Responsa ad Dubia concerning Traditionis Custodes
  • There are only a very small number of recalcitrants.

Communion in the hand.
    Girl Altar Boys.
    Guitars.

The number of agitators for these was --- TINY-- and yet, somehow, the numbers of agitators (recalcitrants) didn't matter.
  • CharlesW
    tomjaw; different situation in the U.S. entirely. When a church closes, it generally becomes a bar, if even left standing, or more likely a parking lot. Even retired priests are not completely free to do as they please. Pensions have been yanked from retired priests.
  • In short, I think it's a temporary disciplinary measure to ensure that acceptance of the Novus Ordo Mass includes acceptance of the legitimacy of a posture and stance that TLM groups might be resistant to accept.
    I'm not sure what your point is, Mark. I don't believe it to be necessary that a group embrace the equal legitimacy of every single option in the 1970/2011 Missal when the vast majority of the church is clearly not held to that same standard. On the contrary - what should be demonstrated is that the Missal is clearly accommodating of those liturgical practices habitually associated with the 1962 Missal and that the change-over does not have to be a rupture.
  • Chris, for the record, I never said I agree with his choices, I just understand why a Bishop would say the OF must be celebrated on certain days.

I do wonder if he can legitimately require certain options in the missal. We discussed this a while back (I don't remember what thread though), and I think we concluded that a Bishop could not mandate one option in the missal and ban another. If someone remembers what discussion this is, it would be appreciated.

Hawkins, could you clarify what exactly typical means in this case? I'm not quite familiar with that liturgical term.
  • dad29
    Well.....so long as someone wishes to quote SC, let's get the important stuff, too!!

36. 1. Particular law remaining in force, the use of the Latin language is to be preserved in the Latin rites.

2. But since the use of the mother tongue, whether in the Mass, the administration of the sacraments, or other parts of the liturgy, frequently may be of great advantage to the people, the limits of its employment may be extended. This will apply in the first place to the readings and directives, and to some of the prayers and chants, according to the regulations on this matter to be laid down separately in subsequent chapters.

3. These norms being observed, it is for the competent territorial ecclesiastical authority mentioned in Art. 22, 2, to decide whether, and to what extent, the vernacular language is to be used; their decrees are to be approved, that is, confirmed, by the Apostolic See. And, whenever it seems to be called for, this authority is to consult with bishops of neighboring regions which have the same language.

Not very "Vat II-like" to dump Latin in '67, was it?

Frankly, I doubt that TC and its implementation by Cong. Rites will survive more than 2 years beyond the day that Francis assumes room temperature. And in the meantime--with some exceptions such as Cd. Cupich--most Bishops will quietly ignore it. Romanita can be played by more than one party.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw KARU27
  • dad29
    Pensions have been yanked from retired priests.

Priests that don't have good lawyers. That's a Federal law violation.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Those pensions are often in the form of annuities. There are no guarantees with annuities.
  • tandrews
    Good ideas don't require force.
    Thanked by 2CCooze tomjaw
  • CCoozeCCooze
    @markb : legitimate option

There's nothing quite laying saying, "you may only use this one legitimate option, and not that legitimate option" to show that you want someone to understand how equality of options work...
  • MarkB
    That can be turned around: if TLM adherents admit the legitimacy of the Novus Ordo Mass, then why do some of them absolutely refuse to ever attend Mass celebrated in that legitimate form because they will only attend Mass in their preferred form? There's nothing quite like absolutely refusing to participate in a legitimate form of the Church's prayer to show that you fully accept the legitimacy of that form of the Church's prayer.

And sometimes good ideas do require force. This brings up the recalcitrance of some TLM adherents, again. Pope Francis has determined that the restriction of past TLM liberties is for the sake of the greater good of the Church's unity and the reception of conciliar liturgical reform.

If good ideas didn't ever require force, then just wars wouldn't be necessary nor even a moral option. All you'd have to do is have a persuasive conversation with the enemy. I'm not comparing Traditionis Custodes to a just war. I'm merely refuting the assertion of the general principle "good ideas don't require force."
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Interestingly enough, all these quotes NWM is using" for... whatever result about personal conscience would make it seem like Francis, Cupich, et al are going against these priests' consciences with these insane mandates.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That can be turned around... There's nothing quite like absolutely refusing to participate in a legitimate form of the Church's prayer...
    The Vetus Ordo has never not been a legitimate form of the Church's prayer... Far more refuse to attend or offer this form of prayer than the other.
    Besides, there's a difference between having options and not utilizing them and being given "options," while told you may only utilize the one I tell you.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • MarkB
    As I previously explained, I suspect the requirement to celebrate Novus Ordo Masses versus populum is a temporary disciplinary measure intended to ensure that TLM groups that are being transitioned to the Novus Ordo Mass do not use ad orientem as a proxy expression of resistance to the predominant way that the Novus Ordo is celebrated.

If I were Cupich, I don't think I would have insisted on that pre/proscription, but he did and I'm trying to understand his rationale.

Look on the bright side: priests may still wear Roman/fiddleback chasubles and birettas when they celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass. Cupich said nothing about that.
  • CharlesW
    That can be turned around: if TLM adherents admit the legitimacy of the Novus Ordo Mass, then why do some of them absolutely refuse to ever attend Mass celebrated in that legitimate form because they will only attend Mass in their preferred form?

I found, in the days when I spent a year or so collecting signatures and petitions to get the local bishop (not the current one) to allow a TLM that Trads can speak out of both sides of their mouths. They had to agree that the NO is relevant, and an authentic mass. They did so publicly but privately said the NO wasn't legitimate. In other words, they lied to get what they wanted. There is some real duplicity in trad circles.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Charles, as I said above, you can't turn it around without the glaring observation that many/most "Trads" do go to NO Masses at times. Feel free to guess at whether or not most non/anti-trad(Mass)s attend or offer the TLM for any reason, at all.
  • CharlesW
    I can't say I know any anti trads. Most folks who go to NO masses don't care one way or the other what trads do or don't do. The only instances of negativity have been when trads try to take over the parish and run it, or otherwise disrupt parish routine.
  • Look on the bright side: priests may still wear Roman/fiddleback chasubles and birettas when they celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass. Cupich said nothing about that.

I don't see purple or any other indication that you're being sarcastic.

• As I previously explained, I suspect the requirement to celebrate Novus Ordo Masses versus populum is a temporary disciplinary measure intended to ensure that TLM groups that are being transitioned to the Novus Ordo Mass do not use ad orientem as a proxy expression of resistance to the predominant way that the Novus Ordo is celebrated.

If I were Cupich, I don't think I would have insisted on that pre/proscription, but he did and I'm trying to understand his rationale.

If that's the rationale, it's a weak one.

One simply cannot compare use of a different Missal altogether, permitted under specific conditions, with a legal option in the Ordinary Form which has always been present. Summorum Pontificum was an olive branch to groups desiring use of the older Missal which was later retracted with Traditionis Custodes; therefore, such action may have been justified under the grounds that those groups were resisting the mandate for reform. Celebration ad orientem was never a mere concession and was always intrinsic to the rite, so its use can never truly represent a denial of the Church's authority or Vatican II's call for reform.

Furthermore, one could make this case for any number of "traditionalist" shibboleths: receiving Communion on the tongue and/or while kneeling, the Roman Canon, use of a Latin Ordinary or the entire Mass in Latin, sung readings, etc. None of these are the "predominant way that the Novus Ordo is celebrated", but I'm sure you would agree that a blanket requirement for all Catholics in a certain diocese to receive on the hand once a month would be outrageous.

There is no way that this will cement unity as TC calls for; it will only strengthen attitudes against the Ordinary Form that were already present and contradict TC's explicit call for its legitimate enrichment.
  • How does one enrich that which came into existence by impoverishment, for the purpose of impoverishing others?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Nathan - NB I am not a lawyer, and this may not be the best way of expressing the idea :- the declaration that a liturgical document is editio typica means that it is the original from which copies are to be made. The 1965 instruction lists changes to be made, such as omit Ps 42 at the foot of the altar, the decree declares that here is a Missal editio typica with the changes. The 1967 instruction listed changes, but left printers/publishers [and owners of Missals] to make the changes. Legally, the decree Per Instructionem alteram [18 May 1967] says that the alterations as published on 4 May 1967 (Tres abhinc annos)) by order of Paul VI are for 'the exact observance by all concerned', but the resultant amended text is not embodied in the usual editio typica.
    https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2013/11/several-historical-postconciliar.html#.YcroDWjP3IU
  • rich_enough
    A comment I saw on the Catholic Culture site tells a different story:
    "I am not a TLM advocate, but as did many of my contemporaries, I learned the Latin Mass by heart and am reasonably competent in classical Latin. I fully accept the Novus Ordnung [sic], as imperfect as it is. What I cannot accept is the vindictiveness behind the current suppression of the TLM, contrary to prior popes AND Vatican II. My sister, who has not had an easy life, takes great comfort in the TLM. What kind of man would deprive her and others of the comfort the TLM?"

I would love if Cdl. Cupich could write to this woman, giving her the "pastoral" reasons why he's depriving her of what she loves, and what was for centuries considered the apex of Catholic life and culture. If he's worried it's being hijacked by disobedient radicals, let him oppose them and their ideas. Instead he deprives people like this woman of what she loves and what is fully Catholic.
  • While there are many things posted over the past two days to which I would like to respond, I see it as a fruitless endeavor, and I will restrain myself to what I expect will be my last comment on this thread.

To start with—I profess that I shall continue repeating this until the day I die:
    "What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful."

There is no way of circumventing, nor ignoring this truth. No matter how hard the powers that be in Rome try to legislate and “abrogate” their way around it, it will never not be true.

Play all the mind games you want; ascribe all the infallible, limitless power you want to a council that specifically (per Paul VI) didn’t issue a single anathema or make a single dogmatic pronouncement, and was officially billed as “pastoral” (whatever that means)… don your blindfolds, if you must, to avoid seeing the destruction of the church, and to feel good about charging headlong towards the liturgical abyss despite the umpteen markers all saying “WARNING! Bridge out ahead!”

But remember: the onus of the burden of proof is upon that which is new, not that which is old. It has been the most magnificent(!) spectacle to watch how the modernists have inverted this perennial maxim, supposedly thrusting the burden of proof & justification upon those who maintain the more ancient rites and traditions. (All under the misguided (literally) guise of “obedience”.)

And what of obedience to immemorial custom and Tradition? What of that? I say!

Everything new to the church has been scrutinized; some things for literally centuries. To make the absurd claim that that which is beyond reproach (TLM) after over a millennia (some say a millennia-and-a-half) of refinement and living tradition is somehow bad or abrogated (or even merely superseded) simply doesn’t hold. And in the scale of church time, the Novus Ordo is hardly a blip on the radar.

There is an ancient anecdote that the people of Rome rioted in the streets when Gregory the Great tried to make a few tweaks to the Mass in the 600’s. Supposedly they shouted, “how dare you mess with the Canon!” (so well was it known and codified even by then). May those saints of old intercede for us now.

Kyrie eleison.
  • If the authorities are serious about fulfilling the mandate of TC, they should provide a replacement Latin Mass said ad orientem using the 2011 Missal for every community that currently uses the 1962. Then we can judge who merely wished for an oasis away from liturgical nonsense, who has serious issues with the revision of the Missal as promulgated, and who outright rejects the mandate for liturgical reform. I would wager it is a small minority of those attending the "TLM" who quibble with the difference in Missals; for most of them, it is the use of the Latin language, liturgical solemnity and awareness, properly ecclesiastical music, and the guarantee that all of the above are not subject to the whims of a new priest that draw them to these communities. None of these are necessarily exclusive to the 1962 Missal, and their use on celebrations of the 2011 would do much to mend the rift between the two liturgical factions.

Unfortunately, I question if this will happen when and where it should.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    they should provide a replacement Latin Mass

I've posted this before, when I sang in the choir of St. Mary's in Akron, Ohio (1977-2010) and until around 2005, we celebrated one Sunday out of the month, at one mass time, 10am with choir, a Novus Ordo mass which included Latin. We used a small booklet as a guide, it contained Latin on one side and English on the other. This booklet was published in 1970, so the English translation in the booklet is outdated and would have to be updated. I'm sure something modern could be produced. Use this as a template.

TC does not get rid of Latin, only the celebration in an older form. In my current parish we celebrate ad orientem during Advent and Lent. The priest doesn't need permission to do this, anymore than the deacon needs permission to sing the Kyrie, or the Alma Redemptoris Mater after the final blessing. The current Roman Missal and the GIRM allow for Latin.

It seems to me, every time there is a discussion about using chant or Latin in the mass, most of you start quoting from Vatican II documents. If those of you who want Latin in your mass, you'll have to work within the guidelines of the Vatican II documents you love to quote from. Make a proposal to your pastor or bishop, suggest as a start, one mass a month when Latin can be used and according to what is allowed by VII. Do so respectfully and with holiness.

It's going to be painful and hurtful at times, for yourselves and parishioners who aren't used to change. All of you will be walking the narrow path together which is never easy.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • If the authorities are serious about fulfilling the mandate of TC, they should provide a replacement Latin Mass said ad orientem using the 2011 Missal for every community that currently uses the 1962. Then we can judge who merely wished for an oasis away from liturgical nonsense, who has serious issues with the revision of the Missal as promulgated, and who outright rejects the mandate for liturgical reform. I would wager it is a small minority of those attending the "TLM" who quibble with the difference in Missals; for most of them, it is the use of the Latin language, liturgical solemnity and awareness, properly ecclesiastical music, and the guarantee that all of the above are not subject to the whims of a new priest that draw them to these communities. None of these are necessarily exclusive to the 1962 Missal, and their use on celebrations of the 2011 would do much to mend the rift between the two liturgical factions.

Schoenbergian,

The mandate of TC is the extermination of any form of the Roman Rite older than the most progressive reforms of Bugnini. '65 and '67 are simply non-starters.

The good Cardinal Archbishop of Chicago won't permit ad orientem because it is, really, ad Deum.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • tomjaw
    @Don9of11
    We are not giving the Traditional rite up it is ours forever... We are not giving our ancient calendar up, we are not giving the ancient Divine office up, we are not giving up the traditional devotions, we will continue using it in its entirety.

The only thing that will continue to decline is the N.O. here in Europe, we still have no vocations, our seminary is still closed and we need to replace 100's of priests that are all coming up to retirement within the next few years.

The French in one diocese have been banned from the churches so say Mass up against the doors! I don't worry, "They have the (empty) buildings, we have the Faith".

N.B. The SSPX are still around and still have faculties given to them by Francis.
  • dad29
    he did and I'm trying to understand his rationale.

The rationale is pure spite. There is no 'rational' explanation at all.
  • dad29
    There is some real duplicity in trad circles.

Shall we talk about 'liberal' Bishops who prevaricate about their priests' peccadillos?

To state that "some people lie" is sorta like saying "the sun rises in the East."
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • CharlesW

To state that "some people lie" is sorta like saying "the sun rises in the East."

Well, they did lie. One person I charitably call a nut, swore to the then bishop he fully supported the NO mass and the reforms following Vatican II. This was the guy who objected when "a Novus Ordo" cookie was used for Benediction instead of a host consecrated at a TLM. I will say again what I have often said, obnoxious behavior on the part of TLM goers is largely responsible for the negative reactions they are now receiving.

The sun rises in the east - the direction we are all, both priest and people, should be traditionally facing during mass. Not some so-called "liturgical east" which is actually west. Get your directions straight.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • I can’t stop myself.
    I will say again what I have often said, obnoxious behavior on the part of TLM goers is largely responsible for the negative reactions they are now receiving.
    And there are two damn good reasons people seek to take refuge in the TLM and reject the novus ordo: liturgical and theological abuse.

Clown masses. Eucharistic irreverence. The stripping of our historic churches. Awful, pseudo-secular music. Outright disdain for Latin. Iconoclasm. Outright heresy from the pulpit. Sacreligion.

So don’t talk to me about “obnoxious behavior”! Ha!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Never in my 74 years have I seen a clown mass. I suspect I never will. "Clown mass" is like the word "racist" that liberals use when they have no better arguments to offer.

Heresy from the pulpit? You could have heard it 1500 years ago as well as any time since. The TLM is no defense against heresy.
  • KARU27
    Never in my 74 years have I seen a clown mass. I suspect I never will. "Clown mass" is like the word "racist" that liberals use when they have no better arguments to offer.

Heresy from the pulpit? You could have heard it 1500 years ago as well as any time since. The TLM is no defense against heresy.

I notice you left out the phrase "Eucharistic irreverence".
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CCooze
  • WendiWendi
    Nevermind.
  • CharlesW
    They just don't want an online presence so I try to respect that.

You know, there is nothing wrong with that.

Not that the TLM can't be abused...it's just more frequent at the Mass of Paul VI

Anything can be abused. Sometimes I wonder if the abuse is deliberate or just a result of poor formation of priests in the seminaries. It seems to me some of the younger priests are better trained than those who went through seminaries in the 80s and 90s. Exceptions abound, so not hard and fast.

"Eucharistic irreverence"

Meaning what? If there is actually some profanation going on, that is one thing. If the form of receiving and handling the sacred species is not exactly like it was in the TLM, that is largely meaningless. Communion in the hand is not an abuse but a restoration of an early church practice. While elements of the TLM go back to ancient times, much of the choreography, rubrics, vestments, etc. date from the Renaissance. If the church decided how it wanted those things done in the Renaissance, it doesn't mean the church can't decide to do things differently at a future time.
  • dad29
    Get your directions straight.

Mine is just fine. YOU are the Eastern here. /snark
  • CharlesW

Mine is just fine. YOU are the Eastern here.

Yes, but we aren't the ones who are directionally confused.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I almost exclusively tend the Novus Ordo, and yet, I am what most in my area (Western MA) would call a "Trad". As a liturgical construct I prefer the Vetus Ordo, because of its ancientness (yes, it goes back beyond the council of Trent), and its "given-ness": That is, you know exactly what you are getting.

There are some things in the N.O. that I do think are improvements:
    1) Getting rid of the lengthy Psalm at the 'lavabo';
    2) Adding ferial readings to the lectionary;
    3) The 34 weeks of Ordinary Time are a much more elegant solution to the problem of the shifting date of Easter rather than the resumed "Sundays after Epiphany";
    4) Placing the Solemnity of Christ the King as the culminating feast of the Liturgical Year on the Sunday Next Before Advent.

Then there are reforms that really don't make much difference to me at all: like saying the Canon aloud. I prefer it said sotto voce so that I have time to contemplate the mystery taking place, and so that I am not distracted by the often overly-dramatic way in which it is said by the priest.

Then there are reforms that I really don't understand or care for, and yes, some of these go back to the first Modern revision of the Missal in 1955:
    1) I am not a fan of the six overlapping cycles of the lectionary: 3 Sundays, 2 weekdays, and 1 sanctoral: A one-year cycle, in my opinion, is good enough.
    2) Do we really need 10+ Eucharistic prayers? I thought that Bugnini was against "useless repetitions"?
    3) Was it truly necessary to suppress Septuagesimatide or the Ember Days or the Rogation Days? Every serious Catholic I know seems to say every year that Ash Wednesday snuck up on them: Septuagesimatide would be a good way to get people out of the December/January "Christmas Mode" and remind them that Lent cometh. We're supposed to be thinking more about being "good stewards of the ecology" or whatever the phrase is, so why not re-introduce the special days of penance at the commencement of the Four Seasons (Ember Days), or the days connected with planting (Rogation Days).
    4) If we're supposed to "go back to the early Church", why suppress really ancient things like folded chasubles for lesser ministers in penitential seasons?
    5) If Pentecost is the "Birthday of the Church" and "Roman Catholics Don't talk about the Holy Spirit enough", why suppress the Octave of Pentecost? (Even Paul VI can't answer that one!)
    6) Why get rid of the Commemoration of Our Lady of Sorrows on Friday of the Passion Week (the Fifth Week of Lent)? Or the commemoration of the instruments of the Passion on the Fridays of Lent?
    7) Why move Corpus Christi (a recapitulation of Holy Thursday) to Sunday, and suppress the Octave?
    8) Why truncate the Kyrie?
    9) Why suppress the priest's preparatory prayers? At the very least the prayer said while ascending the steps and the prayer said while venerating the altar should have been retained: I mean, the priest still needs to enter the sanctuary and still needs to venerate the altar, what harm would their retention have been?.
    10) Why change the offertory? What we had was sublimely beautiful, AND formed the priest's intention in a way that the new ones do not.
    11) The Three options (without any reason why to use one or another at different times) for the memorial acclamation is dumb: How can the people make a response in unison if none of them know which one another is going to say?

I have often thought about putting together a "Missa Normativa" of what my ideal "reformed" Mass of Vatican II would be: But basically the Ordinariate has already done that. Much of the reform seems to me to have been based on the principle: Something needs to change, this is different, therefore we must do it. The one thing in Sacrosanctum Concilium that seems to have been overlooked by Bugnini & Co. is the clause: "No changes are to be made unless the good of the people genuinely requires them."
  • a_f_hawkins
    "Why TC? what is the rationale?" Just a guess on my part, based on rumours. :
    Said to be mainly pushed for by US bishops who think they see a political attempt to divide the church by certain very rich people who dissent from the teaching of Vatican II, and are using the TLM as a stalking horse.
    Looking at the USA only through the internet, I certainly see some rabid right wing "Catholic" blogging. And I see in US politics a general lack of regard for truth, and the way in which huge sums of money are spent on political advertising, by all sides, in which very little is true.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen

Unfortunately, I question if this will happen when and where it should.

Is there a market for this? I am all for such a mass existing. My parish at one time had a Latin, ad orientem Novus Ordo weekday daily Mass. It was not as well attended as our other weekday daily Masses. It seemed to me that it wasn't what the trads wanted and wasn't what the Novus Ordo folks wanted. My parish moved it to a Saturday morning and now I'm not sure about the current attendance.

I enjoyed this Mass and would like to have more access to such a liturgy. I wish that trads would spend their energy pushing for a Latin, ad orientem Novus Ordo.

Real question: how many of you on here would be equally satisfied with a chanted, Latin, ad orientem Novus Ordo as you would be with a TLM? Or at least sufficiently satisfied?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Salieri, thank you, I share much of that opinion. My feeling about the EP/Canon is different, I find it helps focus to hear it (and have felt that since 1967), and that the abundance of options can, if well chosen, give me spiritual sustenance.
    One thing I would add is the readings delivered to the congregation, this and the homily seem to me the most important of all the changes. Trent called for teaching to be undertaken during the Mass, but the 1570 Missal did not deliver. (Session XXII, chapter VIII)
  • I second Hawkins on the Eucharistic prayer. EP1 is one of the most beautiful pieces of prose in the liturgy. When the priest gets to the words "In humble prayer we ask you, almighty God: command that these gifts be borne by the hands of your holy Angel to your altar on high in the sight of your divine majesty," I actually get chills down my spine.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • dad29
    @Salieri......another commenter NOT on this board suggests that the older Orations should be restored (before the readings, and after Communion.) Reading the 'old' and comparing to the 'new' it is clear: there are significant and meaningful differences.

Further, why not restore the older 'no organ during Lent except Laetare' rule--or at least no organ during Holy Week (except for the Gloria of Holy Thurs. and then taking it up again at the Gloria of Holy Saturday)?

There's a lot to be said about the use and NON-use of instruments, symbolically. And congregations can sing just fine without organ, given a decent cantor/ette.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • The GIRM restricts the usage of the organ and other instruments during Advent, Lent, and the Triduum in the OF.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Looking at the USA only through the internet, I certainly see some rabid right wing "Catholic" blogging

And then there are very mainstream left-wing(?) sites like America Magazine... which do you think has more followers?
    Surely, Fr. Zuhlsdorf and ChurchMilitant and OnePeterFive still don't equate to the amount of people getting bad, anti-Traditional, sometimes anti-Catholic-teaching information as what is found at America or National catholic Reporter?!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • And then there are very mainstream left-wing(?) sites like America Magazine... which do you think has more followers?
    Surely, Fr. Zuhlsdorf and ChurchMilitant and OnePeterFive still don't equate to the amount of people getting bad, anti-Traditional, sometimes anti-Catholic-teaching information as what is found at America or National catholic Reporter?!

Anyone have hard data on this? I think the trad blogs have a larger audience than the National Catholic Reporter for sure and probably competitive with America.

I think this because I frequently see content from trad blogs posted on social media, rarely content from America, and almost never content from the Reporter.
  • tomjaw
    @contemporaryworship92
    Social media is something mainly used by the younger generations, which might give a clue as to why we see more social media interactions for 'Trad' materials.

Traditionalists have long used new technology to produce materials, mainly because we had to, the N.O. church has the 'catholic' publishers, and the majority for now of the sales. Although over the last few years most of the Traditional books are now in print.

Having your phone as your Missal, Divine Office and prayer book has advantages.
    e.g.
    http://uvoc.org/Propers/Propers_2011/Propers_Calendar.html
    https://www.divinumofficium.com
    http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/propers.html
    http://www.gregorianbooks.com/propers.html

N.B. I grew up in a parish with a Latin N.O. Mass, with both a chant and Polyphonic choir. When a new parish priest removed the Latin, I resigned from the Altar servers and joined the choir, when the choir was forced to sing modern English music. I left my parish and joined the parish with the Traditional Mass. I did not realise at the time what the TLM had to offer, I would not go back to the Latin N.O.

Fortunately the SSPX is not too far and we already share choir members and parishioners. When the SSPX priests caught Covid a few weeks ago, half the SSPX only parishioners came to our Masses!
  • I have followed this thread for some time now and, in all honesty, I'm put off by the uncharitable language and fierce stances that some people put forward here. I've hesitated to add anything to the discussion, doubtful it would be useful, but I feel that a necessary point of view is still missing.

I would like to propose a hermeneutic of pastoral care when it comes to reading documents like Ecclesia Dei afflicta, Summorum Pontificum and Traditionis custodes. Every one of these documents had in mind the special pastoral care of a small portion of the faithful (‘in favorem omnium fidelium id petentium adhiberent’). For them the celebration of the 1962 liturgical books was granted as an exception, for their particular spiritual well-being and for the good of the Church as a whole.

The 1962 Roman Missal has never been abrogated
    No, not as an absolute. Whenever a new typical edition of a liturgical book is promulgated, its former edition becomes void. The 2008 editio typica tertia emendata replaces the 2002 editio typica tertia, which in turn replaced the 1975 editio typica altera, etc. There is no need for a decree to explicitly state that, promulgation has that effect automatically. The 1962 Roman Missal was supplanted by the 1970 Roman Missal by the decree Celebrationis eucharisticae of March 26 1970.
    For the continuous use of the 1962 Roman Missal it's the other way around: for pastoral reasons its use was explicitly granted as an exception to the regular liturgical life of the Church for a small number of faithful still adhered to the previous liturgical expression. It's a gift, a provision out of pastoral care. That was the case with Ecclesia Dei afflicta, Summorum Pontificum and, for that matter, Traditionis custodes.
    In no way was this pastoral provision ever intended as an admonition to a wider use in general of the 1962 Roman Missal or a promotion of the former rites. There have never been two rites (or two forms of a single rite) that were equal to each other or interchangeable or competing with each other. The 1970, 1975, 2002 and 2008 editions of the Roman Missal have subsequently been the unique expression of the Roman rite, the 1962 edition was from 1970 onwards allowed by way of exception, out of pastoral care, under varying conditions. It is in this sense that Summorum Pontificum stated that the 1962 Roman Missal was never abrogated.

What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful.
    This quotation of Joseph Ratzinger is usually taken out of its context. The two times Ratzinger used these or similar words (Salz der Erde (1996), p. 144 and letter accompanying Summorum Pontificum (2007), 7), they were always part of his particular wish that the former rites be more generously granted to faithful that still adhered to it. It's not harmful to celebrate the 1962 rites, yes, just as it cannot be spiritually harmful to celebrate according to the Ordo Romanus I. These words of Ratzinger are a defense or a rationale of the pastoral provision given by Summorum Pontificum. They explain how a small group of faithful can legitimately celebrate according to already superseded liturgical books (so, in an aberrant way) without losing the spiritual goods and the grace of the sacraments celebrated.

Whenever a pastoral act makes you feel angry or insurgent, or seems unfair or harsh to you, it's time for introspection and reflection.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Anyone have hard data on this? I

Go here: https://www.similarweb.com/search/?q=wdtprs
    click on the wdtprs website ; click on "compare"
    NCR is nearly 5 times larger
    One could get obsessed with this! NCRegister & NCReporter are neck and neck.
    Thanked by 1stulte
  • >> “It's not harmful to celebrate the 1962 rites,”
    No, but there are those who maintain that this is so.

>> it cannot be spiritually harmful to celebrate according to the Ordo Romanus I.”

Well.. this will take some time but I hope you will scroll up and read again of all the devastations since the lex orandi was changed, and try honestly to judge by the fruits,
  • stulte
    Whenever a pastoral act makes you feel angry or insurgent, or seems unfair or harsh to you, it's time for introspection and reflection.

Or, it could simply mean that you're dealing with a brown-eye-guy in more ways than one.