Memorial Acclamation in the OF?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    This is a "chant 101" sort of question. I've been as diligent as I think I can be here, so far, in trying to search for an answer:

What chant "options" are there for the Memorial Acclamation in the OF, and where do I find them? Note that I'm assuming a largely spoken Mass, not sung.

There is a "Chant Mass" setting (actually the Jubilate Deo Mass/"Missa Mundi," by and large) in my parish's OCP missalette. For the Post Consecrationem, there's the "mysterium fídei" (priest) and then "mortem tuam annuntiámus," and the Graduale Romanum is credited below.

With my limited Latin, I've been trying to wade through and find this in my PDF of the GR, but to no avail. And the only other "option" I know of is this Simple English Mass setting with Memorial Acclamation A.

Thanks.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    The official one, IIRC, is Mortem tuam annuntiamus from the Graduale Romanum--it's on page 810--although I remember seeing the Latin versions of the other two (Salvator mundi, salva nos and Quotiescumque manducamus), set to more or less the same melody, somewhere I can't quite place at the moment.
  • athome
    Both the Sacramentary and By Flowing Waters contain chant based English settings of all four acclamations.
  • Felipe Gasper
    athome,

NB: There are three acclamations in the Missale Romanum, not four. “Christ has died...” is not in the original Latin and (I believe?) may be removed in the new translation.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Mark M.

You might consider these four settings:

Modal Memorial Acclamations

More will continue to be added.

In Christ,
    JMO
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    A belated "thank you," everybody, for your responses, and thank you, too, Jeff O., for referring me to your very fine settings.

Another "101" sort of question here -- I wish there was a discussion category for that, and this doesn't seem to warrant its own thread -- what do the words "Orbis factor" mean?
  • Jevoro
    world (orbis)- maker (creator) (factor)? next to the Kyrie this words mean the beginning of the pros(ul)e (? trope! see below) of this Kyrie.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hello, Mark M.

Awesome that we could help a bit !!

"Orbis Factor" are the first words of the most common TROPE used for that Kyrie.

In the middle ages, they troped everything: Gloria's, Agnus Dei's, Alleluia's, even the READINGS (although not many realize this these days).

Nowadays, Vatican II has reinstated tropes at the Kyrie in the OF, and the American Bishops also seem to allow the Agnus Dei to be troped.

A famous & wonderful recording of Kyrie II ("fons bonitatis") with the tropes being sung can be found here.

If you scroll down, you can listen to a sample (it is number 5 on the CD)
  • Jscola30
    another place you can find the other Latin acclamations is in some of the WLP materials, I know definitely the new people's mass book.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Very interesting, all… thanks again.
  • Jevoro
    to Chris Allen

Did you find the Latin versions of the other two memorial acclamations? (Salvator mundi, salva nos and Quotiescumque manducamus)?
  • Michael O'Connor
    The Adoremus hymnal has the simple chant for the Memorial Acclamation in latin and english.
  • Jevoro
    Just "Mortem tuam..."? (Graduale romanum 1974 p.810)
  • incantuincantu
    A warning about the Adoremus hymnal's memorial acclamation: there is a misprint in either the chant notation or the five-line notation (accompaniment version). I believe the latter is correct, ending la do re do la sol la. I spent all of Lent teaching from the chant notation only to discover that the version we were singing was incorrect. I used "Lord by your cross..." from BFW for the Easter season, just long enough for the congregation to "forget" the mistake. We're now singing the corrected version for ordinary time.
  • Michael O'Connor
    incantu, thanks a million. We are rehearsing for an english NO on Friday. I'll fix it then. It will be, fortunately, the first rehearsal with our organist! (his part is correct, the chant misprints a TI instead of LA 3rd pitch from end)
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Another "101" question here, on the same topic: For the OF, are there any guidelines as to which Memorial Acclamation (A, B, C, or D) we are to sing for a given Mass? Or is pretty much "musician's choice"?