Note: old job listings copied from the Forum
  • chonakchonak
    Some bad actors have been copying old job notices from our site -- announcements several years old -- and have been posting them on job-hunting websites as if they were brand new openings.

These announcements have been causing job applicants to waste their time; they've been bothering the people currently in those jobs, and -- since they used CMAA's name -- they have been doing something harmful to our reputation.

I have sent e-mail to two web sites to ask them to remove those wrong listings. One of them has already done so; therefore I will leave their name out of this. (And a few hours after I wrote this post, the second site also removed the bad data; thanks to both sites.)

I hope they will clean up the problem, but in the meantime, I do want to let readers know to be careful about such job listings. If you see some job site with numerous announcements copied from the Forum, please let me know at webmaster@musicasacra.com. You can rest assured that we do not repost job notices out to other sites.
  • I’m perpetually baffled by the seemingly infinite number of ways that people go out of their way to wreak havoc.

Not only could this be damaging to the CMAA, it could cause scandal at the affected churches, should the wrong person see it and think they are about to be dismissed, or a parishioner thinks the incumbent is leaving but has hidden it from the congregation. What a pity.

Saint Michæl the Archangel…
  • chonakchonak
    Update: I found some more copies at a third site. They aren't answering their phone for me, and their voicemail box is full. Not a good sign.

A few hours later, a good result: they responded to a request submitted through their web site, and are removing the bad data.

There are also some spurious copies on other sites: JobLeads, Jooble, BeBee, and Google.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm surprised at the level of cooperation I've received from the various sites where these jobs were posted. At present, I'm not able to find any more of these outdated copies, so if anyone knows of any examples, please let me know.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Liam
    I suspect this may be the fruit of automated data harvesting and reposting, more than individualized malefaction. It might be worthwhile embedding dates in a more fixed way.
  • chonakchonak
    Some of the companies I contacted referred to the feeds they get from other companies, so I imagine that they are paying each other for listings to post. That's the malefaction that may be going on: people making money off our outdated job listings, heedless of what inconvenience they were causing.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores