Seeking New Men's/Women's Schola Members - Grand Rapids, MI
  • Sacred Heart of Jesus Church is seeking men and women interested in singing in the scholas for the weekly EF Mass. (You may recall seeing postings regarding the CD "Stella Splendens", recently released by the girl's schola of SHoJ.)

SHoJ is the only parish in the Diocese of Grand Rapids to offer the older form of Mass every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation since an indult was granted in 1990.

The overall sacred music program is currently being rebuilt as part of a larger vision for the parish under the pastorate of Rev. Robert Sirico, in an effort to integrate all aspects of parish life similar to that of St. John Cantius, Chicago. In addition to the men's schola, a women's schola for the EF has begun rehearsals. OF Masses held at 10:30 AM include a mixed adult choir, currently rehearsing, and a boy's and girl's choir is in the process of being formed.

If you live in the greater Grand Rapids area, and are looking for an opportunity to participate in a "reform of the reform"-oriented sacred music program, especially if you have previous experience in chant and sacred polyphony, please contact me at dsaunders@sacredheartgr.org. For more information about SHoJ, visit the website at http://home.catholicweb.com/SacredHeartofJesus/#.UnuDLCeziSp. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the first page, you'll see a category labeled "Sacred Music" where I've posted a series of articles, some of which contain more information about the program.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Bumping this.

We're in need of men for the EF schola in particular.

The women's schola is shaping up nicely but they're not quite up to singing for an entire Mass, so we divide the responsibilities for the minor propers between the men and the women.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you live in the greater Grand Rapids area and are interested.