A Catholic Choirbook
  • francis
    Sometimes the worst press is the best exposure
  • GavinGavin
    Frankly, there is some bad music in there. But if we really had choirs good enough to not sing the bad stuff, we wouldn't need the book! And from what I saw, the good music outnumbers the bad. I think it's a superb product, and I only wish it didn't have such an unfortunate title so I could use it at my Episcopalian church!
  • Yes, there is bad music in there that Catholics love.

Maybe we could sell it with matching duct tape to cover up the word Catholic....but it's time for Catholic's once again to have their own books with just a little bad music in them!

Thanks Gavin, for an honest critique!
  • GavinGavin
    And don't start me on the old Concord Anthem Book that my choir uses... It's great music with horrid translations of the Latin and too many editorial markings.
  • I'm a real fan of the Oxford Easy [NOT] Anthem book...
  • CharlesW
    I like the Oxford book, and it is not easy - at least some of it isn't.

The choirbook has some good stuff in it, too. I am looking at "See Amid the Winter's Snow" for midnight mass, Christmas Eve. We have been locked away from our music cabinets while the church basement is being remodeled. This year, we are going to have about one month less to practice for Christmas because of that. Easy is good!
  • francis
    Hmmm. I haven't even had a chance to look at it except for a glance, but bad is a relative term when you are running from 'Let's Just Praise the Lord.'
  • A "bad" mention is great advertising because people will take time to have a look to see "how" bad it is!
  • It only takes the right curmudgeon to say something monstrous for everyone else to realise there must be value in what the curmudgeon is savaging.

As far as using the Catholic Choirbook in the Episcopalian Church, I do not see that there would be a problem since Episcopalians profess faith every Sunday in "One, holy Catholic and Apostolic Church". As a layman and later as a deacon and priest in the Anglican Communion, the churches I was a part of in the States and in Scotland, England, and Portugal, often made use of selections out of old Catholic hymnals along with the Anglican standards.
  • See Amid is really, really fun....a light-voiced soloist or section on the verses and the entire choir coming in like blazes on the chorus! Gang busters!

I've added a bit of flash for the organist on the last time through. Fun, fun piece.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Should I send them complimentary copies? I just might.

Yes. To their parishes.
    Neglect to put their names on the label so it gets opened by the parish secretary
    and can be shared around the office before getting properly routed.
    The next day send an unsigned handwritten effusive thank you note
    with apologies for neglecting to include the Invoice, which is enclosed with the note.
    The Invoice deserves red PAID hand stamps
    next to the credit card number that--for safety--is all Xs,
    and next to the Grand Total.
    Of course items Vol 2, Vol 3, Vol 4 are indicated "Backordered"
    and you have handwritten "Backordered items are only billed when shipped".
    Be sure to save a copy of your artwork. :-)
  • Just added a first page link to choirs that are singing from The Catholic Choirbook.

Visit the site to add your choir. It would be a big help to us!

The Catholic Choirbook
  • A while back we flew past the 110th free download of the Choirbook.

If you are using it, please email me with the name of your choir and location so that I might add it to the directory. noeljones@usit.net

It's a little surprising but exciting that many of the downloads are going outside the USA....

And, every download is accompanied by a note that encourages them to visit Musica Sacra for the music, information and forum. Thanks to all!