Feedback requested! - Psalm 128 (For use at Weddings) - New (and 1st) Fauxbourdon Setting
  • Bombarde16
    Hello!

I have really been smitten by other's fauxbourdon settings of various psalms (Sam Schmitt, Theodore Marier, etc.). I tried my hand at composing a fauxbourdon setting for the wedding of a very close and dear friend.

While I'm overall happy with this, I desire to get better at this style of writing.

Any and all constructive criticism and feedback will be much appreciated!

P.S. The Antiphon is based on the first phrase of the Ave Maris Stella (one of the couple's favorite hymns.) I forgot to give credit for that on the front page...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Off the top of my head, I would make the last measure a quarter note on F, a quarter note on E, and then half note on F. This eliminates the need for the eighth note which is a bit odd. Also, stepwise motion is good for this type of chant.

You might consider doing that in the first part also. Notation coming soon.
  • Bombarde,

Thank you for posting this.

Just one comment, quickly, for now. "Olive" has its accent on the 1st syllable, but you put it squarely on the second.
  • francis
    here are my suggestions. This deals with oddities in the melody and also puts accents on the down beats.

PS... looked up your website... the KU organ and concert hall is absolutely stunning... is that your post?
    Thanked by 1Bombarde16
  • Bombarde16
    francis... no, I am a student, finishing my Master's Degree at KU. I am the Director of Sacred Music and Organist at St. Peter Catholic Church in Jefferson City, MO. https://www.saintpeterjc.org/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Bombarde16
    Here is an edited version.... I don't know why I'm attached to the dotted-quarter, eighth rhythms, but I am...

Thoughts on this version?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you again.

I hear a b-flat in the second to last bar of the fauxbourdon, but there's none written. It could be in the alto or tenor part.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Nice! For what it's worth, New Grove proposes a taxonomy of Faburden, Falso bordone, and Faulx bourdon, while admitting that historically terminology hasn't been used consistently. I recently posted the same Psalm for 3vv. in quatrocento-style first inversion triads.

Btw, editing the subject to include "Ps. 128" and/or "wedding Psalm" might be useful to future readers.
    Thanked by 1Bombarde16
  • CGM
    I had a number of small suggestions, which you are free to incorporate or dismiss as you see fit. Nice work overall!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • Bombarde16
    CGM, thank you so much for that. This helps so much!
  • CGM
    Nicholas, glad that the suggestions may be helpful.

I decided to take a stab at the fauxbourdon, too:

— In the first system, I found the tritone-->P4 outer-voice motion (m.2 into m.3) to be a little problematic, so I offer three alternatives.

— In the second system, I found the iii on the downbeat of the second measure a little deceptive-cadence-y, but too early in the phrase for that to work (to my ear); also, the bass non-motion from C (at end of m.2) to C (downbeat of m.3) was unsatisfying. This time, four alternate renderings.

As ever, feel free to incorporate or dismiss as your judgment dictates. Perhaps these mini-chorales will inspire some creative solutions as you continue to refine the piece. I hope that the final version of the psalm (whatever it may be) brings you great satisfaction!

Thanked by 1Bombarde16