The Processional Texts for Singing the Processional Songs of the Mass
  • Is anyone familiar with "THE PROCESSIONAL Texts for Singing the Processional Songs of the Mass from the Church’s primary sources"? It was compiled by the SOCIETY OF SAINT GREGORY with the approval of the Department of Christian Life & Worship of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. I have attached a copy. It seems quite comprehensive.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, thank you!
  • BenBen
    Excellent!
    Thanked by 1OrganistRob320
  • I had recently come across this also. It indeed is very comprehensive, and seems especially helpful in its inclusion of verse prescriptions for the antiphons of the Roman Missal.

One of the downfalls of this effort, in my estimation, is that there was a failure to implement the methods of translation used in the 3rd ed. of the Roman Missal so that there would be achieved a "seamless" translation of scriptural texts (so far as is possible) between all of these sources. The use of the old ICEL translation of the Graduale Simplex seems unnecessary, and the antiphons of the Graduale do not seem to harmonize well with the translational style of the antiphons of the Missal. In many cases also the antiphons of the Graduale are in fact found in the Missal, just not where you would expect them to be. But in these cases still fresh translations seem to have been made in this collection. So while this is comprehensive, and even admirable, I feel that a more thorough job could have been done in order to meet the demands of Liturgiam Authenticam.
  • Maureen
    But the point is that, once you have the antiphons and the verses in a book, you can always write in the "new translation" next to them. If you don't have bupkis, bupkis is all you've got.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    +1 Maureen!!!
  • @Maureen: Very true. My criticism is rooted in my knowledge that an even better resource is about to hit the market in the Lumen Christi Missal ;)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Both PDF documents (the American Version and the British Version) are included in this article (which NLM ran about a month ago):

“Why aren’t the Propers from the Roman Gradual identical to the Mass Propers printed in the Roman Missal?”

The American version is very interesting, and worth a look.
  • Your post here confuses me, Jeff. "The Processional", prepared by the Society of St. Gregory contains antiphons from three sources: Graduale Romanum, Roman Missal and Graduale Simplex, all in English translation. The "American Version" you cite above is nothing but the antiphons of the Roman Missal in a condensed arrangement.

Did I miss something?
  • Also, Jeff, I have to say that this is some pretty strong and presumptuous language:

"...it seems rather obvious that the Bishops’ Committee simply did not understand why the Missal chants were created in the first place and the specific (and limited) role they were intended to fulfill. Furthermore, the Bishops’ Committee is certainly not the first group to be ignorant of the purpose of the Missal antiphons."

Having had a detailed conversation with the prelate who drafted this adaptation of the 2003 GIRM, I can assure you that he was quite aware of the intention of the Missal antiphons. Please don't be too quick to cast judgment, friend.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hello, Adam!

Regarding your first comment, please read the Preface to the American edition.

Regarding your second comment, please see the Tietze article and the (strong) evidence he presents.

Adam, you cut off the (very important) first part of the sentence, which says: "However, unless someone can provide more documentation . . ."

In other words, anyone who has documentation that contradicts what Tietze has already provided is invited to (please) submit it for examination. Prelates who helped draft the documents are certainly encouraged to weigh in, as well. However, at this time, Tietze's treatment seems definitive.
  • Hi Jeff. I've read both many times, meticulously. I still fail to see any point that you're trying to make, unfortunately. Also, not everything is documented, friend. The Tietze article, which I have relied on for years now, seems to have infuriated many in positions of authority who have no real need to weigh in on anything.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The Tietze article, which I have relied on for years now, seems to have infuriated many in positions of authority who have no real need to weigh in on anything.

I would suggest that we have an obligation to be as accurate as possible when it comes to these matters, relying on documentation & public sources whenever possible. Past problems were partly caused by hearsay and insufficiently researched information.

By the way, if you happen to have documentation for "those in authority being furious" with Tietze, I would be interested to see it.

However, I would humbly suggest that this isn't really the issue here, nor is anybody's ego at stake. The issue is the unfortunate and sad damage done to the Church by a sloppy, inexplicable, and (seemingly) uninformed translation put forward in 2002. A first step toward healing might be an honest look at what happened and (perhaps) for those involved to take responsibility.
  • Gentlemen,
    From the "consumers' corner" of our gallery: is the thrust of your dialogue suggesting that there is something substantive about the validity of these textual issues that would eventuate in consigning the SEP/SCG/BFW/PBG/AG efforts to a house of cards that may not withstand authoritative scrutiny?
    It seems that over a few years' discussions that the intent and purpose of this proper (and the others?) has been vollied back and forth, with the likes of Mahrt refereeing with the proviso, if it's from the GR in Latin, it's all good; if it's vernacular, don't worry, be happy, tie game.
    Would you be so kind as to illustrate the crux of this issue for me?
  • "By the way, if you have documentation for "those in authority being furious" with Tietze, I would be interested to see it."

I find this absolutely hilarious, Jeff! Is every conversation documented? Is every correspondence and decision made by the Church on public file for scrutiny? This is absolute absurdity. We can't forget that the Church is hierarchical and sometimes decisions are made without full explanations, and perhaps for good reason. Even if the "scholars" can't figure it out and, when they try, falsely accuse the legislators of ignorance. Which...might be rather infuriating to some if you think of it this way.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Adam:

OK, I take it from your answer that this is based on a (private) spoken conversation. You had not indicated this fact. I did not think of my question as "hilarious" and "absolute absurdity," but perhaps others see it differently.

Charles:

My article was simply presented as "FYI" information for those interested. The strength of the article comes in the supporting documents I provided.
  • JMO, I re-read your CCW article, Dr. Tietze's article in SM 06, and AB's introduction to the SEP before typing this.
    I'm not sure you answered my question to any discernable depth. As I mentioned, somewhat as an invitational deter to any possible acrimony, Prof. Mahrt has responded to these concerns at the NOLA Chant Intensive, at colloquia etc. (as I understood him) with a felicitous, if somewhat guarded imprimatur that, in practical application, the truly serious confusion surrounding the differences between the GR and GM texts should not inhibit the use of those collections I mentioned earlier, nor of the larger work that your friend abandoned upon realizing the contention.
    So, again, from hopefully both you and AB, for us who are not fortunate as Mahrt and others elsewhere to sing in Latin from the GR weekly, how concerned about this matter of intent versus application should we in the fields be?
  • Charles: While I realize that you asked this question of JMO, I would like to offer my own thoughts here, for what they are worth to you and to others.

While the antiphons of the Roman Missal were undoubtedly intended initially for spoken recitation only (this is easily verifiable), the practice of singing them has ensued to varying degrees in many parts of the world throughout the past 40 years. Compared to most of the texts that were sung in many places, this was the better path to take, especially since there were no vernacular translations of the texts of the Roman Gradual given by the authority of the Church.

In 2003 the USCCB made an adaptation to GIRM 48 and 87 which was within their competency (Cf. GIRM 390). The wording of this adaptation was confusing, and fortunately was rectified in the 2010 translation of the GIRM which is now in effect.

This adaptation, approved by Rome, is PARTICULAR LAW for the diocese of the United States. Our "first option" for the source of the chants of the Entrance, Offertory and Communion is the Roman Missal OR the Graduale Romanum. Particular law trumps universal law in this case, as is confirmed by any canonist.

So while I am personally a strong advocate of the use of the Graduale texts (Cf. Simple English Propers, among other things), one cannot argue that the Missal antiphons should not be sung, because to do so would be to advocate against Church LAW.

This being said, I think that there are plenty of good reasons to favor the Graduale texts: questions of continuity, creating a path to the Gregorian ideal, mutual enrichment between the OF and EF, and on and on.

However, one cannot reasonably argue that the Missal antiphons are not meant to be sung (at least in the US in 2012). To do so would require infidelity to the Church. And no one should feel uncomfortable singing either the texts of the Missal, the Graduale Romanum (in English or Latin) or the Graduale Simplex (in English or Latin). All of these are of higher preference according to the mind of the Church than the other texts and pieces that are often sung and have no substantial connection to the liturgical structure of the Roman Rite.

There are more subtle ways to be persuasive toward the texts of the Graduale Romanum, while still fostering fidelity to Church teaching, and preserving unity and sanity in this period of liturgical transition.

My thoughts anyway.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    However, one cannot reasonably argue that the Missal antiphons are not meant to be sung (at least in the US in 2012).

I agree (c.f. this), but I am not aware of anyone arguing for this or trying to "make this case." I would be interested to know if anyone takes this view, especially in light of the information provided here.

Charles, I am sorry I did not answer fully your inquiry, and I will attempt to a better job of this ASAP (on the run at the moment).
  • And let me add:

There should be no fear incited whatsoever in those who want to sing propers, no matter which texts they decide to sing. The important focus right now should be on singing propers in general, and on fostering fidelity to the mind of the Church. Getting our liturgical culture in this modus operandi could be the work of our lifetime. This is why I think that things like this could cause more confusion than good in the lives of average parishes. It is too much for people to digest. They blow a fuse. Information overload. Default to habitual practices.

I would like to repeat my conviction: The important thing to do right now is to sing propers in general, and foster fidelity to the mind of the Church.
  • Thank you both, fine young gentlemen you are, for easing my addled powers of comprehension.
    And let me pre-empt any due scolding by my more seasoned mentors, Mssrs. Rice and P.Ford, for doubting the ineffable wisdom of the Mahrt! I'm still engaged playing Heinz 57. (catch up!)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Adam:

. . . one cannot argue that the Missal antiphons should not be sung, because to do so would be to advocate against Church LAW.

. . . However, one cannot reasonably argue that the Missal antiphons are not meant to be sung (at least in the US in 2012). To do so would require infidelity to the Church.

What I like about this forum is the opportunity to "get in touch" with folks from different places, traditions, and experiences.

For instance, I have never encountered anyone who has said it is not allowed to sing Missal chants. Nor have I read this in any scholarly journals, websites, blogs, etc.

Is this a position that is being put forth? If so, by whom? I'd be interested to know (as someone who has sung the Graduale chants since 9th grade, I'm interested in this topic).

On the other hand, what I have encountered in my own circumstances (quite frequently over the last decade) are folks unfamiliar with the Graduale Romanum.

Charles:

Would you be so kind as to illustrate the crux of this issue for me?

Charles, I am not aware of any "issue" regarding permissions. However, I have noticed a growing movement. This movement is not looking at things from the point of view of "what is allowed?" Rather, more and more Catholics are now asking the question, "What is the best option?"

Again, I am not aware of anyone claiming that the Missal propers are not allowed to be sung. As many people, including myself, have already explained, these were always allowed to be sung as "alius cantus aptus", and have recently been included as "option no. 1" in the USA, requiring no Bishop's permission (the curious history behind this is treated here).

I remember several years ago, Jeffrey Tucker published an article questioning whether it was wise to always (and without exception) replace the Introit the Church assigned. Jeffrey was promptly ATTACKED (mauled?). Numerous people went "ballistic," and kept repeating that "hymns are allowed to replace the propers." But Jeffrey never said hymns weren't allowed. He was merely questioning the wisdom of always and without exception replacing the Propers. Again, the principle is: "Not everything which is allowed is necessarily the best option."
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This is why I think that things like this could cause more confusion than good in the lives of average parishes. It is too much for people to digest.

I am probably setting an "all-time longest" period of time for responding to a thread . . .

Seriously, though, I just want to say that I hold a different view.

In my view, we can absolutely teach the people what the Sung Propers are, where they came from, and why we pray them at Mass.

In my opinion, it is really the Spoken Propers that lack a liturgical history and are, frankly, somewhat ephemeral, being that they were added for "functionality."

I feel that the Spoken Propers more or less "throw a wrench" into things, and add confusion where there need be none, especially since the Vatican Council has promoted the idea of singing as much as possible whenever possible (even if the entire proper cannot be sung, for instance).

Dr. Mahrt pointed out that our Catholics are extremely intelligent people. They can learn what Sung Propers are: nothing is easier! Catholics understood them for centuries in a beautiful way.

When people complain about learning a beautiful hymn, maybe we should say, "Have confidence: we will learn together!"

When people complain about learning chant notation, perhaps we should say, "Have faith: we will learn together!"

When it comes to the Sung Propers, let us boast about their beauty, their antiquity, and their special and essential place in the Catholic Western Liturgy.

Again, these are just some thoughts & reflections. Take them for what they are worth . . . which may not be much!
  • I had hoped this would be a listing of "Conducti" (Conductus) and GENUINE processional hymns. (ala Gloria, Laus et honor) I must get my head out of being stuck in the 13th century.

This book is simply a list of propers from the graduale romanum that everyone already knows and uses.

It seems to me to be a silly book thats not particularly valuable for singing. They could at least include music?

It's only value seems to be as a translation tool, or an official english texts guide?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Chris: More than that, this book also has the Psalm verses appointed for use with the various processions - a handy source of this information indeed.
  • IanWIanW
    I'm no fan of E&W's Liturgy Office and feel that the Society of St. Gregory could do more to encourage use of Gregorian Chant generally and the Graduale Romanum in particular, but both have done us a favour by publishing this resource. As Bishop Hopes says in the introduction, the Conference wants us to sing the Propers rather than substitute hymns for them. In backing this publication it has made that abundantly clear. Whatever one's reservations about the translation style they are secondary to recognition of an encouraging affirmation of principle.

Incidentally, I'm greatly looking forward to publication of the Graduale Parvum, which will provide chant settings of vernacular propers and employ translations of the texts from the books of the Roman Rite.
  • RobertRobert
    The point of The Processional would be to have a single standard translation of the propers in English for composers to work with, using the ICEL translations of the antiphons in the Missal--which match the antiphons in the Graduale most of the time--as a starting point. Where the antiphons in the missal differ from those in the Graduale, the same antiphon sometimes appears elsewhere in the Missal, so this is the translation that is used. Otherwise, a new translation is supplied. In my opinion this is a grand idea; it makes eminent sense to have a single translation of the propers for composers to work with, and for this translation to match the texts of the Missal as far as possible, in the interests of uniformity in liturgical texts.

I am sure that the editors are perfectly aware of the origin and purpose of the antiphons in the Missal. Their approach seems to me to stem from a desire to avoid a confusing multiplicity of translations; if the Latin text in the Missal for the entrance antiphon for, say, the Midnight Mass of Christmas is identical to the Latin text in the Graduale, is it not confusing to have one translation for reading and a slightly different one for singing?

Moreover, the translation in the Missal is an official liturgical text, and whatever its merits as a translation it seems like the logical starting point for a consensus on which translation of an antiphon to set to music. Otherwise, one composer sets the antiphon to the translation from a hand missal from the 60s, another uses an Elizabethan English rendering from an Anglican resource, another uses a text inspired by contemporary simplified translations of scripture, another decides to translate the antiphon from scratch.

Everyone justifies their choices by saying that "there's no official translation of the Graduale propers, so we are free to do as we please!" And maybe so, but these days it is increasingly expected that compositions be approved for liturgical use by dioceses and bishops' conferences, which introduces a level of accountability for the choice of the text. In England, having a resource like The Processional that already has approval allows composers to be confident that the text will not be an obstacle to having their compositions approved.
  • wow, what a thread! Seems to me like some polite but heated discussion on issues about which most everyone seems to (more or less) agree, as best I can tell. I recall a few years ago asking a Church official about this whole question and he just waved his hand and said, look, we'll deal with all this at a later stage, maybe after we are all dead; for now, we need to sing Mass propers, whether GS, GR, or RM, doesn't matter.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • IanWIanW
    I agree that an 'official' translation has those advantages, Robert, but strictly speaking, the Processional lacks that status. As stated on the title page, it was "Compiled by the SOCIETY OF SAINT GREGORY with the approval of the Department of Christian Life & Worship of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales". We should also note that the editor of the Processional, John Ainslie, has stated publicly that its status does not preclude the use of other translations. I believe the Liturgy Office has acted wisely in this. It has pointed us to a useful resource and encouraged its use, rather than insisting we follow its instructions in matters that are still being worked out and which admit of judgement and subsidiarity.

That said, it is worth noting that the Processional is not a translation of the GR texts, no matter the commonality. For that, we shall have to wait for the Graduale Parvum, which aims for fidelity to the received texts of the Propers and sets them to the ritual music of the Rite.
  • Yes, and the Parvum is coming up.

One thing that seems to be rather clear is that if we do eventually get an official translation of the Graduale, it will not preclude the use of others. This is an extremely important point. And I'm pretty sure that everyone agrees on this matter. There will not be one prescribed text.
  • The advantages of the Graduale propers are: (A) They are of much greater antiquity (by fifteen centuries); (B) ICEL charges for the use of the missal antiphons.
  • In my view, we can absolutely teach the people what the Sung Propers are, where they came from, and why we pray them at Mass.

All I can tell you, Jeff, is that I have been singing (introducing) propers at my parish for 3 1/2 years and my pastor still cannot comprehend that there is a difference between sung and spoken propers, despite my efforts to educate him. Neither can many of the most faithful and learned servants of the liturgy who I am friends with and discuss issues like this all of the time. I'm just saying that I've tried until I've been blue in the face to catechize on this issue, and it usually doesn't do much good. It tends to be irrelevant to most.

I tend to agree with JT: "for now, we need to sing Mass propers, whether GS, GR, or RM, doesn't matter." We can give prominence to the GR texts (as I do, and as we ought to do), but explaining this to people, and expecting them to understand the difference between sung propers and spoken propers, or any consequence flowing from this, I fear, is a bit of a hopeless cause in our day.

This is my current conclusion, anyway.
    Thanked by 1Ragueneau