Easter V choral motets
  • Gaudium
    John 15:1-8 (read 5th Sunday of Easter) is one of my favorite passages (true vine/branches; remain in me), and I would love to have a really beautiful choral work to sing at offertory with some of its text (a cappella or with organ). Any suggestions? Or other favorite Easter motets? Thank you!
  • Liam
    Given the many different "Ego sum" (I AM) texts from the Gospel of St John that have been set to music, to help with you search for existing material, it might help to note that the initial clauses of the Latin Communio appear to be a mashup of John 15:1 and John 15:5, beginning: "Ego sum vitis vera et vos palmites".
    Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • Marc Cerisier
    Might I suggest you check the CRCCM Repertoire Project page for Easter 5?

Click here.

Some great options on that page submitted by cathedral musicians. I'm partial to the Pärt myself, but know that not all choirs are up to it.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The Communion Ego sum vitis has a CPDL page; Schütz of course takes the palm, but John Reager's setting which we premiered and are repeating this year has a fine youtube recording. For year C it'll be Mundy again.
    Thanked by 1Gaudium
  • CGM
    Handl wrote a lovely 5-vc. setting (SAATB) of Ego sum vitis vera that we'll be using this year. It's a little tricky, but worth it.

Many years ago I composed a simple SATB setting in English, to be sung at a First Communion Mass (The Lord is the vine and we are the branches).

DM me if you'd like a score of either (or both).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gaudium
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The Handl is a great tip! I've just added it to CPDL; it's ad aequales though, quite a challenge for mixed voices.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Gaudium
    @Marc Cerisier- WOW. How did I not know about the CRCCM repertoire page? This is truly wonderful. Thanks.