June 22 – 27, 2020
Jesuit High School
UPDATE: SACRED MUSIC COLLOQUIUM 2020 CANCELLED DUE TO PANDEMIC
The Church Music Association of America is proud to invite you to celebrate with us as we hold our 30th Colloquium in 2020, at Jesuit High School in Tampa, Florida. The CMAA’s Sacred Music Colloquium continues to be the largest and most in-depth teaching conference and retreat on sacred music in the world. Our 2020 program offers new and expanded opportunities for learning, singing, listening, and interacting with some of the best minds and musicians in the Catholic world today! All liturgies will be held at the lovely Jesuit High School Chapel.
The CMAA Colloquium is primarily focused on instruction and experience in chant and the Catholic sacred music tradition, participation in chant choirs, lectures and performances and daily liturgies. During the week, you’ll be able to participate in ordinary and extraordinary form Masses, in Latin, Latin/Spanish and English, Vespers, and daily sung morning and night prayer.
As a participant, you are an integral part of the beautiful music from the Roman Catholic tradition. Experience not only the traditional Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony of the church’s musical treasure, but also new compositions of English propers and ordinaries by various composers, as well as modern motets. For the third year, the Sacred Music Colloquium will also offer Mass in Spanish, with Spanish propers.
Who should attend?
- Anyone interested in sacred music in Catholic worship
- Professional musicians
- Volunteer singers
- Priests, deacons and seminarians
- Extensive training in Gregorian chant under a world-class faculty, with choices of a chant class for beginners, a refresher course for men and women, a course on chant improvisation, chant conducting, and schola chant courses for advanced men or women
- Breakout sessions during the week on a variety of topics, from directing, organist breakouts, chant conducting, semiology, children’s programs, new music, vocal pedagogy among others
- Plenary lectures on topics of interest to all who love sacred music
- Choral experience with one of four choirs singing sacred music of the masters such as Jernberg, Purcell, Lemme, Guerrero, Isaac, Lassus, LaRue, Gabrieli, Jacquet, Willaert, Rubbra, Dering and Josquin. You’ll learn with our gifted faculty, with choices of a beginning polyphony choir for those new to polyphony, and three choirs for more experienced singers.
- Daily liturgies with careful attention to musical settings in English, Spanish and Latin
- A gala welcome reception and dinner at the Doubletree Hotel Ballroom
- The always-popular CMAA “Follies”
- Individual training in vocal production and technique
- Training for priests, deacons, and seminarians in the sung Mass (not restricted to clergy and seminarians)
- A Music Book, including chant and polyphony, as part of registration
- Your own copy of The Parish Book of Chant, 2nd edition
- Book sales from the CMAA warehouse. We offer discounts on our books to all attendees and an extra 10% discount to CMAA members.
General registration information
Check or credit card payment must accompany registration. Mailed registration forms must be postmarked on or before March 1 (Early Bird) or May 10 (Regular). Registrations postmarked after May 10 will be charged a $50 late fee. You may register online at the CMAA Shop website: ONLINE REGISTRATION. Mailed registrations must be received at the CMAA Office (by mail or email) by the close of business, June 14. After June 14, registration is only available by telephone by calling our office at (505) 263-6298 on a space-available basis.
REGISTRATION FORM (pdf)
The conference hotel for Colloquium 2020 is the Doubletree Hotel Tampa Airport Westshore, located at 4500 W. Cypress St., Tampa, FL 33607, (813) 879-4800, a short drive to Jesuit High School. A special conference rate of $119/night (plus taxes) at the conference hotel is available until 5:00 pm (local time), May 26, 2020. Please help the CMAA meet its contractual obligations by staying at the conference hotel! Please be sure that you are part of our room block when you register. Shuttle bus service to and from Jesuit High School will be provided by the CMAA for all those participants who register in our room block.
MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS