The Graduale Simplex in Spanish
  • Paul F. Ford
    Gradual simplex en español: Según lo establecido por el Sacrosanto Concilio Vaticano II en la Constitución sobre la Sagrada Liturgia (Spanish Edition) is now available on Amazon. $30.00. vii + 580 pages. 5 1/4 x 8 x 1 1/2. ISBN 9789564048161 paperback. perfect bound. ©2021 Mario Zelada Orellana

My copy just arrived yesterday and it is gorgeous. I need to study it further, but it could be the answer to many prayers.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Paul F. Ford
    On the Amazon website there is this note: "Aún contiene algunos errores, ya que está en etapa de revisión. Si aún quieres adquirirlo, me ayudarías mucho si aportas al proyecto. El valor del libro es casi al costo."/"It still contains some errors, since it is in the review stage. If you still want to purchase it, it would help me a lot if you contribute to the project. The value of the book is almost at cost."

When you receive your copy, you will want to help in this project.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • ServiamScores
    I’m so glad you’ve pointed this out to us. I don’t need Spanish often, but when I do, I panic because the resources are so scarce. This will definitely find a home on my shelf.
  • ronkrisman
    Which conference of bishops approved this book for liturgical use? (Although I have used texts from the ICEL English translation of the Graduale Simplex on numerous occasions, beginning as far back as 1969, I am not sure that it ever received the requisitre canonical approval of the USCCB [or any other English-speaking conference of bishops].)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Very glad to see this! I’ve been looking forward to its publication and may very well have a use for it up at the Mission San Buenaventura.
  • Marc Cerisier
    To answer the question above, I just got my copy—this is not released by a conference of bishops, nor specifically approved for liturgical use (though I wouldn't see that being a problem, at least here per the GIRM for the US). This is from Chile. The translation of the antiphons, their musical adaptation, and the edition are by Mario Zelada Orellana. The Psalms are from El Libro del Pueblo de Dios, which is listed as being released by the Vatican in 2007.

Even if these couldn't technically count for the "Simplex" choice in the GIRM, I don't see any reason they couldn't be "alius cantus aptus." I've not looked at it in a comprehensive manner thus far, but quickly flipping through it looks very well put together and the chants I've sung through seem very well adapted.

If the editor would be willing, it might be nice to have these texts available for new compositions... sometimes the GS antiphons are shorter than the Missal antiphons... could be a useful resource.

Marc
  • GerardH
    alius cantus aptus doesn't hold for the chants between the readings
  • @ronkrisman,

As I know, it's being used at the Seminary of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Chile, pending of approval by the Chilean Episcopal Conference. The texts used for the Psalms are those in El Libro del Pueblo de Dios (an Argentinian Bible), the South Cone approved edition (the official Spanish text for the Bible in the Vatican website). As for the antiphons, there's no approved set that I know. One option (that I prefer) would be to use the antiphon texts in the Liturgia de las Horas (but Argentina has a new official translation, derived but different to the Chilean, Mexican, Spanish, etc... one). In this case, as @MarcCerisier said above, Zelada has adapted the text of the antiphons himself.

@GerardH, the chants between the readings are approved, since they use an official translation (at least for the South Cone: it's literally from our Lectionary), plus GIMR. Many of the Psalms and Responses come from the Seasonal Appendix of the Lectionary.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw GerardH
  • a_f_hawkins
    Fr Ron - I don't know what would constitute canonical approval. But Ainslie's 1969 simple gradual, which uses the ICEL 1968 antiphons, has a Concordat cum originale, 20 Dec 1968. And the SSG Processional (2012) is Compiled by the SOCIETY OF SAINT GREGORY with the approval of the Department of Christian Life & Worship of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • mapacali
    Hi, I'm Mario Zelada. I'm glad to know that my adaptation of the GS could be a good tool for everyone who's interested in the simple gregorian chant for minor churches.

Now the project is in revision by the Mayor Seminary and by the Benetictine Monastery of Saint Trinity, both in Santiago of Chile.

Also, the project is in revision by the musical director of Archdiocese of the city.

I'm opening to every comment.
  • I don't know how much masses in portuguese are celebrated in USA, but if anyone wants a similar resource in portuguese there is the "projeto gradual simples": https://linktr.ee/gradualsimples

Also, taking into account the similarity of the languages, it is possible that a comparison between the two projects in Spanish and Portuguese could be useful in the revision work of both.

The project in Portuguese, after undergoing the revision that is being carried out with the help of Brazil's main Gregorianist (directly responsible for adapting the chants in the missal of the third edition to Portuguese), will probably be sent for approval by the Brazilian episcopal conference.

It's a project that I started, a friend called Laercio continued and carried it to the end; and two other Gregorianist friends are revisioning and correcting it, André Gaby and Clayton (responsible for the chants in the Brazilian missal).

Não sei quantas missas em português são celebradas nos EUA, mas se alguém quiser um recurso semelhante em português existe o "projeto gradual simples": https://linktr.ee/gradualsimples

Além disso, tendo em conta a semelhança dos idiomas, é possível que uma comparação entre os dois projetos em espanhol e português possa ser útil no trabalho de revisão de ambos.

O projeto em português, após passar pela revisão que está sendo realizada com a ajuda do principal gregorianista do Brasil (responsável direto pela adaptação dos cantos do missal da terceira edição para o português), provavelmente será enviado para aprovação da conferência episcopal brasileira.

É um projeto que eu comecei, um amigo chamado Laércio deu continuidade e levou até o fim; e outros dois amigos gregorianistas estão revisando e corrigindo, André Gaby e Clayton (responsável pelos cantos do missal brasileiro).

• It is also useful for semiology: it is a bilingual edition and Laercio transcribed Saint Gall's notation in the antiphons that we have access to in mss. St. Gall 390-391 Harker antiphonary
  • MatthewRoth
    There are still Lusophone communities in Massachusetts and Rhode Island; I presume that there are some in Miami and perhaps in other large cities. I'm less familiar with more recent immigration to the West Coast; what happened in New England is that Portuguese immigrants anglicized and then Brazilians joined them, but I don't know if that happened in Hawaii and in California.