Cantorae St. Augustine looking for new singers
  • mjballoumjballou
    Yes, it's that time of year again. And I'm searching far and near for new women's voices to join our group based in St. Augustine, Florida. Our ensemble is small but busy. We work hard and enjoy our singing. The repertoire ranges from early chant through 20th century - a mix of Latin, English, Russian, and Greek. Here's the more formal announcement:

Cantorae St. Augustine has openings for new women singers who want to join in the adventure of chant and a cappella sacred music, spanning 1500 years of musical tradition. We rehearse weekly in St. Augustine and perform throughout the year, singing Vespers at the Shrine of La Leche, as well as special events and concerts. No prior experience with Gregorian chant is required, just a voice and personality that blend well in a small energetic group. To learn more, contact the director, Mary Jane Ballou by email at maryjane [at]mjballou.com.
  • gregpgregp
    Good luck, MJ!!!
  • Prayers for your latest recruitment drive, MJ! Love the way the announcement is worded. May I borrow the bit about voices and personalities that blend well?
    How I wish I could be nearer- it'd be great fun to sing under your direction. I know you'd keep my [E] in line. :)
  • mjballoumjballou
    GregP asked about languages.

The reference was less to linguistic content and more to ethnic origin. However, if you're interested, Nancy Takis' website has a variety of Byzantine-based works that include transliteration of the Greek texts. (Useful whether or not you know classical or NT Greek because of changes in pronunciation over the last couple of thousand years.) I've taught a little Church Slavonic by rote. Since Russian choral and chant styles work alright with English, I generally take the expeditious road of translation. Here's the link New Byzantine for the Takis site - and I think you'll enjoy the essay there on the crises of Greek Orthodox sacred music as it seeks to untie itself from "westernization."

While folks with a Mass-oriented schola may have less opportunity for using these works, many are easily accesssible for little concert pieces and help singers embrace the idea that there are other ancient streams of chant flowing alongside Gregorian.

And MaryAnn, you're welcome to borrow all the language you want. Wish we were singing together!
  • Only women's voices? I can sing in falsetto!!

Best of luck, from a Gainesville chanter.

-Mark
  • Mark, you are welcome to come sing in the Schola Cantorum of the Palm Beaches. Our next liturgy is a Missa Cantata for Lent I in Palm Beach Gardens. Interested?

Mike
  • Thanks Michael! I am sending you an e-mail so that we can talk details. I would love to make it happen if our schedules will allow it.