“Six Days of Musical Heaven”: the 28th Sacred Music Colloquium
June 25 – June 30, 2018
Loyola University – Lakeshore*
The Church Music Association of America is proud to invite you to celebrate with us as we hold our 28th Colloquium in 2018, to be held at the Loyola University* Lakeshore Campus in Chicago, Illinois. The CMAA’s Sacred Music Colloquium continues to be the largest and most in-depth teaching conference and retreat on sacred music in the world. Our 2018 program offers new and expanded opportunities for learning, singing, listening, and interacting with some of the best minds and musicians in the Catholic world today! Liturgies will be held at the beautiful chapel at Loyola University, Madonna della Strada.
The CMAA Colloquium is primarily focused on instruction and experience in chant and the Catholic sacred music tradition, participation in chant choirs, lectures and performances and daily liturgies. During the week, you’ll be able to participate in ordinary and extraordinary form Masses, in Latin, Latin/Spanish and English, as well as morning Lauds and sung night prayer.
As a participant, you are an integral part of the beautiful music from the Roman Catholic tradition. Experience not only the traditional Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony of the church’s musical treasure, but also new compositions of English propers and ordinaries by various composers, as well as modern motets. For the first time, the Sacred Music Colloquium will also offer Mass in Spanish, with Spanish propers and a Latin Ordinary for our Wednesday liturgy.
Who should attend?
- Anyone interested in sacred music in Catholic worship
- Professional musicians
- Volunteer singers
- Priests, deacons and seminarians
- Extensive training in Gregorian chant under a world-class faculty, with choices of a chant class for beginners, a refresher course, a course on chant improvisation, a chant conducting course and schola chant courses for advanced men or women.
- Breakout sessions during the week on a variety of topics, from directing, organist classes, new music, vocal pedagogy, semiology, children’s programs, among others.
- Plenary lectures on topics of interest to all who love sacred music.
- Choral experience with one of four choirs singing sacred music of the masters such as Palestrina, Tallis, Casciolini, Morales, Richafort, Aretino and Brueckner, as well as contemporary composers, Allen, Brouwers and Rice. You’ll learn with our gifted faculty, with choices of a beginning polyphony choir for those new to polyphony, or three choirs for more experienced singers.
- Daily liturgies with careful attention to musical settings in English and Latin.
- A gala welcome reception and dinner at the Mundelein Auditorium on campus.
- Individual training in vocal production and technique.
- Training for priests, deacons, seminarians in the sung Mass (these sessions are not restricted to clergy).
- Printed music book, including the chant and polyphony repertory for liturgies, included with your registration.
- Your own copy of The Parish Book of Chant, 2nd edition.
- Book sales from the CMAA warehouse. We offer discounts on our books to all attendees and an extra 10% discount to CMAA members.
General registration information
Check or credit card payment must accompany registration. Mailed registration forms must be postmarked on or before March 1 (Early Bird) or May 9 (Regular). Registrations postmarked after May 9 will be charged a $50 late fee. You may register online at the CMAA Shop website: ONLINE REGISTRATION. Mailed registrations must be received at the CMAA Office (by mail or email) by the close of business, June 7. After June 7, registration is only available by telephone by calling our office at (505) 263-6298 on a space-available basis.
Dormitory housing will be available on the Loyola University campus. Faculty will be housed on-campus as well.
The conference hotel for Colloquium 2018 is the Hampton Inn, located at 1209 W. Albion Avenue, Chicago, IL 60626, 1-312-265-5800, in easy walking distance to the campus. A special conference rate of $169/night (plus taxes) at the conference hotel is available until May 25, 2018. MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS
* The CMAA is not affiliated with Loyola University and the Sacred Music Colloquium is not sponsored by Loyola University.