Proposal for a "Town Hall" meeting at Colloquium
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Wer hat es hier verbitt?
    Seriously...don't be an a-hole, speak to others as you'd like to be spoken to, and the little stuff will work itself out.
  • chonakchonak
    Matthew, if you want a completely unmoderated forum, you can always start one. You could even hire me to set it up and not moderate it.
    Thanked by 2francis matthewj
  • Kathy
    Matthew, what have you been reading?
  • francis
    Chonak

Can I watch?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Find beauty in chaos and bring it to light.

Fixed.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    while I respect your point of view, I think perhaps you UNDERESTIMATE the importance of the forum. I was one of those newbies seeking information.

I didn't read much after this, but FWIW, this forum has had, and continues to have a profound impact on my knowledge and direction of Sacred Music. I'm not sure my parish would have any involvement in the SACRED MUSIC REVOLUTION (in the Northeast, ed.) if I hadn't stumbled upon the incredible insight and information that is buried within the pages of this forum.
  • SalieriSalieri
    information that is buried

Finding information here is a bit like archaeology, you have to dig beneath the layers of irrelevant comments, bad (i.e. good) puns, and general dirt to find it. Though there are some who don't think the information (or dinosaurs) actually exists, and it's all just a ploy.
  • There has been discussion in the past of a WIKI, which would help to eliminate some of the rough treatment of those who arrive here and ask gth4 basic questions and, instead of getting answers, open sore wounds of those who have already fought the battle, once again.
    Thanked by 2Jahaza eft94530
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Haha, well, thankfully google does quite a bit of the excavation. That's how I landed here.
  • francis
    Knowing how to engage in the 'battle' is just as important as the musical knowledge. If you don't know how to engage in (spiritual) battle, then you are in for the shock of your life when you enter the fray, and you might find yourself defenseless.

Therefore, anyone who enters here, I suggest would glean BOTH the musical knowledge and then put on the 'whole armor of God' as you wander among the saints and angels, demons and wolves; it's all part of the job!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BruceL
    I "liked" Matthew's last more for the first part of his post...

I think we should just be careful for this to be a "safe place". It's frustrating when the periodic flaming comes up, just as the occasional troll "rustles my ..."

I think it's always worth remembering that any discussion we have on here should really be conducted in the way that it would be if we were all sitting around a table visiting. At least to me, that's the ideal of any discussion. If someone has a disagreement, you settle it civilly...or leave the table.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • I hate to say it, but I am occasionally in the position now of being the person who knows a lot about Chant in a room full of newbies, and I have told the newbies--in the presence of people I know who have written scalding posts here--that they should avoid this forum. As in, "Do NOT go to the Musica Sacra Forum."

A friend some years ago posted something he had written, and the first--FIRST--response was from someone quoting Nietsche or Wagner (someone who should not be quoted in this forum) about people who just put notes on paper and called it music. First response.

Same friend asked innocently how you read the vertical episma in a salicus and got--get this--a whole debate over old Solesmes and St. Gall/Laon running to 11,500 words.

I myself asked what the difference was between a Gradual and a Responsorial Psalm. The first response was, quite incorrectly, "they are two totally different things, aren't they?" OK, if that is true--and in the eyes of the legislation of the Church, it most emphatically is not--could you please tell me, politely, HOW?

I have in a couple of instances privately scolded people who had been dismissive of others.

It was specifically my disgust at the responses that I received to yet another innocent question that prompted the creation of the intermittent warning banners. I thanked the moderator for that, but I cannot say that it has done much.

Kenneth Killiany

Before someone takes my head off, in the GIRM, all Psalms with the form antiphon and verse are Responsorial Psalms. The Gradual and Lectionary Psalms are different instances. When people say that the "Gradual is superior," you have to ask if they are talking about the particular Scripture (as the Gradual and Lectionary have different cycles), the Chant music itself, or just a preference. If I didn't state that with punctilious correctness, I am sure I will hear about it.
  • "Do NOT go to the Musica Sacra Forum."

Possibly it is time, Kenneth, for a closed forum that is moderated and searchable by Google and an open forum set non-searchable to keep all the arguments and lack of topicality and friendliness off the www and to satisfy both camps.

Thoughts?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kyrie eleison, I went back and checked off all the PM history in my box, and Deo gratias there was nothing there with Kenneth!
    I've been under the impression that there's a general consensus that this forum ought to remain as laissez faire as possible. Having been taken to task lotsa occasions for seemingly trying to censor or gum up the works in threads, I don't think that MSF should have any tiers of participation.
    I defer to the common sense of dear Jeffrey Quick!
  • TCJ
    What I think is that people should quit taking anything said on an internet forum personally. There are far too many hurt feelings involved, and quite often they are had from posts that were not even directed at them. Yes, some people can be quite direct, blunt, perhaps belligerent, and in some cases, all out rude, but you don't pitch the whole box of apples because there are a few rotten ones. You do get rid of the rotten ones before they cause others to go bad!

Easy solution: go into the forum with the goal of reading everything as completely impersonal. Remember that you are there for information. If someone posts something that is not informative, then ignore it and move on to the next.

Seriously, I think we've got a society that expects everyone to be treated like a child and for a higher-up to care for them when they get "hurt". We have a nanny state in the U.S.A. - let's not have one here on CMAA!
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I agree. Some of the things labeled as being rude are not at all rude. Direct? Perhaps. I largely see no ad hominem attacks here. In fact, I never do.
  • BenBen
    You're stupid, PGA. Of course there are ad hominem attacks all the time here.
  • CharlesW
    And if I get my hands on that dang Hominem fellow, I am going to strangle the living dog doody out of him.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Takes one to know one.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    For the hundredth time, don't make me stop this car!
  • SalieriSalieri
    He started it!
  • JahazaJahaza
    No posting while driving, Kathy!
    Thanked by 2Kathy matthewj
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You're not cruising around on a Vespa, Kathy?
  • a-hole,

I don't mean to complain about language, but seriously, isn't this missing an "-"?
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Salieri
  • CharlesW
    We should give all new posters an award to enhance their self-esteem even if they are only putting notes on paper and calling it music. Those notes are chromatically challenged and can't help it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would never say anything mean to anybody on the Forum, and I only make fun of people I like.

WHICH IS WHY I NEVER MAKE FUN OF BEN YANKE!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I got the sense JQ is a minimalist.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Seriously though... can we unban everyone who has been banned?

It's what our Lord would want us to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE2WKcjBiZY&safe=active
  • francis
    Are we there yet?
  • rich_enough
    "Do NOT go to the Musica Sacra Forum."

Allow me to (politely) take exception to this most worthy sentiment. :)

Yes, you can find uninformed, impatient, and condescending comments on this forum. They're regrettable, certainly, but should hardly be that surprising or "scandalous" (we're all fallen human beings, after all). I just think that such comments are far outweighed by all the helpful information and commentary one can find here.

Personally, I can't get all that worked up about someone I don't even know making a less-than-polite response to one of my comments. And I think a lot is lost by turning people away from this forum because some comments (a very low percentage, in my experience) are less than helpful or polite.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Kathy
    Having been banned myself from a few things, I can appreciate the All Are Welcome sentiment.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as deliberately disrupting every. single. conversation. So if we're thinking about whom I'm thinking about, I vote
    Thanked by 3G bkenney27 gregp
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Having varying voices... even if their voices is heard and varied on every topic known to man... is a good thing. It makes for a more interesting board. So yes. I am talking about him.
  • Kathy
    Yes, I'm familiar with your chaos theory. If it were interesting I would be all for it. It's not interesting. It's boring because it's obstruction for obstruction's sake. Say you were going 90 on the freeway uphill and every 5 miles there was a loaded RV that wouldn't move over and let everyone else just drive. That is not interesting.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    You can keep talking about a topic and ignore his posts. However, having his posts might at some points help us look at things from another perspective.

Bring him back.
  • Kathy
    I went to college at a Great Books school, which means a) every class demands hours of prep time, and b) the students learn from the books and from each other.

At the end of sophomore year, there was a process called "enabling." The faculty would have to choose to "enable" you to go on to junior and senior year.

Usually only a couple of people failed to be advanced, and most of them were told to come back and reapply for admission when they'd change. Which is great. I personally stood up for a bunch of kids who were being disciplined for out of class behavior or whatever and helped keep 5 kids that I know of from being expelled.

The one kid I was glad was not enabled was in like 3 of my classes sophomore year, and he would continually do this thing where, once a conversation really got going, he would pull some theater of the absurd crap that stalled everyone.

If that's what you want, I think Chonak offered to build an unmoderated blog where you could have fun with that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm so dense and delusional it took me a while to figure out who had earned Kathy's grumpy "nope!" The thread drift from Phil's Academy Award thought to MJM's "All are welcome" proposal (great one, KP) flummoxed me totally, which isn't difficult to accomplish.
    "What the world needs now.....is......" NOT ANOTHER LITBLOG!
    It is clear that a real detante be maintained while CMAAers maintain their principles when we cross-refer to the loyal opposition. Life's tough enough in real time that we don't need to lather up in cybertime, and we're not getting any younger!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "I got the sense JQ is a minimalist."
    Well, not musically, certainly...more's the pity, as my stuff would be easier to sing.

But really, in any situation involving people and their widdle feewings, cut to the chase and ask how Jesus would have you handle this. Not that we all do that, in the heat of battle. But if we did, things would be simpler.

So in that sense, I am a minimalist. Don't sweat the little stuff.
  • WendiWendi
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Just a thought... this year at the Colloquium we have reserved meeting rooms on some evenings intended to be available for sectional rehearsals (completely optional and available for any group to use). One of those rooms could very easily be reserved for an informal meeting of this sort... Signups for those rooms will be at the book sale tables... Really looking forward to seeing you folks there in Indy.
    Thanked by 2Kathy chonak
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, I just checked our traffic stats: they're on a steady upward trend.

Forum usage is up over the past two years: about 50% more comments per month; and nearly twice as many page views.

Not bad, folks!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bkenney27