[FT] Director of Sacred Music/Organist (incl. TLM and High School Choir) - Sleepy Eye, MN
  • rvisser
    Director of Sacred Music / Organist
    St. Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church
    Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

F/T, Exempt Employee, Full Benefits
    Reports to: Pastor
    Receives Work Direction From School Principal
    Direct Reports: Accompanists and other parish musicians

St. Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, Diocese of New Ulm, is seeking a full-time Director of Sacred Music to glorify God and edify the faithful by carrying on the parish's long and robust tradition of sacred music for the liturgy in a beautiful, historic church building, with multiple volunteer parish choirs and an excellent pipe organ, and which actively incorporates the parish's PreK-12 Catholic School into the musical life of the parish. Sleepy Eye is a city of about 4,000 in Brown County, MN. This safe, beautiful, walkable community is undergoing a revitalization and renaissance of its historic downtown and boasts a strong and dedicated Catholic community that takes great pride in supporting their parish and school.

Essential Parish Tasks (20-30 hrs/wk):
    -Direct, recruit, train, and, if necessary, accompany the two parish choirs (Caecilian Choir for the 9:30 Mass in English, Stella Maris Choir for the 11:30 Mass in Latin) for Sundays and, as determined, holy days, running rehearsals during the week.
    -Serve as organist for at least one weekend Mass. Schedule accompanists and cantors for other weekend and holy day Masses, and submit the schedules to the parish office for publication.
    -Proficiency in organ playing, voice, and choral conducting, as necessary for the job and established by audition.
    -Work with cantors and accompanists to ensure musical and liturgical standards are met.
    -Prepare long-range music plans and weekly liturgy sheets for parish and school Masses, and place in sacristy weekly.
    -Prepare the cantor and accompanist binders for weekend liturgies.
    -See to or delegate responsibility for live-streaming the 7:30 am Sunday Mass and major feast days. A full set of instructions and trained volunteers are already in place.
    -Prepare music for special parish celebrations, such as Holy Hours, Marian processions, occasional Vespers services, Good Friday Tenebrae, and others as requested.
    -Funerals and weddings for additional compensation as requested by the family / as available.
    -Possibility of using parish/school facilities for private music lessons.

Essential School Duties (10-20 hrs/wk):
    -Serve as the primary instructor for the HS Concert Choir, according to an established weekly schedule, planning and preparing music for 3 concerts and Large Group Contest each year.
    -Plan and provide music for one or two weekly school Masses in the church.
    -Prepare liturgy sheets for High School Masses.
    -Serve as the primary instructor for the MS/HS Schola Cantorum, rehearsing once a week, and singing at all MS/HS and All School Masses in the Church.
    -Prepare the annual School Mass schedule (after the first year -- outgoing director will prepare schedule for 2024-2025 academic year)
    -Serve as an assistant instructor for the MS Choir. Be willing to assist if needed with the Elementary Music teacher
    -Assist in providing music for Elementary school Masses and choir for Elementary School Mass.

-Qualification: B.A. in Music, Theology, Liturgy, or related field, with equivalent experience. Master's or equivalent professional experience preferred. 3- 5 years of experience in a parish setting preferred

Compensation:
    Generous, livable wage commensurate with experience and credentials

Practicing Catholic preferred. Candidates are expected to live a life publicly in conformity with the moral teachings of the Catholic Church.

Employment is contingent on the completion of necessary background checks and required child protection training/certification.

Interested applicants should visit the website, www.sesmschool.com, to obtain an application. Mail or email a personal resume, St. Mary’s application, and three references to:
    Fr. Mark Steffl
    St. Mary’s Church
    636 1st Ave N
    Sleepy Eye, MN 56085
    507-794-4171
    msteffl@dnu.org
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • rvisser
    I am moving from Sleepy Eye to Cloquet this summer (Queen of Peace), so my position here is open late-July. I've been here for 2 years, NihilNominis was here for 6ish years prior to me, and Jacob Flaherty was here for a few years before that.
    Teaching high school choir and schola is an important part of this position (my job is split 15 hours in the school and 25 for the parish) and the last two years have gone very well for me here. The job also includes the Diocese's TLM, which is at Japanese Martyrs in Leavenworth. I am happy to share more details if anyone wants to know more about the parish/school. Nihil's posting from 2 years ago is still pretty accurate (although the boss is moving July 1): https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/19930/not-an-official-listing-this-could-be-your-dream-job/p1
    I also have a beautiful house to sell in Sleepy Eye, a block away from the school/church. It is not yet on the market. It has been a blessing for my family to be able to walk to church and school every day!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions