“Dada…that’s Jesus music”
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As one can resonate with sympathy those equations, francis, they'll stop being maxims the day the first aliens make contact and we have the first extraterrestrial dialogue, which prithee I hope will be existentially positive.
    Besides, I'm rather pleased that English is the 21st century lingua franca for a great portion of the world, as I have little opportunity to practice my 8 years of German!
    You should read some of David Sedaris' little homilies on English in foreign lands.
  • Chants have been successfully translated into English and have been sung beautifully for 500 years, by the Anglicans.

I think it was one of the sisters of the Community of St. Mary
    (Episcopal, in NY state) who recalled meeting Thomas Merton (Fr.
    Louis) and describing her community's chanting of the Offices using
    Charles Winfred Douglas' chant adaptations to English. Merton
    apparently scoffed that it's impossible to chant English texts
    properly to the old psalm tones and chant melodies, and I think the
    sister showed him some examples as evidence that he was wrong. I
    don't remember reading whether he was swayed by this or not.

Anyway, they're one of a bunch of communities who have been Gregorian-chanting in English for a long time.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • While I appreciate the SEP and use them during Lent and for Communio, I, too, agree that Gregorian chant should be sung in Latin. The fluidity of the text just doesn't "work" in English. I am currently teaching my little children's choir about all the pure vowel sounds and they are picking it up well. Some of their English words now sound "off".
  • chonakchonak
    Latin just has prettier vowels, Adam, and fewer diphthongs.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    You know what I think is interesting about all of this? If we have a chant repertoire in Latin, and it works best that way because they were written with the Latin language in mind, why hasn't someone composed new chants in English? If this has happened, then it is just ignorance on my part, because I haven't heard of any new chants since the old Gregorian (Ambrosian, Orthodox, etc, as well) ones. One can make the chant fit the language, whatever that language may be. This, too has been done for centuries in music.

The way I look at it, the language is just the language. Some will lambaste me for saying that, but English is no less special in the world than Latin, just that Latin is the sacred language of the Church, just like Arabic is the sacred language of the Muslims. Therefore, we hold Latin in a higher regard than English, because it connects us to something higher than ourselves. When Latin was still in the world and widely spoken, it was just another language, like Breton, Frankish, or Gaulish, or some other Celtic language. The fact that it is sacred to us is our doing and that of the Church. That being said, it does not diminish its prominence in the Church as our sacred language, for it is one of the languages that Christ spoke when He was on this earth.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    why hasn't someone composed new chants in English?

cf. Anglicanism
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    Cf Bartlett, Cf Weber, Cf Esguerra, Cf Oost-Zinner
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

cf. The Shakers
    cf. The Quakers
    cf. The Candlestick-makers
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • cf. Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yeah, guys, that's why I followed the above quoted material with "if it has happened then it's just ignorance on my part." I didn't realize it had already been done, apparently quite extensively.
  • SalieriSalieri
    To my ear, English adaptations of Gregorian chant need to be done extremely cautiously. One cannot be slavish to the Gregorian orginals, and at the same time, one can also adapt too much and create basically a brand new composition. This is an art that cannot be learned very quickly. The hardest things I have done were English adaptations of DuMont's Royal Mass and 6th Mode Mass, and a now superceded 'Old ICEL' version of the Vidi Aquam.

This is one of the areas that makes the Plainchand Gradual, though admirably done, (I have a copy of the four volumes and do use them on occasion) on the whole a bit weak. There are often long melismas on odd words like 'is' or 'the', or sometimes on unaccented syllables. Many of these can be made better by inserting an extra punctum, or by breaking up, say, a torculus into a pes and a punctum, to make the melisma fall on the important word or an accented syllables.

The slavishness of many adaptations is what prompts many people to scoff at English Chant and turn away from it. When it is well done (e.g. Weber and Kelly) I find them to be very pleasant to sing, when they are too slavish they feel unnatural and are extremely unrewarding in both singing and hearing.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Merbecke's chants for the BCP are also quite nice. Do they exist in the New ICEL version?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There are often long melismas on odd words like 'is' or 'the', or sometimes on unaccented syllables. Many of these can be made better by inserting an extra punctum, or by breaking up, say, a torculus into a pes and a punctum, to make the melisma fall on the important word or an accented syllables.

I agree with this. It's so close to fantastic, and could really make do with some tweakoneering.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Fourth Communion Service in The Hymnal 1940, is an Anglican setting which comprises an adaptation of the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei from Mass IX (Cum jubilo), plus the Credo I, and an English plainsong Gloria. The settings from Mass IX are really quite good.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Adam Wood
  • I dislike psalm pointing in English that sticks slavishly to Latin rules. In English, we have an accent on the last syllable of a line far more often than Latin does, so I prefer pointings that allow the pitch to inflect on that last syllable and not come back down to the reciting note. Pointing that sticks to the Latin treats such lines by inflecting on the previous stressed syllable so the pitch can come back to the reciting note, and that results in some unnatural syllabic stress.

Example:

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole | HEART

is better than the (slavish)

I will give thanks to the Lord with my | WHOLE heart.

Undue stress on "whole" in the latter, Latinesque pointing. Sticking to the Latin rules also gives us inflections on syllables like "the," and "a."

I consider this adaptation essential in making English texts work with psalm tones.
  • Merbecke's chants for the BCP are also quite nice. Do they exist in the New ICEL version?

I haven't seen any modern-English Merbecke adaptations.

John Merbecke's setting was written for the 1549 original Book of Common Prayer and used the principle of one note to one syllable (no melismas). I think of his setting as the "native" music for the traditional BCP liturgies.

In my opinion, a similarly "native"-sounding setting for the modern BCP rites is David Hurd's New Plainsong. Don't know if Hurd intended to write with a similar reserve and economy of style as Merbecke, but I think he achieved it. It wears well, as Merbecke does, and seems like a very natural musical vocabulary for those texts.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I dislike psalm pointing in English that sticks slavishly to Latin rules. In English, we have an accent on the last syllable of a line far more often than Latin does, so I prefer pointings that allow the pitch to inflect on that last syllable and not come back down to the reciting note. Pointing that sticks to the Latin treats such lines by inflecting on the previous stressed syllable so the pitch can come back to the reciting note, and that results in some unnatural syllabic stress.

This comes up from time to time on the forum, and I am of the exact opposite line of thinking, for a number of reasons - one of them being the traditional Latin psalmtones are fairly standardized today - and the number and variety of English adaptations abounds. This is great in terms of innovation, but poor in terms of unity of expectation. They also vary greatly - some maintain the proper reciting tone - others turn every mode into a quasi "tonus peregrinus" with different reciting tones for the first and second half of each verse.

I'm also aware there were tons of different Latin psalm tones in use in the Gregorian age, and that the "standardization" of the ones we're used to are a relatively recent innovation. So be it - it doesn't change my argument there are still standard ones we're used to. So in the end, I stick with the Latin melodies - unaltered - when singing English psalmody.

The example you gave is a good one for discussion.

I will give thanks to the Lord with my | WHOLE heart.

This is exactly what happens. So here's the difference in my approach which I think keeps it acceptable to my ears. I keep the Latin psalmtone melodies the same, but I don't feel the melodic accent needs to line up with the accent of weight so prominent in English. Many argue that ecclesiastical Latin has no (or at least much less) weight accent than English either (that's a whole other can of worms), but if you subscribe to that, at least for this argument, it helps divorce melodic accent from weight accent.

I would still sing this (shall we say Mode VIII?) example with a bit of a weighted accent on "heart," and the melodic accent on "whole" would then turn into a preparatory melodic gesture for the accented word "heart."

Granted this means that on some verses the melodic accent shares the weight accent and sometimes it prepares for it, but if you know how to pronounce English, that's not really a problem, is it?
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • MarkThompson
    Granted this means that on some verses the melodic accent shares the weight accent and sometimes it prepares for it, but if you know how to pronounce English, that's not really a problem, is it?

Right. No different from all the Latin verses that end in things like "... genui te."
    Thanked by 3SkirpR Gavin CHGiffen
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Right. No different from all the Latin verses that end in things like "... genui te."

I admit this situation is more rare in Latin than in English, but it really doesn't bother me in either language.

From anecdotal evidence (I'm thinking particularly of the footnotes in the Liber Usualis), it seems that how to handle this situation in Latin became so heated a debate around 1900 than the Congregation of Rites had to issue permission so that this could be sung either way.

I also find it interesting the the most recent Solesmes editions have handled this as I describe, rather than changing the melody of the cadence. Something about altering the cadence melody to fit the textual stress on a verse-by-verse basis seems (to me) to interrupt the overall flow of psalmodic chant (rather than keeping the same melodic formula and naturally stressing the syllables as speech deems appropriate).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I agree with SkrpR.

Also, half way through Page's book, and he is confirming my long-held suspicion that our scrupulosity regarding Latin accent patterns is... ridiculous and made up somewhat misplaced.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Adam, Christopher Page's book The Christian West and It's Singers?
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    I really liked this book, rather heavy to pick up though. Can you give me an indication of what you were reading in the book? I don't have time to re-read the entire book and being an old lady my mind is in need of a little push now and then. I am not disagreeing with you by the way, and have no desire for an online disagreement. However, I am working on a project this summer having to do with priestly chants in the vernacular and would like information (thoughts) about the accent patterns of both Latin and English. Thanks
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Caveat: I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've always suspected that the "rules" regarding accents and intonation in Latin were not "natural," that is- that they didn't have much to do with the way Latin was ever actually spoken by people for whom it was their native language.

Of course, since my familiarity with Latin studies is very minimal, I had no way to support this suspicion. And all sorts of really smart people drone on and on about circumflexes and arsis and how the important thing in Latin was syllable length and so forth. Clearly these people know better than me.

But, still- it just struck me as... stupid made-up school-marmish unnatural somewhat artificial.

Page confirms my suspicions by pointing out at least two things:

-The "rules" of Latin grammar and rhetoric from Classical Antiquity were based on Greek, with the early Latin grammarians importing and imposing essentially alien concepts of a tonal language onto Latin.

-The Franco-Roman framers of what is now called Gregorian chant were, in addition to attempting to systematize and disseminate Roman plainsong, were engaged in an attempt to "restore" and understand Latin grammar and poetry which had been (to some extent) lost. They seem to have been overly-scrupulous in their pronunciation and declamation rules, based on centuries-old treatises that they could not possibly have fully understood and which were in many ways artificial in the first place.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Well it is true I am sure that Latin was not spoken in 7th century Gaul the way it was spoken in 4th century Rome but we would need to understand how it was pronounced when the chants were written. I doubt we will ever really know just as we will probably never really know a lot of things about the way singing occurred more than a 1000 years ago. Of course if we could devise a nice time machine.....
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    From what you shared, Adam, it seems to me if we're sure of anything in this area it's that we're just not sure. And even as a overly-trained musician, I feel the same about historically "accurate" performances. The concept is pure fiction. Now, I'm not saying that we should avoid such study, just that there's a certain magic spot or zone with regard to how seriously to take it all: stay uninformed and end up with a less-than-successful musical product, or go in too far and get so concerned with some of the details that the performance misses the point.

With regard to chant and accent patterns, it seems to me if you're fond of the "traditional" Latin-based melodies (as I am), there is really no need or adapt them too much (if at all). Again, plenty of other people who are held in far greater esteem disagree with me about that, but the only arguments I've actually heard are for reasons that either don't concern me, go over my head, or both. Of course, if you want to come up with your own chant-inspired melodies or psalmtone formulas for English, be my guest; there are a number of good reasons these could be helpful.

My concern lies mostly with those who say it is impossible or never acceptable to do so. This seems to me to, in some manner, relegate the Latin-based melodies to a kind of musical footnote - to paraphrase Dr. Mahrt - the way that your crazy uncle gets "pride of place" at the holiday dinner table even though nobody's much concerned about what he has to say.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    historically "accurate" performances

I think that most people if the fields of early music performance realized that this is a misnomer and that the best they can do is to strive for "historically informed" performance, taking advantage of the best that scholarship and research has to offer, tempered with wise musical sense.
    Thanked by 2francis Adam Wood
  • francis
    CHG:

...And the "wise musical sense" is 99% of the formula.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think that most people if the fields of early music performance realized that this is a misnomer and that the best they can do is to strive for "historically informed" performance, taking advantage of the best that scholarship and research has to offer, tempered with wise musical sense.

...And the "wise musical sense" is 99% of the formula.

Exactly my point.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And mine.

I don't want to give the impression I'm anti-intellectual (or whatever) on these points. And of course, with regards to "rules" and so forth- even when artificial, they then guided the creations that follow them, so understanding them is important.

But grammar (like music theory) is a tool for understanding the mysterious process of inspired creation, and should not be used as a bludgeon.

Going off on a tangent.....

Some people, when classroom theory disagrees with real-world creation, assume that the real-world is at fault. This is what I call the "school-marm" impulse, and it has precedence going back to Zeno's paradox. (Because, of course, the sensible thing to do is decide that motion - which we can see and experience - must be an illusion, because we came up with a logical explanation of why nothing can move.)

That's not to say that logic and reason and school-room theory aren't useful, just that they aren't everything. Or as GK Chesterton said:

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is nearly reasonable, but not quite. Life is not an illogicality; yet it is a trap for logicians. It looks just a little more mathematical and regular than it is; its exactitude is obvious, but its inexactitude is hidden; its wildness lies in wait."

For a off-topic, sideways exploration of my issue here, see this TED Talk about dictionaries: http://www.ted.com/talks/erin_mckean_redefines_the_dictionary.html