Septuagesimatide Options
  • francis
    My friend asked me this... do you have suggestions?

At Septuagesimatide I had the choir sing 7 verses of psalms during the procession at the beginning of Mass, so I could avoid playing the organ

We're coming up on November (month of the Holy Souls) and Advent (when organ is reduced).

I had the idea that during November the choir should chant parts of psalms (supplementary music at the Offertory) for the poor souls at the Offertory. During Advent I'm thinking of having the choir sing settings (plural, one per week) of Conditor Alme Siderum at the Offertory, but what would be the right thing to do for the procession?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • FSSPmusic
    There is no requirement to avoid solo organ playing during Septuagesimatide (and I would say it's not even preferable); that prohibition begins only at Ash Wednesday. The offertory De profundis is sung on all four Sundays of November this year. That psalm is already associated with the poor souls. Why not sing the proper offertory verses? The introit may begin as soon as the celebrant approaches the altar or as late as the prayers at the foot of the altar, but it should not be sung as an interlude while he changes vestments after the Asperges. There is a trope, Sanctissimus namque Gregorius, introducing the introit for the first Sunday of Advent, which your friend might consider. Do they have no congregational singing and no vernacular hymns for some reason? If solo organ is customary the rest of the year, total silence during the procession in or out makes for a striking contrast, if your pastor is open to it.
  • There is no requirement to avoid solo organ playing during Septuagesimatide (and I would say it's not even preferable)

Agree 100%. There is something special about the violet with organ that smooths the transition and sets the Great Fast apart even more. And I use it to get in some of the repertoire one always regrets being unable to use during most of Lent.