Confirmation Before or After the Sprinkling Rite at the Easter Vigil
  • JT_Fields
    After consulting both the RCIA, the Missal, and various guidelines from different Offices of Worship - I am just absolutely confused as to where the Celebration of Reception goes during the Vigil. The Missal seems to have some sort of procession from the font to the sanctuary, where reception takes place. Then, after that, you do the Renewal of Baptismal Promises and the Renunciation of Sin.

But, looking at the general practice of where I am currently (it is my first year) and thinking back on what's happened before at other places I have worked, many places have Baptism THEN Renewal of Baptismal Promises and Sprinkling Rite THEN Reception THEN to the Liturgy of the Eucharist. This seems to flow a little bit better in my mind, it seems to be a lot of processing to and fro with what the Missal says/implies.

Thoughts?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I have no idea what you mean bij de celebration of reception, but at the Easter Vigil, confirmation is administered directly after baptism. After confirmation follows the renewal of baptismal promises and the sprinkling rite.
  • lmassery
    I get what you mean. It goes baptisms, renewal of baptismal promises by assembly, sprinkling of assembly, then celebration of reception for those who are already baptized, then confirmation, then universal prayer, then liturgy of the Eucharist.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Roman Missal, Easter Vigil, no. 53: "If adults have been baptized, the Bishop or, in his absence, the Priest who has conferred Baptism, should at once administer the Sacrament of Confirmation to them in the sanctuary, as is indicated in the Roman Pontifical or Roman Ritual."

See also the Ceremonial of Bishops, no. 366-367. All is nicely summarized in Peter Elliot, Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year, no. 294.

So the prescribed order is always: Baptism, (Confirmation, if applicable), Renewal of Baptismal Promises with Sprinkling Rite, Universal Prayer, then the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
  • MatthewRoth
    To Steven’s point: there is a note in the official book about the distinctions which suggests that parishes are bad at eliding catechumens and candidates particularly when no one is seeking baptism, only full communion.

See the comment in no. 391, then the rest in the Appendix, which goes out of its way to suggest that while confirming candidates could be appropriate. It doesn’t really give you some ideas about how to do it, as it can be done at other times, and the implication seems to be that you confirm them with those who were just baptized — so these candidates would “renew their baptismal promises” and then hang tight. PDF.

*I should note that there is some form of the Creed beforehand, and the candidates would have to join the catechumens in responding — otherwise you’d have to confirm twice. Which is nonsensical.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Aha, I see. This is an English adaptation of the rite (see also the full appendix, with an outline of the Easter Vigil).
  • PhilipPowell
    I have no idea what you mean bij de celebration of reception, but at the Easter Vigil, confirmation is administered directly after baptism.

“… unless this has already been done together with those to be baptized” (Easter Vigil in the RM no. 55, cf. no. 49). Edit: the comments beforehand resolving this have just loaded and made this point moot.
  • JT_Fields
    It seems like the outline from the English adaptation of the rite is in direct contradiction with what the Roman Missal suggests.

So the prescribed order is always: Baptism, (Confirmation, if applicable), Renewal of Baptismal Promises with Sprinkling Rite, Universal Prayer, then the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

This makes the most sense to me. You would have the rite of reception for the candidates right after baptism and then a renewal of baptismal promises by all, with the sprinkling rite directly preceding the universal prayer and then the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
  • If it helps, Paul Turner points out in Glory in the Cross, "The Missal has never included the Rite of Reception of Baptized Christians into the Full Communion of the Catholic Church. It may be done because the American edition of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults permits it in the combined rite, but it has never been part of the official version of the ceremony." My understanding is that many theologians prefer that the Rite of Reception take place whenever a candidate is ready and not necessarily wait until Easter Vigil.
    Keep in mind one other potential wrinkle in the Baptismal Liturgy. There is an option whereby EVERYONE ("all present") may renew their baptismal promises when the catechumens do (i.e. before the baptisms):
    (MR) 49. Then the Priest questions the adults individually about the faith and, if there are
    children to be baptized, he requests the triple profession of faith from all the parents and
    godparents together, as is indicated in the respective Rites.
    Where many are to be baptized on this night, it is possible to arrange the rite so that,
    immediately after the response of those to be baptized and of the godparents and the
    parents, the Celebrant asks for and receives the renewal of baptismal promises of all
    present.
    (MR) 55. When the Rite of Baptism (and Confirmation) has been completed or, if this has not taken place, after the blessing of water, all stand, holding lighted candles in their hands, and renew the promise of baptismal faith, unless this has already been done together with those to be baptized (cf. no. 49)
  • MatthewRoth
    My understanding is that many theologians prefer that the Rite of Reception take place whenever a candidate is ready and not necessarily wait until Easter Vigil.

I also think that the opposite is true: priests, deacons, and people involved in the parish don't believe this or want to have "something happen" at the vigil. They aren't content to just do the baptismal font rites without a baptism, so they force people to be confirmed in a place where it doesn't make a lot of sense.