How to Encourage a Reluctant Pastor
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I have a very good, collegial relationship with my Pastor. He knows and appreciates my understanding of the Teachings of the Church regarding liturgy and music, and has often praised me for my sensitivity in balancing the Mind of the Church with the practicalities of parish life and the politics therein.

However, his formation was at a provincial seminary notorious for promoting exceedingly liberal ideas (which he has confessed and is very aware of), and he is surrounded by liberal "go along to get along" priests at all of the other parishes in the area from whom he feels pressure to err on the side of being permissive, mistaking it for being "pastoral". He has admitted to this repeatedly, confessing a struggle between doing what he knows is right and what he believes he "has" to do to remain "popular." I would love to tell him that people don't want a Pastor who is "popular", they want a Pastor who will teach them and lead them in the Faith and work of the Church without apology or equivocation. But I don't know quite how to express this without giving offense or appearing impertinent.

This has become an issue primarily when it comes to weddings and funerals. He truly despises the impoverished music that is still popular, but has said that if we come down too hard on policies regarding appropriate music for weddings and funerals, we'll offend people and they'll leave the parish. He often says that he wishes that the Church (or at least the diocese) would issue a definitive policy regarding this kind of music or that liturgical practice, otherwise he says he can't make rules regarding things that are permitted at other parishes, for fear of what it will do to his reputation.

I have tried to suggest that our parish is unique and that people come to it because they expect orthodoxy, and that if he were to continue moving in that direction we would become an attractive locus for orthopraxis in liturgy and music. Those who would leave because they aren't entertained or are somehow challenged by our orthodoxy would be replaced by others who genuinely desire such orthodoxy.

However, his fears always seem to get in the way, and I repeatedly find myself "in the middle" between a bride or a grieving family that wants something totally inappropriate and a Pastor who would be the "bad guy" and put his foot down, but for the fear. We still have "eulogies" at funerals and have had a number of requests for truly inappropriate music at weddings that has caused me grief and brought conflict between me and brides or me and the Pastor.

Is there some way I can encourage him more vigorously? He has always been very supportive of my work, respects my knowledge and abilities, and appreciates my sensitivity to some of these highly "political" issues. We've worked hard together to make the little advances toward better music and liturgy, so how can I help him make the next step?

Quite honestly, we've not yet gotten to a "deal-breaker" point, but there have been times when I've felt rather as though I've been "thrown under the bus" and expected to swallow hard and do what will put him in the best light. He knows that I respect his authority as Pastor (I half-jokingly refer to myself when speaking to him as "Your Obedient Servant"), and he also knows that I will, in obedience, do what he asks. However, he sometimes presumes on this, or expects that I will be the "bad guy" and then he will back me in the situation, while maintaining his own reputation as being a "moderator".

I've been at this parish longer than any other in my career. I'm not looking for trouble or a "way out", and am not looking for reasons to leave. On the contrary, I want very much to see things improve, and continue to build on the many successes and opportunities I've enjoyed since I was hired.

What would you recommend? How would you have a very frank and direct conversation with a Pastor about this without straining our otherwise collegial relationship?
  • Liam
    Sounds like a very Roman (culturally speaking) situation: the norms are valued notionally, but *if* push comes to shove, comity in relationships counts for more in making practical pastoral decisions. If you were a Roman, you'd not necessarily be as self-conscious but might see it as normal. In that light, I don't think it's for you to tell him he needs more spine, unless he invites your feedback on his spine or lack thereof.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'd offer your observations and preferences for the kind of liturgy you'd prefer, but stop short of telling him what actions he should take. Even if he asks your advice and you give it, it's still HIS judgment about what to change.

More difficult is to request that your boss gives you more support. In this case, I'd offer observations on what happened to you, and your reaction. Let him ponder how/if he should change HIS actions to make your life less difficult.

And all of this, I'd say, is best discussed in an unhurried location, maybe over dinner.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I agree that it requires great tact.

Please note that I'm looking for ways to positively encourage him, as he knows what the better choices are.

To that end, I've removed the reference to him "finding his spine", since it's what everyone is focusing on.
  • Good luck. My former pastor also had "no spine" and did anything and everything he thought would "keep the peace" with the people, allowing them to actually run the parish and decide for themselves what was or was not appropriate for liturgy. The former DM was EXTREMELY liberal in her thinking and was outspoken and very demanding. As a result, the "spineless" pastor did everything she insisted and never got involved with anything musically, whether or not he felt her selections were appropriate. When he was replaced by a VERY orthodox priest, and I came on board as director (I had been a pianist while she was director), things in the parish changed drastically. But, in my opinion, for the better. Our people are now being shepherded, rather than allowed to roam the fields unguided. Sometimes it's just a matter of catechesis with the people. In my situation, as time goes on, the situation is getting a little better, but it will take a long time to "undo" what the other pastor did and take away the people's sense of entitlement to everything.

Whether or not your priest is doing what you feel is right, the bottom line is that he is the pastor and has the right to do what he feels is right for his parish. Unfortunately, taking the "path to least resistance" is not shepherding the flock. But, again, you are his subordinate, and while you may have your own opinions, he has the final word.

I would continue to talk with him and let him have your opinions, but be careful in being judgmental. Remember, he IS the pastor, for better or for worse.
  • BenBen
    My bishop's homily last night at the transitional deaconate ordination was a great reflection on his very issue. He mentioned that becoming a deacon ( and eventually a priest) is first and foremost about sacrifice, to that end, he said that just going along with everyone and being universally liked is not a sacrifice, and that we would be "very suspicious" if in ten years, we was found to be a very, very popular priest (he said this jokingly, but the point of the homily still stands). A rather interesting homily overall, and it relates quite well to this discussion.
  • Thank you, Ben, for that post. We are facing such trouble at my parish because our new pastor refuses to back down to the wishes of the people. He doesn't care about popularity, but, rather, in shepherding his flock. I have the utmost respect for him. Nothing is more sacrificial than in being constantly persecuted for doing the proper thing and not "going with the flow". I face that every weekend as DM, but refuse to give in, and, while I am not the most popular music director (and, as a matter of fact, have been the target of many people who have gone to the pastor asking for my removal because they don't like the music), I know what I am doing is right. It's lonely, yes, but well worth the sacrifice to catechize the people.