a personal opinion, of course, but I have decided that both Vatican II and the organ reform movement marked the time when the inmates took over their respective asylums. It must have been a 1960s thing.
  • francis
    Hi Charles:

It will be interesting to see what they do with this. They can't possibly put a tracker in there. In fact, the article says its going to be an electropneumatic if I am not mistaken.

The beauty in a tracker is the expression that the artist can achieve with the attack (or slow attack) of notes. If you want to think of it this way, it is somewhat akin to having a piano action on a pipe organ. With a tracker action, key depth and velocity become critical artistic elements in creating fine nuances in dynamics and expression. With an electronic organ, the key has only two states: off or on. And where does one determine the 'switch' point in this kind of scenario? Half way down? All the way down? It is just of matter of mush to me. With a quick attack to the keys on a tracker, you get a distinct release of air through the pipes and a different affect in the chiff. It is simply a wonderful thing! I have played many trackers including the great Flentrops.

There are wonderful electronic organs, though they are few and far between. I simply love the Lively-Fulcher at the Franciscan Monastery in DC. I discovered that gem during the CMAA Colloquium of 2005. After the Colloquium had ended, I managed to sit and play it for a couple of hours. Wow!

Historically speaking, there was never anything BUT a tracker until electricity appeared on the scene. So the electronic pipe organ is a new beast. With a computer, I am sure one could simulate the mechanical action effect, but I don't think any builder has thought about that ...yet.
  • Lawrence
    "I have decided that both Vatican II and the organ reform movement marked the time when the inmates took over their respective asylums. It must have been a 1960s thing."

It seems to me that these two seemingly odd bedfellows are brought together by one crucial thing: historicism, whether real (in the case of the organ) or imagined (in the case of the liturgy).

That being said, I like trackers, but I also like electric action organs, symphonic organs, etc. But not electronic organ substitutes.
  • CharlesW
    I was a teenager in the 1960s and seem to remember that craziness abounded nearly everywhere. I saw perfectly good organs thrown out and replaced with shrieking instruments in beautiful casework, often based on incorrect ideas of how early European instruments might have sounded. Having never caught the tracker bug, I prefer modern electric consoles with all the amenities that go with them. I have played trackers, but have generally disliked them for one reason or another. You are quite correct about the electronic organs, although I do have one in my home. It's not a substitute for a pipe organ, but does make a convenient practice instrument. As for the liturgy, I still own a 1965 English missal which contains the English version of the mass actually promulgated by Vatican II. It wasn't bad at all, except for turning the altar around. That was my only real objection to it. It amazes me the number of people I encounter who actually think the Novus Ordo of Paul VI is the mass of Vatican II. It isn't. Most of the general liturgical abuse I remember seemed to appear after the Novus Ordo came into being. I used to think that the ony way to understand the 60s was to have lived through them. I now think there is no understanding the 60s, period.
  • Lawrence
    Charles offers an important caveat about organ building in those times. Indeed, many instruments which were built to sound "Baroque" actually just sound ugly. One wonders if these builders ever bothered to go listen to a Silbermann. So, my assertion that historicism in terms of organbuilding is "real" needs to be tempered by the fact that so many of these projects were grossly mishandled.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Tracker versus electropneumatic. . .

Hmmm. . . .

How many of us still drive a horse 'n buggy? How many of us have to go to a small shack at the corner of our property to deal with the realities of digestion? How many of us watch television by candlelight?

Let me be clear, I love playing tracker instruments. I also love the big symphonic electropneumatic beasts, and I understand and appreciate the beauty and the nuances of tracker instruments.

That said, I for one don't find anything particularly exclusive or virtuous of one over the other when it comes to mechanical action versus electropneumatic. There are really horrifically awful tracker organs that have been installed in churches; organs that can't possibly fulfill the many requirements placed upon them. There are some equally horrid examples of electrified instruments that can't stand up to the task either. I'm reminded, for example, of the Cliquot replica instrument, complete with "marche pied" pedalboard, installed in the rear gallery of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Grand Rapids, Michigan back in the '80's. Now, having been Episcopalian, and being familiar with the enormous treasury of Anglican hymnody and choral repertoire as well as the primarily Victorian and Edwardian period liturgical music commonly used, one must ask, out loud: What in the name of heavenly glory were those people thinking?!? To install a French Classic style instrument in an Episcopal Church and expect it to serve as the primary instrument for worship was insensitive and impractical, and it saddled the congregation with an expensive instrument that was impossible to use effectively. Meanwhile, a large romantic/symphonic instrument at the front of the church was permitted to go to rack and ruin. Since then, the church has sold the tracker (beautifully built, I might add, by Bedient) to an appropriate institutional venue: North Texas State University (I think I'm remembering correctly), exactly where it belongs, that is in a setting devoted to scholarship, not novelty.

On the other hand, there are fantastic electropneumatic instruments found in places like Westminster and Liverpool Cathedrals (Catholic foundations) and equally beautiful trackers like the famous Cavaille-Coll at St. Sulpice in Paris. I would not, however, go out on a limb and suggest that one possesses greater virtue over the other.

This debate, not unlike the tiresome one that rears its head from time to time regarding the appropriateness of the organ music of Bach in the Catholic liturgy, is one that will go on and on, as long as there are people willing to revisit it over and over again.
  • francis
    O... sorry. I didn't know that this was a previous debate. Please point me to the original debate... I would like to read it (and maybe chime in)!

Here's my take.

Organs are just like people. No two are alike. In fact, if you could find twins, they would still be radically different once you got to know them. I have had a few three manual pneumatic Casavants in my various posts over the years (triplets?) They were OK. I don't care for the mushiness of romantic EP's. They were always too tubby and unresponsive for my taste. Just a personal preference. Exception: the Lively-Fulcher in the Franciscan Monastery was by far the best EP I have ever played. I was dully impressed! Bach is just as clear as the romantics on that thing.

As for trackers, I have only played one tracker I did not "like" in my lifetime. (But I would have given my left small toe to have it my living room nonetheless) It was a Reiger in my own home town. It was far to brightly voiced. But that was just a matter of voicing which can be easily remedied with air pressure and regulation.

DA: I am sorry you have had bad experiences with trackers.

Building a tracker is one thing, building a tracker for the acoustic for which it is intended is entirely another. You cannot separate the two. In fact, you cannot separate the two for ANY kind of instrument; piano, organ, or orchestra, tracker or EP. One can have the most beautifully built instrument in the world. But put it in a bad space and it becomes a bad instrument. There is no getting around that!

While we are debating this, I might as well chime in on my real estate clause: location, location, location! IMVHO, you cannot put an organ, especially a baroque (or higher pressure air instrument) on an altar. You can get away with this if you have a romantic instrument with lots of reverberation and/or mid to high frequency dissipation, but an organ belongs up in the air (in a building with fine architecture.) This is why the very small churches of old were built like mini-cathedrals. Architects and acousticians understood the theory back then. Today, we have 'the environment of worship'. I won't even touch that one.

Organs are made to be in one place. High ceiling, loft in the back (or on the side) and the organ in it.

OK. I guess I have stirred up the organ bees nest now! I am ruuuuuuuunning for the hills!
    Sorry, folks (especially Francis), didn't mean to throw fat on the fire.

Francis, this particular subject hasn't been discussed previously on this forum, to my knowledge. I was just aluding to the fact that this subject, just like the Bach organ music subject, is one that I hear opinions on frequently.

I've had very good experiences with tracker instruments, many of them fine examples of the organ builder's craft. My point was that, putting building technology and techniques aside, there's good and bad in both the older and newer technologies, and I get a bit miffed with the "tracker backers" who go to great lengths to not just defend mechanical action instruments, but who tar every EP instrument and builder with a huge brush, indiscriminately.
  • francis
    No apology needed, especially from you, DA! However, I know just what you are getting at! "Please, not another camp!"

Have no fear. Of all the musicians in the world, Francis Koerber will never join any 'camp' 'cept the one that Jesus and Mary are running from heaven! Everything else down here is going to dissolve into eternity in a matter of time, and then I am off to play the great and mighty pipe organ in the sky!

FK
  • francis
    Michael:

This is very interesting to hear about the trackers being ugly. Which ones did you happen upon that were so terrible?
  • richardUKrichardUK
    For my money, the stunning mechanical-action organ by Paul Fritts & Co, at St Joseph's RC Cathedral, Columbus, OH, is a beautiful example of what can be achieved. Would anyone call this organ ugly in appearance? I've heard it in a number of recordings and it sounds as beautiful as it looks. The key action is only a very small part of the story of an amazing instrument that does justice to pretty much all of the organ repertoire of the Church, and which has the luxury of great acoustics. It takes the right builder to get these things absolutely right. The same standards can be achieved with smaller instruments as long as they are are well thought-out.

http://www.frittsorgan.com/opus025.htm
  • francis
    Richard:

Wow! You have surfaced my childhood memories. I used to sing there frequently as I was part of the Immaculate Conception boys choir of Columbus, Ohio under the direction of Thomas Sullivan, Choirmaster (graduate of Princeton). I am familiar with the Fritts and have heard great things about them. One of my organ professors had played the Fritts back in the 80's (not sure which Opus) and raved about it. I have never had the pleasure of playing one myself.

This one was installed in 1994 in Notre Dame, Indiana. What a beautiful instrument.

http://www.frittsorgan.com/nd-ii.jpg
  • musico48
    Most of the organs I heard or played were built by CASAVANT FRERES from Quebec. These organs were of the electro pneumatic symphonic style, Very gentle sounds for chant and hym-singing. The tracker organs are ideal for Bach Organ concerts. They are too harsh and overpowering for chanting and choral Mass accompaniments.
  • francis
    musico:

Yes, of course you have much more subtelty with a romantic organ (string stops), but a tracker's 8' flute makes for wonderful accomps in a good acoustic. And depending upon the voicing of the organ, sometimes you can even add the 4' flute if it is not too loud, don't you think?
  • CharlesW
    I have played some 19th century American trackers that produced some really lovely sounds. However, I tend to get annoyed with the mechanism of trackers. It all seems to me like giving up my car and going back to a horse and buggy. Granted with gas prices, the horse may have some advantages, but I am not anachronistic enough to value early transportation over modern. The same is true with organs. Most of the trackers I have played had flat pedalboards - not good for those of us who are short of leg. My biggest tracker complaint has been that I was too close to the organ to hear what the congregation was actually hearing. With some of today's trackers, I can't understood putting essentially North German Lutheran style instruments in Catholic and Anglican churches where they don't fit the music.
  • francis
    I think we are reaching DA's point of no return (mentioned above)... lol. Perhaps you would like to hear one of my latest organ works instead?
    Oooo, Francis! You've written some solo organ music? I'm intrigued!

CharlesW, you've hit the nail on the head in my book. I've played some really colorful and beautiful "early American" tracker organs with rich and woolly foundations, flutes and strings, smooth reeds and gentle mixtures. All too often modern trackers are built along Germanic lines with thin foundations, brittle mixtures and buzzy reeds which are, IMHO, great for playing the works of Bach, but not too well suited to accompany chant or traditional hymnody.

(It's just my opinion, folks. I've no doubt that there are many modern trackers built in the German style that are quite fine.)
  • francis
    DA:

I assumed you knew about my website (www.RomanCatholicSacredMusic.com) which has numerous comps including organ works which is noted on this forum somewhere.

This one is a couple of months old or so. All of my works are composed for a live acoustic. (preferably a... TRACKER! ...lol... just kidding... they would work on a romantic too.)

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/tocindmin.html

This one I composed and premiered at my Junior recital in 1981.

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/fantasyInAmin.html

This one is about six months old or so.

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/seehear/tocFugAmin.html
  • BruceL
    I hate to make my first post on this great board one on the divisive issue of organs (or at least it seemed divisive in the last few issues of Adoremus!), but...

I really think now in the organbuilding world, funds allowing, the tracker is the best bet. If the organ is in the gallery, then the action can be well-designed (read: light!) and there are fewer compromises. Also, I would argue that the standards of workmanship and craftsmanship of tracker builders are much higher nowadays. Just look at organs by Taylor and Boody (http://www.taylorandboody.com/home.htm) or maybe even the new Noack in LaCrosse (http://www.noackorgan.com/instruments/opus/opus_150.html) and you can see the wonderful visual aspects (in addition to the actual musical qualities).

Now, one might say that "these are both pretty hard-line, Baroque builders". Not so; the realities of the economy (fewer contracts) and taste (lots of people want trackers, but with a more "romantic" or even "Cavaille-Coll" sound) mean that most tracker builders have broadened their horizons tonally, etc. In addition, a neo-classic or romantic stoplist does not a good organ make; it's all in the actual voicing, design, etc., not stop names. I know of a lot of trackers that, despite the stopknobs making it look like a pretty poor service playing instrument, impress with their flexibility and also the musical qualities of individual stops (as someone noted, 8' foundations, etc.) I haven't heard an instrument built recently by an American tracker builder that has anything other than a clear, vocal tone.

Also, there aren't any perishable parts in trackers, so there is no need for releathering (saves $$$) every 30 years. Actions need adjusting some, but even most pipes are cone-tuned, so if you can tune the reeds yourself (not that hard), there isn't a need for an expensive tuning contract. So, barring the initial high outlay, it is a better deal for a tracker. And, you are, with the right builder, getting a veritable work-of-art, rather than something someone in a factory turned out, not really caring where it is going or what it will do.

Now, having thoroughly dissed electric and e/p action instruments, let me say that some of my favorite instruments (Aeolian at Duke Chapel, any late 1920's Skinner) are not trackers. Especially if there is an awkward church layout, they are sometimes absolutely necessary. From my experience, though, there is one important aspect to getting a really good e/p instrument for your church: you have to "ride herd" on the builder. Along with the consultant, the church needs to be very specific about what it wants, how it should sound, the level of workmanship, etc. If that is done, things will be fine. Also, some friends of mine have had good luck with Casavant and Letourneau in this area, without having to make "interventions" regarding the quality of work. Just something to think about...

I do understand the gripes some of you have with trackers; I am graduating from the University of Texas-Austin this spring, and our big Visser tracker (4man/90rks) plays like a truck because the builder will only build balanced (rather than suspended) action. It took me about a year to get used to, and is still my big knock on the instrument. In any case, I'm sorry for this looooong epistle, but just thought I would contribute.
    Bruce,

Welcome aboard! For the most part, our debates about things like this end up being truly harmless fun. Yes, we've got our opinions, but we also know that the opinions expressed here come from solid experience and education. I have yet to read a truly uncharitable, thoughtless or demeaning post at this forum. (Though we've had some real zingers, let me tell you!)

I know from experience the beauty of Fritz Noack's work. His organs are really quite beautiful, and his reed voicing is amazingly sensitive. John Brombaugh also built some wonderful instruments.

(I guess my previous diatribes gave the impression that I had not patience, tolerance or desire for tracker instruments. Not true! I include A.B. Felgemaker, Garrett House, Hook & Hastings, even a Toledo-based builder, D.F. Pilzecker among my favorites. These are all excellent builders of tracker instruments, many of then found in Catholic churches!)
  • francis
    Welcome, Bruce.

Gotta love the Noack. Did you play the Flentrop at Duke? What an Opus!
    Francis,

My experience with Flentrop organs was at the Oberlin Conservatory, where there's a large 3-manual in the Warner Concert Hall. Believe it or don't, students played everything from Scheidt to Franck and even Reger and the Reubke 94th Psalm on it!
  • francis
    DA: Wow, do I miss playing trackers. I have access to a small Jardine about a mile from my house but it is in disrepair now. It's in a chapel in a Catholic girls school where I was the organist and choir director at one time. It is very similar to this one:

http://home.comcast.net/~stjohnriverdale/organ.jpg

The OHS did a restoration on it back in 1990 when I was there, but it has been neglected over the years.
  • CharlesW
    I am just going to have to leave you tracker fans to your own devices. I wouldn't trade my warm and fuzzy 1953 Schantz for any of them. It's 55 years old, and the old girl is still going strong. Of course, I should receive the love and care that organ gets! If any organist did anything to it, the congregation would probably hang him.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Back on topic.
    I have been waiting for the cathedral organ specification to appear on the organ builder website.
    The info is now available here:
    http://www.letourneauorgans.com/default.aspx?lang=EN-CA&p=/pages/upcomingProjects/the-cathedral-of-christ-the-light.aspx
  • francis
    eft

Are you near this bad boy?
  • Downloaded from the Cathedral's website and music news.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Google maps says 8 miles.
    Might as well be thousands due to my own bench demands.
  • francis
    ?

You can't get there to play it?
  • eft94530eft94530
    Despite the short distance,
    I have a full schedule of weekday office tasks, weekend music tasks, variable volunteer tasks.

I have been at the Cathedral three times:
    May 2008 for a brief tour (during which a brass quintet was rehearsing);
    Nov 2008 for a shoe-horned Saturday morning Deanery Mass, at which I accompanied two choirs
    on a temporary console controlling the Choir and Echo Choir pipework
    (installed liturgical north at ground level behind the choir seating
    in shaded chambers hidden by a grey burlap screen);
    May 2009 for a Confirmation (see Forum Discussion 266).

Perhaps I will hear it during one of the Dedication Concerts (see Forum Discussion 2696).
  • francis
    wow, eft. you gotta get out and get some fresh air... then again, i know exactly what you mean. i am pretty much tied to the church campus here myself... i am hoping to get down to cheyenne to play the visser-roland and to cathedral of the madelein to play concerts when i get the opp. ;-}

http://elliottrl.tripod.com/utahpipes/madelein.html
  • eft94530eft94530
    FYI, you can see, during the Cathedral Provost video, the Choir and Echo Choir "screen" I was talking about ...
    http://www.ctlcathedral.org/resources/video_display1.shtml
    More than half way through the video, after the description of the cathedra,
    is the description of the ambo. In that scene background, below the shelf,
    between a white lightswitch plate and very dark exit tunnel is the "screen".

The rest of the instrument has been installed in the last few months
    on the two shelves, left and right of the altar, above the choir and cathedra.