The annual organist's dilemma
  • francis
    Sad statement on penitence: Just a handful of people showed up for confession today.

Music for advent Review: For the postlude I played an improv on Conditor alme siderum on flutes just as though it was a communion interlude. Also I had the Deacon chant an antiphonal Kyrie, which helped to set the tone for Advent.
  • priorstf
    francis -- I find it more a sad statement on the thousands of priests who fail to teach people what sin and penitence are all about. Catholics have been more than happy to catch onto the Protestant concept of "belief is all you need" and will turn a deaf ear -- and empty collection envelope -- to the priest who dares speak otherwise.

There was a time our priests and bishops went to prison, torture and death for what they believed and said. Today they live in terror of losing a tax break.
  • francis
    priorstf:

Very true. I just told our pastor he should preach fire and brimstone and get these people in the confessional. I think we should throw the tax thing to the dogs. It is just a scam to keep the church out of the political realm--a true deceptive cadence if I ever heard one.
  • Gavin said:

This is one of the few places where I agree 100% with Fr. Z: a RETURN (because it's the more ancient practice) to blue in Advent would be fantastic. However, until the Church gets its act together and follows the dictates of myself and Fr. Z, priests should be content to wear purple.

Be careful, Gavin. Make sure you're clear about what Fr. Z stands for:

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/11/quaeritur-advent-wreaths-and-my-annual-rant-on-blue-vestments/

(cut and paste the above, since I don't know how to do hyperlinks yet).

He makes it very clear that the use of blue as a liturgical color is illicit (illegal), stresses the importance of the use of purple and rose, and states that should the Holy See dictate the use of blue in Advent, he'd happily don liturgical blue. In the meantime he doesn't in any way suggest agitating for it, and happily complies with and teaches the importance of the use of purple (and rose) in Advent.

Just a little correction to a brother! :^)
  • My parochial vicar preached an impassioned homily about the nature of Advent. He mentioned that this is the time of moderation, although, he also noted that it's hard to keep things in moderation if this is also the time of year when everyone is shoving food in your face (all that partying). He noted that we shouldn't be carousing like drunken sailors.

He also believes that this is a penitential season and that is why the music at the Masses he celebrated was low-key.

By the way, O Come, O Come Emmanuel has a strong penitential ring to it (who mourns in lowly exile here). Think about it.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Advent versus Lent, penance, confession.
    So much good reading, so little time ...

www.vatican.va
    English
    Papal Archive
    Pius XII
    Encyclicals
    Mediator Dei (November 20, 1947)
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_20111947_mediator-dei_en.html
    154. In the period of Advent, for instance, the Church arouses in us the consciousness of the sins we have had the misfortune to commit, and urges us, by restraining our desires and practicing voluntary mortification of the body, to recollect ourselves in meditation, and experience a longing desire to return to God who alone can free us by His grace from the stain of sin and from its evil consequences.
    157. During the days of Septuagesima and Lent, our Holy Mother the Church over and over again strives to make each of us seriously consider our misery, so that we may be urged to a practical emendation of our lives, detest our sins heartily and expiate them by prayer and penance. For constant prayer and penance done for past sins obtain for us divine help, without which every work of ours is useless and unavailing.

www.vatican.va
    English
    Roman Curia
    Synod of Bishops
    Instrumentum laboris (July 7, 2005)
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20050707_instrlabor-xi-assembly_en.html
    24. [...] Greater effort is needed in providing the opportunity for individual confessions. This could possibly be done in conjunction with neighbouring parishes, not only on Saturdays and Sundays but especially during Advent and Lent. Through preaching and catechesis much can be accomplished to restore a sense of sin and penitential practice, which will counteract the difficulties resulting from a secularized mentality. [...]

www.vatican.va
    English
    Papal Archive
    Benedict XVI
    Apostolic Exhortations
    Sacramentum Caritatis (February 22, 2007)
    http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis_en.html
    20. [long, so will not paste here]
    21. [long, so will not paste here]
  • Here is what Pope Benedict said in a magnificent homily he preached on the First Sunday of Advent:

Advent, therefore, means to recall the first coming of the Lord in the flesh, already thinking of his final return and, at the same time, it means to acknowledge that Christ present among us makes himself our companion on the journey in the life of the Church that celebrates this mystery. This awareness, dear brothers and sisters, nourished by listening to the Word of God, should help us to see the world with different eyes, to interpret the different events of life and history as words that God addresses to us, as signs of his love that assure us of his closeness in every situation; in particular, this awareness should prepare us to receive him "when he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will not end," as we will repeat in a while in the Creed. In this perspective Advent becomes for all Christians a time of waiting and hope, a privileged time of listening and reflection, allowing ourselves to be guided by the liturgy that calls us to go out to meet the Lord who is coming.

"Come Lord Jesus": This ardent invocation of the early Christian community must become, dear friends, also our constant aspiration, the aspiration of the Church of every age, which longs and prepares for the encounter with its Lord. "Come today Lord, help us, illumine us, give us peace, help us to overcome violence," come Lord, we pray in fact these weeks. "Lord, let your face shine upon us and we shall be saved": so we prayed a moment ago with the words of the responsorial psalm. And, in the first reading, the prophet Isaiah revealed to us that our Savior's face is that of a tender and merciful Father, who takes care of us in every circumstance because we are the work of his hands. "For thou art our Father, our Redeemer from of old is thy name" (Isaiah 63:16).

Our God is a Father willing to forgive repentant sinners and to receive all those who trust in his mercy (cf. Isaiah 64:4). We were estranged from him because of sin, falling under the dominion of death, but he had mercy on us and by his initiative, without any merit on our part, decided to come to us, sending his only Son as our Redeemer. Before so great a mystery of love, may our gratitude rise spontaneously and our invocation be more confident. "Show us, Lord, today in our time and in all parts of the world your mercy and give us your salvation" (cf. Hymn to the Gospel).

-----------------------
    So, he talks about this being a time of mercy. The fact that we don't sing the Gloria during this time of the liturgical year should send a huge signal that something is very different (along with the fact that purple vestments are used).
  • G
    "He noted that we shouldn't be carousing like drunken sailors."

I really wish we could schedule for the drunken sailoresque carousing for December 26 - February 2.
    In all seriousness, why don't parishes, of all places schedule their Christmas parties for CHRISTMAStide? The choir party, the Rosary Society luncheon, the Daughters of Isabella potlucks... what not after Christmas?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mjballoumjballou
    A friend of mine asked a bishop if he (the bishop) couldn't request parishes to move Christmas celebrations to Christmastide. The friend lived for years in Austria where no one played any Christmas music before 12/24, instead having concerts of Advent music, etc. The bishop's response: "Why, I couldn't tell them to do that!"

It would be wonderful if the seasons could be "recovered and reordered." While the rest of society was sitting amid disappointing, now broken toys (both adult and child), Catholics would be pulling on their Christmas crackers, telling jokes, and singing, as well as carousing. And someone might wonder why we were different....
  • eft94530eft94530
    Paulist Press Ordo 2009
    The Order of Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours and Celebration of the Eucharist 2009
    page 1

ADVENT
    Advent has a two-fold character: as a season to prepare for Christmas when Christ's first coming to us is remembered, and as a season when that remembrance directs our mind andheart to await Christ's second coming at the end of time. Advent this is a period of devout and joyful expectation (General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar [henceforth, General Norms], 39).

Then follows bullet paragraphs one through five, which I ignore here.

Here is bullet paragraph six:

The official color for the season of Advent is violet. In order to distinguish between this season and the specifically penitential season of Lent, the bluer hues of violet may be used during Advent. Light blue vestments, however, are not authorized for use in the United States.

There is NO citation provided to support this statement in bullet six.

So ...
    this Ordo is probably where everyone is getting this idea,
    and why nobody can point to an official document.
  • Kathy
    We don't use any organ solo music on the 1st, 2nd and 4th Sundays--not even "travelling music" to cover the end of processions, offertory, or the purification of vessels.

I've found that this forces us not only to have extra silence but also extra singing.
  • chonakchonak
    The ordo blurb is probably correct, too. If some pastor wants to go to the trouble of having an extra set of differently violet vestments in order to play up a distinction between Lent and Advent, he can do that, and it's probably lawful.

But on the scale of catechectical tasks, it's not that important. The pastor would be spending parish money and spending homily time -- 'cause you know that Father's going to talk about it -- to do something that the Church doesn't require and doesn't even recommend. After all, the thought of Advent as penitential is not exactly a grave error to be stamped out.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Book of Blessings, Catholic Book Publishing Company, New York 1989, page 647:

Chapter 47
    ORDER FOR THE BLESSING OF
    AN ADVENT WREATH
    First Sunday of Advent [USA]

INTRODUCTION

1509 The use of the Advent Wreath is a traditional practice which has
    found its place in the Church as well as in the home. The blessing of an
    Advent Wreath takes place on the First Sunday of Advent or on the evening
    before the First Sunday of Advent. The blessing may be celebrated during
    Mass, a celebration of the word of God, or Evening Prayer.

1510 Customarily the Advent Wreath is constructed of a circle of ever-
    green branches into which are inserted four candles. According to tradition,
    three of the candles are violet and the fourth is rose. However, four violet or
    white candles may also be used.

1511 The candles represent the four weeks of Advent and the number of
    candles lighted each week corresponds to the number of the current week of
    Advent. The rose candle is lighted on the Third Sunday of Advent, also
    known as Gaudete Sunday.

1512 If the Advent Wreath is to be used in church, it should be of sufficient
    size to be visible to the congregation. It may be suspended from the ceiling
    or placed on a stand. If it is placed in the presbyterium, it should not interfere
    with the celebration of the liturgy, nor should it obscure the altar, lecturn, or
    chair.

1513 When the Advent Wreath is used in church, on the Second and suc-
    ceeding Sundays of Advent the candles are lighted either before Mass begins
    or immediately before the opening prayer; no additional rites or prayers are
    used.

1514 When the blessing of the Advent Wreath is celebrated in the home,

Nothing about blue candles.
  • eft94530eft94530
    "... allowed to eat meat at all times during Advent? ..."

www.vatican.va
    English
    Resource Library
    Code of Canon Law
    English
    scroll down to Book IV. Part III. Title II.
    Chapter II. Days of Penance
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM

When I find an override on the USCCB website I will update this sentence.
  • chonakchonak
    The US bishops relaxed that back in 1966.
    http://www.usccb.org/lent/2007/Penance_and_Abstinence.pdf

[emphasis added]

"24. Among the works of voluntary self-denial and personal penance
    which we especially commend to our people for the future observance
    of Friday, even though we hereby terminate the traditional law of
    abstinence binding under pain of sin
    , as the sole prescribed means of
    observing Friday, we give first place to abstinence from flesh meat."

"We do so in the hope that the Catholic community will
    ordinarily continue to abstain from meat by free choice as
    formerly we did in obedience to Church law."

---

I don't think most Catholics have implemented the last part of that yet.

Note: this passage applies to Fridays outside of Lent. The obligation was retained for Lent in another paragraph.
  • I went to a Paulist parish for 10 years when I lived in Austin. They weren't too much on Tradition, except when it came to the music. At the time I was there, the organ was minimal and therer were no solos. Mind you, the organist at the time was Lutheran, but, he seemed to have a better handle on the Church's sacred music than many of the folks back home.
  • francis
    Let's face it folks... penance, fasting and sin are just not "popular" ideas in the church. I wonder why?!
  • priorstf
    Because the protestant God comes with an "EASY" button.
  • francis
    dont they sell those at staples... i gotta get one for the organ console.
  • chonakchonak
    Now, prior, dear, don't go pinning this rap on Protestants. Some of us Catholics used to fall into that category, and we know that many Protestants have a good understanding of sin and repentance. (Some of them even engage in fasting, though they tend to count it as an intercessory practice rather than an expression of penitence.)

The "God" who comes with an "easy" button is the Pelagian one, and that one predates Protestantism by a millennium or so!
  • This has taken an interesting turn, so I'd like to start a new thread entitled, "Keeping Advent."

Go check it out!
  • eft94530eft94530
    This Advent 2008 discussion rises to the top now (Advent 2009),
    as I add this comment about recently noticed scores for those
    who are still looking for preludes and postludes for the Advent and Christmas Seasons.

Otto Malling (1848-1915) of Denmark and some of his "Stemningsbilleder" ("mood-pictures")

Christi Fodsel (The Birth Of Christ)(Opus 48)
    Jomfru Maria (The Virgin Mary)(Opus 70)
    De hellige tre Konger (The Holy Three Kings)(Opus 84)

The Sibley Music Library
    http://www.esm.rochester.edu/sibley/
    mouse over "Music Resources"
    mouse over "Sibley Resources"
    mouse over "Sibley Digitized Material"

In the Search field: otto malling
    then click button Search.
    At the moment, this search returns 16 PDF files; each contains several pieces.
  • francis
    wow. i downloaded tons off the rochester site last night. what a resource!
  • mahrt
    While this is a fine point, it is still significant: the color for Advent and Lent is violet, not purple. Violet is more bluish, while purple is more reddish; purple is the color that bishops wear, and is a princely color, not particularly penitential. A dark blue-violet really does convey a sense of penitence, while the color we see on bishops, sometimes verging on magenta, does not.