Relocating
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Dear Friends and Colleagues,

My full name is actually David Saunders. I'm very honored to announce that effective September 1, 2013, I will assume the post of Music Director and Organist at Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (The position was posted here by Matthewj about a week ago. Yes, things moved with dizzying speed last week!)

I will be in the process of relocating there beginning next week and hope to be fully moved (but by no means settled) into my new digs in Comstock Park.

I am truly excited about this important move in my career, and am particularly excited about the opportunity to work the the Pastor (Fr. Robert Sirico), Associate Pastor Peter Damien and the many talented volunteers in the various scholas and ensembles.

I am very much interested in finding out who else is in the Grand Rapids area from this forum, and also who you might consider important to get to know and develop a collegial relationship with there. I intend to make myself as much at home in the area and stay for a good long time, and so like-minded friends and colleagues will be an important part of my becoming rooted.

Please feel free to send me a private message via the forum. I'm looking forward to getting to know my colleagues out there, after having lived in a rather isolated part of Downriver Detroit for the last four years.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ¡Viva la Revolución!
  • Kathy
    A few years ago I was in Grand Rapids for a hymn thingie, and there was a parish that I liked. I think it was staffed by Redemptorist fathers. Does this ring a bell?
  • Ben Yanke lives up yonder in Wisconsin...he might be able to help.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know anyone there, but congratulations on the new position!
  • ghmus7
    Congratulations. I know that there are many Masonites in GR, I think there is someone at the Basilica there. St Adelberts?
  • GavinGavin
    I just had an opportunity to return to Grand Rapids in May. Founders Brewery is, in my opinion, among the finest beers in Michigan. Their brewpub has plenty of beers not released to the public.

Hopcat is also a must-go. It is a bar with 50 beers on tap, and they have a large microbrewing operation that they rent to homebrewers in exchange for a keg of their beer, which they sell. Last time I was there, this was a spiced strong ale, which went well with their green tea pepper saison ice cream sandwich. Service has gone WAY downhill since they opened. Get the crack fries, too.

Organ-wise, there's plenty of must-sees. Sacred Heart has a very useable organ, and when I was there the Schola of the Chair of St. Peter was in residence, which besides being fine singers is a WONDERFUL and FUN group of devout men, with whom you must connect. I never got to Park UCC, but they have a large EM Skinner redone by Muller. Basically, wander into any church (even the Reformed ones) and they'll have a great organ to see. I also second St. Adalbert's. It's probably the only good Wicks anywhere, but the room helps. Whatever you do, don't go there for the liturgy. (Or so I've heard.)

Grand Rapids is a fairly liberal diocese, but hopefully you'll be well-inulated at Sacred Heart. Try to get involved with the Diocese of K-Zoo. There's some great people there.

Expect crime there, too. Drive around potential neighborhoods before moving in, but realize that filth comes out of the city and into the suburbs, too. I lived in Kentwood, then Byron Center; both of which are affordable, but in Kentwood I lived across the hall from drug dealers, and in Byron Center, despite the calm of the area, my car was broken into twice in one week.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    A priest of my diocese just became bishop there. Good guy. He's solid.