“Dada…that’s Jesus music”
  • miacoyne
    Gregorian Chant Will Save the World

“A few weeks ago, I was sitting at the computer while my two-year-old son noisily played with some tupperware behind me. I clicked on a link to listen to a song from “Angels and Saints at Ephesus”, a new CD by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles (which, incidentally, has been tearing up the Classical music charts). The beautiful, a capella voices of the Sisters came softly over the computer speakers as they began a Gregorian chant in Latin.Suddenly, I noticed that the banging of tupperware behind me had stopped.

I turned to see my two-year-old, standing, staring at the computer, eyes wide open and mouth slightly agape. He took a few steps forward, and then said, breathlessly: “Dada…that’s Jesus music.”

I was stunned. How on earth did he know that? (Our parish certainly doesn’t do any chanting at the N.O. Mass we attend…). He crawled up into my lap, and we listened to the rest of the chant together. And then we listened to it again. And then again. And then again. My boy was totally captivated, totally transfixed, totally enraptured…each time the chant would come to an end, he would look up at me and plead “again, Dada?”

I bought the album, and now every night my son asks to listen to the “Jesus music” as he falls asleep…

more here

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/06/guest-post-gregorian-chant-will-save-the-world/

May we have pure hearts of the children who recognize the pure beauty of Heaven..
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Beautiful! Children take to Gregorian chant like ducks to water, and it's not surprising since they are so lately recently come from their Father in Heaven! A friend of mine, a former Benedictine chant master of many years, has said many times that he was utterly and completely convinced that Gregorian chant was composed by angels.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Great story. I have one similar where my (then) 4yr old, who had no experience of chant in a church setting, heard a chant on the radio and said, "That sounds like church."
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • ronkrisman
    it's not surprising since they are so lately come from their Father in Heaven!

Most interesting. However, the doctrine that our immortal souls pre-existed our human conception is not taught by the Church.

The Church also does not teach that very young children who die turn into angels, a view which appears to be held by a number of Catholics.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Church also does not teach that very young children who die turn into angels, a view which appears to be held by a number of Catholics.

Or that anybody who dies turns into an angel, a view held by a number of people who get their theology from movies, but taught by absolutely no Christian church or denomination I am aware of.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Chris Allen
  • Andrew_Malton
    However their souls are new, and fresh from God the Father indeed, even if not pre-existing. They desire the true spiritual milk, and if baptized they are free of the taint of original sin and not yet guilty of personal sin. Pretty good, eh?

(re below: me neither)
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not getting that JulieColl thinks, or even unintentionally implies, that children's souls exist prior to conception or that humans who go to Heaven turn into angels. "Recently" might be a better word that "lately", but perhaps extending a little slack to Julie is in order.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Oh c'mon- Fr. Ron is just pouncing on the slightest possibility of doctrinal error, whether it exists or not. Clearly, he is starting to fit in here.
  • BenBen
    Hahahaha!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the correction, Father, and thanks, Andrew M. and Scott for the intervention! My husband is also very good at keeping me from lapsing into heresy.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    A friend of mine, a former Benedictine chant master of many years, has said many times that he was utterly and completely convinced that Gregorian chant was composed by angels. Totally agree.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, after the Second Vatican Council he was assigned the task of converting the Latin texts to English at his monastery, and after trying diligently for several years, he had to give up the project. He came to the conclusion that the melodies and text were so interwoven that it was impossible to separate them; it was after this intensive study that he decided Gregorian chant must be of divine origin, at least in part.

(Oops--angelic origin, I mean, since the angels aren't divine--that's probably a heresy, too.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Great story. I have one similar where my (then) 4yr old, who had no experience of chant in a church setting, heard a chant on the radio and said, "That sounds like church."

It's so funny that you mention that, Scott, since we were having the same discussion on the Chant Café yesterday regarding the LifeTeen Mass phenomenon. I said it was probably a basic human instinct that allowed people, even very small children, to differentiate between truly sacred vs profane music, but the other commenters strongly disagreed.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I would agree that the Latin words and melodies are too intertwined for a satisfactory outcome. I know of a project here in the midwest where a number of musicians and chant experts tried to do the same thing you describe. They tried for a number of years and finally gave up. Cal Shenk (my chant teacher) used to say that any group interested in singing the original melodies of these gorgeous chants is probably not interested in singing in English anyway so why try so hard to force a thetic language into an arsic?. Perhaps adapting a sound of GC with a more simple thetic melody works best for English. As for the beautiful original melodies, they should be sung in Latin.
  • CharlesW
    Chants have been successfully translated into English and have been sung beautifully for 500 years, by the Anglicans.
  • Andrew_Malton
    In 1513 no-one was singing the liturgy in English.

Fifty years later they were, but not Gregorian.

I think the idea of actually trying to sing Gregorian melodies to Anglican English dates from the later nineteenth century.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    Regardless of when they started, the Anglicans do it so well!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm of the opinion that people who make pseudo-scholarly claims to the effect that the original melodies simply CANNOT be used with English are hoity-toity school marm poseurs, the sort of people who make up grammar rules that have nothing to do with precedent or natural usage. (It is the sort of thing up with which I will not put.)

It's been done, successfully, several times.

"But those attempts weren't successful, based on the rules I just explained about how it can't be done."

No. Begging the question.

Begone, J. Evans Pritchard, PhD!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    (Edward) Caswall (1814-1878) is best known for his translations from the Roman Breviary and other Latin sources, which are marked by faithfulness to the original and purity of rhythm. They were published in Lyra Catholica, containing all the breviary and missal hymns (London, 1849). He was an Angican clergyman until 1850, when he converted to Catholicism.

The following two examples appeared in The Hymnal 1940. I'm not sure when they first appeared in English hymnals.

"Come, thou Holy Spirit, come" (The Golden Sequence, Pentecost)
    "O saving Victim, op'ning wide" (St. Thomas Aquinas)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Dada.... that's music? Jesus."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDrm29YuzfY
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • ronkrisman
    AW, what a wonderful find! I had never heard of Savinio. You no doubt were thinking of the fourth movement of this suite of his and how it relates to earlier comments on this thread, no? I'm referring to the movement entitled, "The Slaughtered Angels."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You honor me with your assumptions.

I was really just making a joke about Dada-ism, because I thought about it every time I read the thread title. Any other associations are happy coincidence.

But it is a neat piece of music, actually.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that our souls exist prior to conception. Still, having two young ones of my own, I do believe that they are more in tune with God and can perhaps even see or hear their guardian angel (who very well may have sang to them in the womb). On more than one occasion I've observed my babies gazing at something I could not see and seemingly carrying on a conversation that I could not comprehend. Why else would Jesus exhort us to become like little children?

I have also observed very young infants react to chant as if it was somehow familiar. I don't think there is any doubt that at least it raises our mind to contemplate God.
    Thanked by 3JulieColl CHGiffen MHI
  • francis
    Adam

IMHO that piece by Savinio is

Rhythmic organized noise.
  • GavinGavin
    Isn't all music?
  • francis
    Well, no... To create authentic music requires talent, mastery of theoretical principles, intellect, and the daring and discipline of an artistic spirit.
  • GavinGavin
    Which Savino clearly has.

Not everyone, however, has enough of those qualities to appreciate it.
  • francis
    He may have had what you insist, for you may be more knowledgeable of his entire body of work; I am not... but that piece does not exhibit any of what I am talking about.
  • francis
    perhaps you could give us something from him that does?
  • ronkrisman
    francis, WIKI has a significant entry for Alberto Savinio.

I like what Guillaume Apollinaire once said of Savinio's piano playing:
    I was surprised and beguiled; Savinio mistreated his instrument so much that after each piece the keyboard had to be cleared of chips and splinters. I foresee that within two years he will have gutted every piano in Paris. Savinio will then go on to destroy every piano in the universe, which may be a true liberation.

That would at least address the issue of piano-based music in Catholic worship.
  • francis
    Read the wiki on him...

Listened to half of this on Youtube (a waste of my (and especially Tollo's) time)

Alberto Savinio: Les chants de la mi-mort
    ByGiacomo Di Tollo117 views

He writes a perfect symphony describing the human condition without God.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Really guys/gals?
    Yada yada
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yada yada

Dada. Dada.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Latin is an arsic language and English is thetic. The original melodies were written for the Latin. It is not being hoity-toity to say the melodies work better with Latin just like it isn't hoity toity to say that Puccini's melodies work better with Italian.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "work better in x" is different than "do not work at all in y"
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's easy to fit English words to a Gregorian hymn tune, but other kinds of GC really marry the words and melody.

Fascinating perspective. The opposite seems true to me: a metrical hymn translation requires adhering to the poetic meter of the original, no small feat. However, prose chants (such as the Propers) would admit to all sorts of liberties without losing the original melody.

My opinion is that this business of whether vernacular adaptations "work" or not is largely cultural, and not linguistic:
    -Gregorian hymn tunes work well in English because we are used to hearing poetic English texts set to music of all sorts.
    -The soloistic chants of the Proper don't seem to work in English (to some people) because it seems weird to both (a) know the language being sung fluently and (b) hear it elongated to the point of near incomprehensibility.

Are we to supose that:
    "Hae----------c di-----------es, quam feci-----------t Dominu-------------s: exsulte--------------------mu-----------s et laete---mu----r in e--a-------------------------------------------------------"

somehow sounded way more normal to a Latin speaker than

"Thi------------------s i---s the---- da-----------------y that the Lor-------------d ha--s-ma----de. Le-----t u-----s re---joi-------------------------------------ce a---nd be-------- gla-------------------------d i----------------------n i--t."

does to an English speaker?

Or should we assume that this manner of vowel elongation is somehow more suited to the Latin language than to English?

I think no, on both points.

"Oh, but Latin has pure vowels. English is a mess of consonants and diphthongs."

No.
    Reconstructed Ecclesiastical Latin, sung by professional singers, has pure vowels. The same can be done (and is done all the time) with English. The problem isn't the language, it's the singers and the hearers.

Latin has the benefit of being not used conversationally, so treating with linguistically ecstatic melodies, or pronouncing it in a way that emphasizes the beauty of the sound over the meaning of the words, does not seem at all strange because we have nothing to compare it to.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    If you are speaking to me Adam I said something about a satisfactory outcome, in any event what is the point of trying to re-invent the chant? We disagree, it doesn't make me hoity toity or you a dullard.
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We disagree, it doesn't make me hoity toity or you a dullard.

Are you sure? Many people probably think I am a dullard.

(You know- actually- I was thinking about these sorts of things yesterday and musing about some of the more fun arguments around here, and I thought- you know, what I want in life aren't people who agree with me, but people who have the wherewithal and interest to have an opinion one way or t'other. That someone disagrees with me about some detail of Sacred Music means that we are 99% more akin to each other than I am with all the people who can neither agree nor disagree. Anywho.....)

My issue is with two underlying beliefs which you (Ruth) or anyone else may (or may not) hold, and which I find problematic on a number of levels:
    1. English is, by nature, a deficient language
    2. Latin is, by nature, a special language

My perception is that most arguments against vernacular chant come down to one of those two ideas, both of which I strongly disagree with on grounds both of fact and principle.

In the case of the "married" chants, the melody and text together are the message. From this perspective, the English of Haec dies should be: "This day, which made [the] Lord: leap-for-joy-we and be-glad-we in it," with the same distribution of syllables as in the Latin text.

I also disagree with this.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    -Gregorian hymn tunes work well in English because we are used to hearing poetic English texts set to music of all sorts.
    -The soloistic chants of the Proper don't seem to work in English (to some people) because it seems weird to both (a) know the language being sung fluently and (b) hear it elongated to the point of near incomprehensibility.

Adam, thanks so much for this point. I was going to say yesterday that the Anglican chant hymns Charles suggested yesterday were excellent examples of how an English text could be married to the chant melody, and I looked in my Anglican hymnal and there are many more really beautiful converted chant hymns. (How about O come, O come Emmanuel or Creator of the stars of night?)

The only question I had yesterday was about converting the Propers from the Graduale to English and you've just very handily answered that question. I also tend to think it's a bit of a str-e-e-e-e-e-e-tch. : )
  • MHIMHI
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Adam I never said English is deficient, and yes Latin is a special language as is English. I wouldn't want to hear Shakespeare in Latin but I just love it in English. Yes some chants work well with English, the Simple English Propers are great and I have used them where I had to use English in the Mass. My point is that Gregorian Chant works best in Latin. If you do not have to sing the Propers in English then sing them in Latin, if you do, than you look for the best option. But to replace the Latin (and I know you did not say this) just because you feel like it is like stripping the altars and reminds me of the Cistercian Reform, but that is another topic of discussion.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Because? Tell me more!

Not a coherent argument, but off the top of my head...

The fact that word-order sometimes has to change when translating does not (in itself) suggest a loss of meaning.

The imbuing of Gregorian melodies with inherent content ("it goes up when they say 'high'" or "it flies like a dove when it's about the Holy Spirit") strikes me as an exercise in confirmation bias and cherry picking.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's funny you say that, Adam. I love reading Dom Johner's Chants of the Vatican Gradual, and he cautions quite frequently against finding "word-painting" in the Propers. He is very loathe to admit when a melodic passage illustrates the text, but once in a while even he will (rather begrudgingly) admit an instance or two of it. (It's always fun when he waxes lyrical since it happens so seldom.)
    Thanked by 2Gavin MarkThompson
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My point is that Gregorian Chant works best in Latin.

I don't disagree with that.

What I was reacting to with my hyperbolic hoity-toity straw-marms was this:
    assigned the task of converting the Latin texts to English at his monastery, and after trying diligently for several years, he had to give up the project

and this:
    a number of musicians and chant experts tried to do the same thing you describe. They tried for a number of years and finally gave up

which strikes me as ridiculous, as if THIS
    never existed.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    He is very loathe to admit when a melodic passage illustrates the text, but once in a while even he will (rather begrudgingly) admit an instance or two of it.

I think, given the size of the corpus, it's inevitable this will happen.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Perhaps Adam the difference in our thinking is that I believe the text and the rhythm of the text itself is integral to the melody. I find the English version of the Haec Dies awkward and truncated and the vowel sounds really do make a difference. The short English "i" is not the open "ah" which the composer (angel) had in mind when composing the melissma on line 3. But your English version is better than not having any chant at all and if that is what it takes for the music to be heard then I guess I will grudgingly allow it to exist. It won't be easy to convince the angles, but I will do my best. Have a happy day my dear.

I also think there are lots of examples of word painting in the Graduals and Alleluias so I guess I differ with Dom Johner as well... oh well.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I'll try to convince the angels as well.
  • francis
    English = local, ethnic (ghetto), grounded and ever changing
    Latin = universal, multi-cultural (global), transcendent and timeless

has nothing to do with quality, per se