Hymn for the Divine Mercy?
  • Bombarde16
    Hello all... I'm very curious if any of you have done any work toward a hymn specifically regarding/about/in praise of the Divine Mercy?

We began a time of prayer today with the hymn Love Divine All Lives Excelling, and it worked. But I would like to use something more appropriate for the Divine Mercy.

Yes, any hymn regarding mercy would do, but I would like to use something more specific if it's possible.

Thanks for input or work (if this inspires you to take up a pen)!

A blessed Divine Mercy Sunday to you all!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CatholicZ09
    If you go back about seven or eight pages or so, there was a discussion about this very thing.

I always promote “The Day of Resurrection” (ELLACOMBE) for this Sunday because the second and third verses speak eloquently about mercy in the context of the Risen Lord:

Our hearts be free from evil that we may see aright
    The Savior, resurrected, in His eternal light,
    And hear His message plainly, delivered calm and clear;
    “Rejoice with Me in triumph, be glad and do not fear!”

His love is everlasting, His mercies never cease.
    The resurrected Savior will all our joys increase.
    He’ll keep us in His favor, supplying holy grace
    To all His pilgrim people who seek His heavenly place.
  • Bombarde16
    (Edited for clarity)
    Perhaps I should be more specific...

This hymn would be meant to serve as an opening hymn for a Divine Mercy Chaplet... Not necessarily the Quasimodo Mass...

There is a hymn, almost biographical in nature, from the Anglican church regarding St. Clement. It tells the story of St. Clement honoring the witness he bore.

I'm looking for (or to encourage the writing of) a hymn that succinctly speaks of her vision, as well as the divine Mercy as it was revealed to her.

I'm definitely going to be trying my hand at writing such a hymn after I have fostered more of a Devotion with the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the Divine Mercy in general... Or perhaps someone with more devotion already has the gift of spirit to write such a hymn before me!

Thank you, however, for the suggestion!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m confused insofar as the Mass was not changed at all when JPII added “Divine Mercy Sunday” to the names of the day. There are many legitimate objections, but “he changed the Mass” isn’t one of them, happily.

I understand what kind of hymn that you’re asking about, but we shouldn’t put a gulf that doesn’t exist between Masses of the Sunday with special reference to the devotion and those without.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Bombarde16
    I agree!

All I am trying to say (rather poorly I might add) is that I am looking for a specific hymn, to serve a specific purpose, rather than to just shoe-horn hymns that speak better on other topics, and only make a small pass at the mention of God's Mercy.

This hymn would be intended to be used the same way that the hymn, say for Lauds if the feast of St. Matthew, is used for that day.

That's all I'm looking for and promoting... A hymn for a specific purpose... Nothing else.

(I edited my previous post for clarity, in light of what you stated, Matthew)
  • ViolaViola
    An existing hymn that we have used is Fr. Faber's 'There's a wideness in God's mercy'
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen oldhymns
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Another good one is "Sweet Heart of Jesus, Fount of Love and Mercy." It's in 1912 Westminster (Ampleforth), but I think the one in the Holy Ghost Hymnal was better known. It's also in many other hymnals. St. Gregory's has "Sacred Heart of Jesus, Fount of Love and Mercy" with essentially the same words; but I don't like its melody as well as the others.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Don9of11
  • a_f_hawkins
    Bombarde16 - can I suggest that the answer is no, nothing specific to the feast is possible; just as there is never a day when Kyrie eleison is inappropriate at Mass. As 1 John 4:8 says ... God is love.
    On the other hand there is my persistent failure to respond adequately!
  • Liam
    For devotions, Divine Mercy is a fruit of the Sacred Heart, and Sacred Heart texts abound, which should not be surprising given that specific devotion to the Sacred Heart is centuries-old.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ViolaViola
    An elderly Irish priest known to us is rather scathing scathing about this new feast, pointing out that 'EVERY day is a day of Divine Mercy!'
    And the tune we use for Sweet Heart of Jesus is Fons Amoris; it's in most present-day
    UK hymnals.
  • Magdalene
    I got permission from the Marian Fathers a few years ago to make slight alterations and set some of the text from the Diary (522 to be exact) to some common hymn tunes. I use them for the Feast Day as well as throughout the year.
    I'm having trouble attaching files, so if interested, send me a message and we can maybe figure out a way to share them.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I think the following hymn would be an excellent choice for Divine Mercy. It was composed by a musician in Cleveland, Ohio. The name of the hymn is "In Thy Sacred Heart My Jesus, Hide Thou Me." The composer was Louis Imgrund and you can read about this composer as I featured him in one of my HYMN OF THE MONTH stories.

This is an exceptionally beautiful hymn to the Sacred Heart which expresses love and confidence in Jesus Christ and implores his help, guidance, and protection throughout our lives.
    Thanked by 2oldhymns CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    "Let Thy Bosom be my pillow"

In Thy mercy, loving Savior, hide Thou this hymn from me.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    @ronkrisman

"Let Thy Bosom be my pillow", yes absolutely why not? I'm quite sure the author was reflecting John 13:23. "One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, reclined close to him as they ate." In some translations the same passage reads "Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved." I believe we see this in many artistic representations of the Last Supper.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that Louis Imgrund who composed the tune also wrote the words of this hymn after reflecting on the death of his wife, his stepdaughter, and other personal hardships.

I can't think of a better place to rest my head or my troubles than in the bosom of the Lord.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • ronkrisman
    You misunderstand me. "Bosom" is not the issue; "pillow" is.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    Ah, Piper Laurie as Margaret White ... and "dirty pillows".
  • GerardH
    I asked an AI to write a hymn to your specification. It doesn't quite grasp meter, and it has some... interesting turns of phrase. Here it is.

In shadows deep, a light does shine,
    Divine Mercy, love divine,
    Faustina's visions, pure and clear,
    Mercy's message drawing near.

Blood and water, from His side,
    Mercy's fountain, open wide,
    Jesus' heart, a flame of love,
    Guiding souls to realms above.

Trust in Him, the message true,
    Mercy's arms reach out to you,
    Sinner's souls, in need of grace,
    Find in Him a resting place.

Divine Mercy, gift so dear,
    Faustina's call, all can hear,
    In His love, our souls find rest,
    Divine Mercy, truly blessed.

Mercy's ocean, deep and wide,
    In His arms, we safely bide,
    Eternal love, our souls enlace,
    Divine Mercy's sweet embrace.

Father, Son, and Spirit divine,
    Mercy's grace forever shine,
    In Your love, our praises raise,
    Divine Mercy, endless days.

EDIT: Any tune suggestions?
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    @ronkrisman
    You misunderstand me. "Bosom" is not the issue; "pillow" is.

What could be the issue? There are several references in the Bible for "pillow." For example, in Genesis 28:11, where Jacob takes a stone and uses it to lay his head upon it and falls a sleep. Or perhaps in Mark's Gospel 4:38, when the great storm arose on the lake and Jesus was a sleep in the stern of the boat on a cushion. Depending on your bible translation "pillow" is used.

We all face trials along with various anxieties, and hardships in our lives - did not the Lord say, "come unto me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest?"

The author no doubt reflected on these instances and with beautiful poetic imagery weaved it into the verse. For someone to have such "trust" in the Lord as to lay your head on his bosom as though it were a pillow is a beautiful image.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns