Question about singing the Te Deum
  • Raphael
    Could someone give some guidance (or point me to a resource) regarding the public singing of a Te Deum in thanksgiving for blessings received? I understand its use in the Liturgy of the Hours. However, I am more interested in how the hymn could be used at my parish as we celebrate our one hundredth anniversary this summer. Could one sing a Te Deum after Communion, or is it preferable to sing it outside of Mass? Are there any rubrics one should be aware of? Thank you in advance for any advice or insights!
  • m_r_taylor
    Can't give you specific rubrics; when we do it we sing it directly after Mass has concluded.
    Thanked by 1Raphael
  • MatthewRoth
    After Mass or better in conjunction with benediction is most traditional.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Raphael
  • GerardH
    See my discussion here. We did it after Mass at the steps of the sanctuary.

EDIT: and we used "Let us bless the Lord" as the dismissal instead of "Go forth, the Mass is ended"
    Thanked by 1Raphael
  • a_f_hawkins
    A long article from the early 20th century suggests few rules outside the regular use in the Office https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14468c.htm a hundred years ago
    In addition to its use in the Divine Office, the Te Deum is occasionally sung in thanksgiving to God for some special blessing (e.g. the election of a pope, the consecration of a bishop, the canonization of a saint, the profession of a religious, the publication of a treaty of peace, a royal coronation, etc.), and then usually after Mass or Divine Office, or as a separate religious ceremony. When sung thus immediately before or after Mass, the celebrant, who intones the hymn, may wear the vestments appropriate in colour to the day, unless these should happen to be black. Otherwise, while the rubrics prescribe no special colour, Violet is forbidden in processions of thanksgiving (pro gratiarum actione), green is inappropriate for such solemn occasions, red (though permissible) would not suggest itself, unless some such feast as Pentecost, for example, should call for it. White, therefore, or gold, which is considered its equivalent, is thus left as the most suitable colour. The choir and congregation sing the hymn standing, even when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed, but kneel during the verse "Te ergo quaesumus" At the end the versicles "Benedicamus Patrem" etc. are added, followed by the single prayer "Deus cujus misericordiae".
  • Chaswjd
    The GIRM says this about the time after communion:

'88. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation.'

Since the Te Deum is a hymn of praise whose text is already used in the public prayer of the church, it would seem to fit in what para. 88 contemplates. I think that in the right circumstances, the Te Deum after communion would be entirely appropriate.

I also think that it could be used as a recessional hymn if you wish.